camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

Use your heartbeat as your password...

I'm still trying to figure out what I think of this...

»www.nymi.com/

Seamlessly unlock devices, remember passwords and more, using your heart's unique signature.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

1 recommendation

Kilroy

MVM

No thank you. I don't want to wear something to prove who I am.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

1 recommendation

jaykaykay to camper

MVM

to camper
This much convenience is beyond me! And, think about it. If one's heart rythems changed, as they tend to do under stress, illness, etc., I wonder how this device would really work. No thanks. I take my passwords etc, as something more valuable than relying upon a bracelet.
join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA

1 recommendation

8744675 to camper

to camper
Until you have a heart attack and your password changes.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

1 recommendation

sivran to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
said by jaykaykay:

as they tend to do under stress, illness, etc.

"Unlock the computer or go to jail/I shoot you/the dog gets it!"
"I can't! You've got me all nervous now there's no way I could do it!"

Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned) to camper

to camper
Soon as i seen the reserve menu item i seen bogus device and or vapor ware. Even if released it is a gimmick that will never really take off. Stuff like this is prone to failing. Like others said your heart rate etc change. In fact if you take your heart rate now and then again 2 minutes later the rate will change. The idea here is less rate and more the rhythm. We should all have very distinct heart rhythms that will be almost as unique as a finger print. But our own rhythm will change based on emotional state illness etc. Meaning this device could only unlock your device based on what mood you was in at the time.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

Blackbird to 8744675

Premium Member

to 8744675
said by 8744675:

Until you have a heart attack and your password changes.

It will be a five-step process:
1. User with normal heart rhythm locks his/her critical devices and important passwords using Nymi
2. User experiences a long spell of atrial fibrillation
3. Abnormal heart beat blocks access to user's critical devices and important passwords
4. User experiences extreme frustration, followed by major heart attack with ventricular fibrillation; access still denied
5. User dies; access dies with user
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

LOL ...

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to camper

Premium Member

to camper
Aside from the usual concerns...

No thanks. I don't want to carry around yet another device, then have to buy some sort of protector/case for it, and yet another device that I have to remember to charge.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

Lol
said by Cthen:

Aside from the usual concerns...

No thanks. I don't want to carry around yet another device, then have to buy some sort of protector/case for it, and yet another device that I have to remember to charge.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

1 recommendation

onebadmofo to camper

Premium Member

to camper
How bout we lose the battery operated devices and either have solar rechargeable or kinetic rechargeable devices?

Or hell, lose the device entirely and just go for DNA readers. Touch it and it grabs DNA from sweat and oil on the fingers.

....UH...wait...scratch that DNA idea. We'll have guys shooting loads onto those readers just to 'see' what happens. And then you have to go and touch it next. Yeah, no thanks. :vomit: ...that would make for a funny TV sketch though.

Yeah, solar or kinetic recharging is the way to go.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

Use a gimmick to charge a gimmick... I like it....
Expand your moderator at work

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC

Chubbzie to camper

to camper

Re: Use your heartbeat as your password...

Prefer to use my synaptic patterns as my password. Lets all give it up for heart arrhythmia, yay.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Canada

MarkAW to camper

Premium Member

to camper
"Royal Bank of Canada (RBC), MasterCard and other Canadian issuing banks have begun pilot testing an NFC version of Nymi, a biometrically authenticated wristband that uses the wearer’s unique cardiac rhythm to verify their identity."
»www.nfcworld.com/2014/11 ··· ayments/

Wow leave it to Canada.

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

jap

Premium Member

Jeremy Bornstein, head of payments innovation at RBC says:
“The Nymi band currently uses Bluetooth Low Energy to communicate to devices,” [...] “they can leave their phone at home while they go for a run or run an errand and conveniently and securely buy a coffee or groceries with a tap of the wrist”

Cool! I work for a hospital with thousands of stored heart recordings of RBC customers which I can identify by their co-pays. Just need to get me one of them there newfangled RBC wrist bands, capture some transmissions and start feeding spoofed bluetooth signals to PoS & ATM receivers. w00t!
Expand your moderator at work

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to camper

Premium Member

to camper

Re: Use your heartbeat as your password...

Yay for massive biometric data scraping.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

I wonder how many health insurance companies will be "partnering" with this firm to gather what amounts to an EEG data?

Will your health insurance rates rise if your "password" changes?
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

I would not put it passed those criminals to try anything to raise people's rates.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

1 recommendation

NOYB to camper

Premium Member

to camper
Doesn't iWatch have this (heart rhythm authentication) built in already? If not, next version probably will.

I'm a bit surprised no one has brought up where this is ultimately heading.

Wearable or implantable bio / medical monitoring and location tracking.
You have heart attack etc. and emergency crew is automatically dispatched to your location.
Sprinting a horizontal quarter mile with someone? With whom and where, etc. data is all logged and available to authorities, politician etc. Can you say blackmail?
Someone kills you and everyone within range is known and suspect. Now put that on the other foot where it's you who was within range of someone who died or was killed.

That's the short list. I'm sure the list is a mile long.

Hope all of you are ready because it is coming at you at the speed of light.

If you think your privacy has been eroded to near non existent over the last decade or two. Think again. You ain't seen nothing yet.

Are you just settling for taking what you can get? Or are you demanding better?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· RCLeFSJo
NOYB

1 edit

1 recommendation

NOYB

Premium Member

They are going to tag everyone like cattle/livestock and treat them like the sharecropper slaves they view you as.

Give you a basic substance existence, tell you where you can or can't live, work, etc. Oh wait they already tell us where we can and can't live via urban growth boundaries and locking it all up almost exclusively for the mass production home builders. And there by extension where you can work. They remove all your choices and then tell you you're free. Some freedom.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

2 recommendations

EUS to camper

Premium Member

to camper
Well it is the year of the sheep.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

2 recommendations

Ian1 to camper

Premium Member

to camper
Call me a cynic, but I suspect the drive towards people using a single authenticator, be it a wrist-band, thumbprint or Iris, is for marketing, not security.

The data-aggregators wet-dream is a device that ties all of your online activity together. And if you were to use the same device for off-line purchases too? Wow.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
said by EUS:

Well it is the year of the sheep.

Bahhh...
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
Oh it would improve security, But yes it would also improve marketing even more. Just think of the eye scanning ads in "Minority Report" I would not be shocked if that came one day.