Search similar:

uniqs

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut to FaxCap

Anon

to FaxCap

Re: Fu&% this cold and this snow!

At least a few snowflakes landing on my head won't crack my skull open, as opposed to my roof crashing down

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
Another 10cm on Sunday night for Toronto.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to lugnut

to lugnut
said by lugnut :

At least a few snowflakes landing on my head won't crack my skull open, as opposed to my roof crashing down

No but 3 feet of snow on your roof could bring your roof crashing down.

My biggest worry here is what we will use for water this summer.

FaxCap

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut

Anon

said by FaxCap:

said by lugnut :

No but 3 feet of snow on your roof could bring your roof crashing down.

My biggest worry here is what we will use for water this summer.

Only idiots let the snow pile up to the point where it collapses a roof. I own and use a roof rake when the snow starts to pile up on the roof.

On the other hand, earthquakes strike without any warning, and one of these days, by all the expert accounts, the left coast is overdue for the 7-point-something thunderf*@% that will level half the province.

Snow is a nuisance when you're prepared for it but not excessively life threatening. One of these days though, a massive quake is gonna wipe the smug right off of BC's face and lower property values to Chibougamou prices

modemport
join:2013-08-26
Montreal, QC

modemport to TigerLord

to TigerLord
Click for full size

this crappy freaking cold is supposed to finally get better in a few days. 14 day range forecast indicates quite reasonable.

of course, weather services being what they are ...

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

Hydraglass

Premium Member

said by modemport:

this crappy freaking cold is supposed to finally get better in a few days. 14 day range forecast indicates quite reasonable.

of course, weather services being what they are ...

No - I believe it... I can feel the warmth in the sun now even on the most cold of days. It was -10 and windy today, but the snow was still melting off my driveway as the sun is getting stronger. Think of it this way - the sun's rays are as powerful now as they are on October 18th roughly (3 1/2 weeks from the equinox) - and we all know there's plenty of times we get days in the teens and up in mid-October -- so no matter how hard the bloody arctic cold tries to hang on, the sun is starting to win the battle slowly but surely. It was actually warm when I got in my car (after a brief shopping trip to Target) this afternoon. No matter how hard mother nature tries to screw us with cold, within 2-3 weeks the sun will be strong enough to be regularly melting stuff and making the days warm (above freezing - at least on clear days) - even if the nights still get stupidly cold. Doesn't look like much in the way of snow the next 2 weeks at least. Maybe the end is in sight.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to lugnut

to lugnut
said by lugnut :

the left coast is overdue for the 7-point-something thunderf*@% that will level half the province.

It will most likely occur on the west side of Vancouver Island...offshore. I think
we will get a good shaking and low lying areas like Richmond will face
liquefaction but "wipe out half the province"....I don't think so.
said by lugnut :

One of these days though, a massive quake is gonna wipe the smug right off of BC's face and lower property values to Chibougamou prices

If that's what makes you happy.

FaxCap

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Hydraglass

Premium Member

to Hydraglass
There is a huge difference between the beginning of March and the end of March as far as seasonal temperature is concerned. At the beginning daytime highs are around freezing, maybe a degree or two above. At the end you're pushing into double digits.

And yeah, even though you go outside to a morning that's around -10C or so, it "feels" warmer because of just how strong that sun is.

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

Hydraglass

Premium Member

said by Gone:

There is a huge difference between the beginning of March and the end of March as far as seasonal temperature is concerned. At the beginning daytime highs are around freezing, maybe a degree or two above. At the end you're pushing into double digits.

And yeah, even though you go outside to a morning that's around -10C or so, it "feels" warmer because of just how strong that sun is.

Definitely - my birthday is 3rd week in the month, so I have 40 some years of recollection of weather around that time as for some reason I always think of "what I was doing" around the b-day... the last many years it's been my wife taking me out for dinner at the Keg - which we usually only go to once a year - and I typically remember almost always being light jacket or sweater weather by then - a few years there was still snow or slush on the ground - but most years just the remnant snowbanks, and either comfortable or rainy/foggy weather - so no matter how pissy the winter is being, I'm pretty sure by 3 to 4 weeks from now we'll start having sweater weather. (Unless you're from Tuktoyaktuk, in which case we've been having sweater weather most of this winter!)
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
I've been noticing daylight is starting earlier and lasting longer.

Looks like March may be coming in like a lion: they're calling for 10 cm of snow Sunday evening.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira

Premium Member

I was hearing 5 cm coming tomorrow

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
Saw this pic and found it interesting... changes in the average temperature for January 2015.

Hopefully this will not become a trend.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Back in 2012 that mound of blue over top of Eastern North America was further to the east over Europe. And the big mound of dark red was over top of us.
Gone

Gone to koira

Premium Member

to koira
said by koira:

5-10cm on Sunday, and another 5-10cm again on Tuesday.
Walter Dnes
join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON

Walter Dnes to TigerLord

to TigerLord
It looks like many locations in southern Ontario could go through the entire month with no daytime highs above freezing, for the first time since February 1978. »www.cbc.ca/news/record-c ··· .2969022

•Kitchener/Waterloo »climate.weather.gc.ca/cl ··· eframe=2
•Hamilton »climate.weather.gc.ca/cl ··· eframe=2
•Toronto »climate.weather.gc.ca/cl ··· eframe=2
•Ottawa »climate.weather.gc.ca/cl ··· eframe=2
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi

Halifax says it's under no obligation to clear sidewalks at all....anyone else's city operates the same way?.....i know here they have 48 hrs. to clear them up.

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut

Anon

said by jaberi:

Halifax says it's under no obligation to clear sidewalks at all....anyone else's city operates the same way?.....i know here they have 48 hrs. to clear them up.

In Mississauga the city only clears sidewalks along main thoroughfares and bus routes.

Residential sidewalks are up to the homeowners to keep clear.

It was the same arrangement when I lived on Montreal's South Shore 20 years ago.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
said by jaberi:

That's considerably more messy then you put it.

The City is in charge of clearing sidewalks, and hire contractors to do the clearing, some of which are currently not getting paid due to lack of actually doing what they were paid. Also, if you clear the sidewalk the contractor gets paid and can file a complaint, i know it sounds odd, but it's the same thing they can do if someone with a private plow clears their street.

(mind you someone is quite wrong about not paying a tax for it, we are VERY much paying a tax for sidewalk clearing)

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to TigerLord

to TigerLord
Accuweather saying up to 20cm Sunday night.
jaberi

jaberi to BonezX

to BonezX
said by BonezX:

said by jaberi:

That's considerably more messy then you put it.

The City is in charge of clearing sidewalks, and hire contractors to do the clearing, some of which are currently not getting paid due to lack of actually doing what they were paid. Also, if you clear the sidewalk the contractor gets paid and can file a complaint, i know it sounds odd, but it's the same thing they can do if someone with a private plow clears their street.

(mind you someone is quite wrong about not paying a tax for it, we are VERY much paying a tax for sidewalk clearing)

thx!.......here read what they say...»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/n ··· .2973494

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

Already looked through it, but it's basically the city saying it's not their problem it's the contractor, but they won't give you the name of the contractor, basically bureaucratic bullshit that we seem to deal with too much out here.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by koira:

5-10cm on Sunday, and another 5-10cm again on Tuesday.

We were hit here in St. Catharines in the late afternoon with a near-whiteout scenario... it tapered off in the evening but it looked like half a foot of fluffy snow.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira

Premium Member

It didn't amount to anything more than a few mood flakes here in mississauga

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
Just how much accumulated snow do you guys have on the ground over there?

modemport
join:2013-08-26
Montreal, QC

modemport to jaberi

to jaberi
montreal will do the sidewalks with those mini snow plows. gravel often gets put down on them.

for the main streets.

i'm on a small side street and often it takes a long time to get cleared. i'll walk on the street in that case.

the first storm we had which created ice everywhere, the city/boroughs messed up badly.

tons of people couldn't get out of their homes due to the ice. the mayor bluntly refused to admit the city was responsible and ordered an investigation.

post-report he triumphantly declared it was the boroughs' mistake.

in actuality, it was his fault. it didn't help he chopped the boroughs' budgets for clearing by 7% i believe.

traditionally, the city waits as long as it thinks it can get away with cleanup.

when it thinks no more snow, that's it. get another bad snowstorm and good luck dealing with it.

saving money is more important than people's safety.

so give thanks to this new mayor who thinks being in charge of the city means it's anyone else's fault.

the sidewalk on my street 2 days ago when i was last outside was not cleared. there was a path through it due to people walking along it. i stayed on the street.

when i lived in the burbs growing up, my side of the street had no sidewalk; the other side of the street was on the side of a park. whoever was responsible for clearing sidewalks in front of their homes i never knew.
jaberi

jaberi

saving money, on the sidewalks only to pay out in lawsuits...makes no sense.
i always said our politicians should be paid per performance, and that includes their BS bonuses and pensions.

interesting thread and sharing of information....we had a mild winter, but then again we are used to cold ones and never get the snow you people get buried with...to me -30 is not cold....once it starts dipping past -35 is another story.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to lugnut

Premium Member

to lugnut
said by lugnut :

In Mississauga the city only clears sidewalks along main thoroughfares and bus routes.

Residential sidewalks are up to the homeowners to keep clear

My street is neither and I get regular sidewalk plows. I'm convinced a senior city bureaucrat lives nearby.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

Just how much accumulated snow do you guys have on the ground over there?

A lot. My front yard has had many, many feet , more than waist high for what feels like more than a month but there's also an accumulation from snow blowing. I think this is the longest I've seen in a long time with a huge accumulation of snow that never melts, it's just there until a mythical day when we see something green...

I expect this is similar to what people four or five hours north experience yearly but since I've only lived in the south I have no idea.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

We were hit here in St. Catharines in the late afternoon with a near-whiteout scenario... it tapered off in the evening but it looked like half a foot of fluffy snow.

Yeah, it was a lake effect band. Moved down into Fort Erie later in the day.
Gone

Gone to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

A lot. My front yard has had many, many feet , more than waist high for what feels like more than a month but there's also an accumulation from snow blowing. I think this is the longest I've seen in a long time with a huge accumulation of snow that never melts, it's just there until a mythical day when we see something green...

Same. Never seen snow this deep for so long on the ground. Next week is still going to be below freezing, but the week after that is forecasted for a major warmup with temperatures above 50. The ensuing floods are going to be another event to add books for this year's historical events.