All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ryryonline
join:2010-08-09
Orlando, FL

ryryonline

Need Suggestions: Want to upgrade Internet but too expensive.

I currently pay $130 per month for 1 HD DVR box, 2 digital adapters, a modem, 35 Mbps and Premier TV.

I want to upgrade Internet speeds, but doing so will put me out of my budget. Therefore, I am considering replacing the BHN DVR and modem with one of my own.

I need suggestions, though, on what equipment to buy and/or build. I'm sure I can find a modem on eBay, Craigslist, etc for not too much. What model number though?

And what about DVR? Would I look into MythTV as a backend? Are there other recommendations for a custom or alternative DVR?

Thanks so much!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Do not buy a DVR that claims to be ours off Craigslist or Ebay as they will not be activated. Consider a Tivo, Ceton or SiliconDust unit but the later two only if you have some technical experience behind you and understand that this tech is not trouble free...you will be tinkering from time to time.

As for modems they must be on this list »support.brighthouse.com/ ··· ce-9109/
ryryonline
join:2010-08-09
Orlando, FL

ryryonline

Thanks for the quick reply. In the case of my own custom DVR, does Brighthouse provide CableCards then? Do you know if there is a fee for them?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Sure do... $2.95 per month for the cable card and the tuning adapter is free.
davidg716
join:2013-12-02
Kissimmee, FL

davidg716 to ryryonline

to ryryonline
TiVo is nice. But you will pay about $800 upfront if you want lifetime TiVo service (which is about 3 years of paid service). For $1100 you could get a TiVo roamio 6 tuner and 2 tivo minis (that includes lifetime service for all 3 units) and replace your digital adapters and have whole house dvr, which is what I recently did (and love it). Without a BHN box You will lose the ability to watch on demand.

My bill is about $140 but that is with lightning 150. I was paying close to $170 with the BHN single hd dvr and 2 digital adapters.

So with the TiVo I save about $15 a month after you factor TiVo service costs, which in 3 years after I payoff the lifetime service per say. Will be $30 savings a month.
allowiches
join:2012-04-01
Palm Coast, FL

allowiches to ryryonline

to ryryonline
Don't buy a Tivo for any real cost savings. Do buy one for a better UI and overall product especially if you use streaming services (I don't). Just be aware as DavidG said, there is no on demand. Go to the Tivo site and watch their videos.
davidg716
join:2013-12-02
Kissimmee, FL

davidg716

If you have whole house dvr and several other boxes it is definitely a cost savings to buy a tivo 6 tuner and several minis. The minis work just like the regular TiVo box with the exception that they don't physically record anything, they just pull all of their programming from the roamio.

janderso1
Jim
MVM
join:2000-04-15
Saint Petersburg, FL

janderso1 to ryryonline

MVM

to ryryonline
Do you have a PC that can be used for the DVR? If not for either the Silicon Dust or Ceton would require you to buy another PC.

Have you called Brighthouse to see if the have a promo?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to ryryonline

Premium Member

to ryryonline
The thing he hasn't considered is the time to recover equipment costs. The OP wants the benefits immediately by the sound of it which means short term economic pain is unavoidable and depending on which way he goes it will be months or even years before return on investment is realized.