All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
smokinyoa
join:2012-09-05

smokinyoa

[DSL] Upgrade nightmare

Decided to upgrade my speed from 3Mbps to 24 Mbps. Frontier technician came out with new Actiontec F2250 modem, hooked it up, said your good and left. Thought everything was good until wife got home...

She can no longer stream Netflix on either a WD Media Player, or a Roku Streaming Stick. Even though both devides say connected to network, Netflix wont connect. Also our Brother all in one will connect only briefly, then disconnects before I can use it.

All of these devices worked fine before the "upgrade". Whats weird is the wd media player plays youtube, pandora, etc... just not Netflix. So I know it is connected. Went out and bought the Roku Stick, still no Netflix.

After 30 min on the phone with Frontier tech, he gave up and just kept repeating "so your internet is working now?" He said he could not troubleshoot peripherals, and I agree with him... but jeez, everything was working fine before they "upgraded" me!

Something else I find odd is since then I can not get on certain sites. My homepage usatoday.com won't load, a random search on Kmart.com wouldn't load, and even though this site loaded, when I hit submit to post just kept getting connection reset error. Finally used my phone to post.

Anyone have any suggestions for such a vague problem?
atigerman
join:2002-01-19
Tigerton, WI

atigerman

Sounds like a firewall issue and maybe a DNS issue?

I'm not familiar with the F2250 modem...
smokinyoa

smokinyoa

Thanks for suggestion, turned off firewall in modem config page. Still have same issues.
jman_131
Premium Member
join:2012-10-25
Huntington, WV

jman_131 to smokinyoa

Premium Member

to smokinyoa
Can you ping netflix.com? and try a tracerout of it as well... I'm not sure if they use a different address for streaming services...I had netflix before, but it was many years ago.
lawsoncl
join:2008-10-28
Spirit Lake, ID

lawsoncl to smokinyoa

to smokinyoa

What speed does the modem says it's synching the DSL lines to? You might be paying for a 24-meg plan and getting far less (like all us other suckers now paying for a 6-meg plan in an area that Frontier says can only get 1.5-meg). You try speedtest.net yet?

Are you connected to these devices wireless or wired? Might be a wireless issue.
smokinyoa

smokinyoa

I am just under 24 on speedtest, around 23.8. Most issues are on the wireless side, and when I use my phone as a hotspot all devices connect and function normally.

The only wired computer is my desktop and I know this makes no sense but since upgrade I still can't get on usatoday.com or post on this site, using my phone to do that.

Finally convinced them to send a tech back out so maybe he can get it figured out soon.

frontiertech
@frontier.com

frontiertech

Anon

could be a wifi issue channel? 2250 out of the box is set to auto..and wpa (any)

also make the sure the wifi is set to AES & TKIP both..less likely to have issue.