spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Jordan12
@206.81.255.x

Jordan12

Anon

Using Splitter for Voip Phone and Micro Cell Signal Booster

I am working with a group of 4 individuals within one office. We operate a Voip phone in the office and recently purchased a Micro Cell to boost our cell phone service within the office. Both devices (Voip and Micro Cell) require an Ethernet cable connection but we only have ONE ethernet wall jack...therefore I purchased a Splitter to get two ethernet connections out of the wall...it seems the Micro Cell works fine through the splitter, but the Voip phone does not work when connected through the Splitter, even when it is the only device using the Splitter...can someone please shed light on why this is? Do you have any recc. for how to get an ethernet connection for both devices?

Maxx2006
join:2013-02-02
Guelph, ON

Maxx2006

Was not aware they made a Ethernet splitter. How bout just a cheap switch?

atcotr
@wideopenwest.com

atcotr to Jordan12

Anon

to Jordan12
You can't "split" Ethernet connections like you can with analog phone lines. Each PC, phone, or gadget must have its own line back to a switch. There are some jerry-rigged methods to get two 100 Mbps ports out of one Cat5e lines that rely on the fact that Cat5e includes 4 pairs, but 100BASE-T only need 2 pairs. However this doesn't adhere to the specification. The correct way to connect two devices in a room with only port is to plug an Ethernet switch into the port, and plug everything else into the switch.
atcotr

atcotr to Jordan12

Anon

to Jordan12
If the IP phone has an integrated Ethernet switch, plug the AT&T Microcell into the IP phone's second Ethernet port.
giqcass
join:2014-03-10

giqcass to atcotr

to atcotr
said by atcotr :

You can't "split" Ethernet connections like you can with analog phone lines. Each PC, phone, or gadget must have its own line back to a switch.

I imagine he is using the wrong terminology as you are quite correct.

@OP please give us a part number or a model number. Anything more descriptive of both the "splitter" and the Voip phone. I suspect you may have a switch and the VOIP phone is not getting assigned an IP address. It may be necessary to assign everything manually. DHCP nay not work behind the switch.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

1 recommendation

nunya to Jordan12

MVM

to Jordan12
The ethernet "splitter" (or cheater) works by making use of the blue and brown pairs. You must have a "splitter" on the far end (by the switch / router) as well in order for it to work.
If you simply plug one splitter in the wall, you will get one working port and one dead port.

Jordan12
@206.81.255.x

Jordan12 to atcotr

Anon

to atcotr
Thanks for your help guys. Definitely not savvy with this. The second Ethernet port on the IP phone works for the microcell connection. Again, thanks for the help, made me look like a hero to the team.