jkaufman
Premium Member
join:2013-09-26
Tyler, TX

jkaufman

Premium Member

Wierd upstream bonding

Click for full size
After a maintenance windows last night it looks like south Tyler FINALLY has upstream bonding. One weird thing i noticed is that one of the upstream channels is 16QAM while the other is 64QAM. Is that normal?

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

moldypickle

Premium Member

which modem are you using?

It's also just the start of upstream bonding. It's still primarily a fall back channel as they're not even fully using one of the channels yet.
jkaufman
Premium Member
join:2013-09-26
Tyler, TX

jkaufman

Premium Member

CM820A
jkaufman

jkaufman to moldypickle

Premium Member

to moldypickle
today upstream 1 changed to 64QAM. Since the maintenance window the other night by internet has been unreliable. It will go out randomly throughout the day for 30 seconds to 2 minutes.

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

moldypickle

Premium Member

You'll have that while they do the work and configure things. Should level off in a couple days after

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to jkaufman

to jkaufman
hmm also looks like you guys have 12 or 16 downstream bonding and the upstream extends to 43.2MHz which seems odd as most upstream paths only go out to 40MHz or 42MHz. I know that my area was going out to 41.2MHz on a 40MHz topped return path and it got downgraded to a 3.2MHz wide carrier at 37MHz instead of 6.4MHz wide.
Jowmu
join:2009-05-04
Lubbock, TX

Jowmu to jkaufman

to jkaufman
if there are still some old DOCSIS 1.x modems in your node, they will have to leave 1 upstream at 16QAM until they are replaced, D1 modems can't connect at 64QAM. This COULD be one reason why you see both 16 and 64 QAMs.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Jowmu:

if there are still some old DOCSIS 1.x modems in your node, they will have to leave 1 upstream at 16QAM until they are replaced, D1 modems can't connect at 64QAM. This COULD be one reason why you see both 16 and 64 QAMs.

that is not the case the DOCSIS1.x modems can't even use the DOCSIS 2.0 upstreams at 6.4MHz wide anyways only 3.2MHz wide which the op doesn't have.