All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

PaCK Fan
join:2012-01-19
Richmond, VA

PaCK Fan

Fried Battery Back Up, must wait for Fios?

During the storms here in Richmond VA over the weekend we lost power. When power came back on I had reset my Fios, no problem. But a few hours later during another power issue our Fios back up battery box got fried, so no Fios this week until Friday (no TV, internet, phone). Kids of course are going through withdrawals much like a junkie.

Can I find one of these back up boxes on my own somewhere or must I wait till Friday when they show up to replace? Any replace on on their own?
Thanks.
fcfc2
join:2014-05-17

fcfc2

Hi,
If it were just the battery, they are readily available on line, and I think you could even find one at Home Depot, but it sounds like your issue is much more extensive and may involve more than just the BBU but possibly the ONT too. So no there is no place to get such equipment except from Verizon. The only good news is that you may get a newer GPON ONT. Sorry.
chewypgh
join:2007-12-17
Pittsburgh, PA

chewypgh to PaCK Fan

to PaCK Fan
I had the same thing happen a few months ago. My BBU died after a power outage. I called Verizon and was told that they couldn't get a tech out for a few days. I called back the next morning to see if they could send someone sooner and a tech showed up later that same day. It might be worth calling them again to see if they can get someone out there.

PaCK Fan
Richmond, VA

PaCK Fan

yeah, its definitely not the battery, its the box that got fried, apparently this happened a lot during sandy in which a lot of boxes got fried when the power came back on.
Jonasjlp
join:2011-06-22
Downingtown, PA

Jonasjlp to PaCK Fan

to PaCK Fan
yeah you're out of luck. we used to fill our trucks up with these after thunderstorms rolled thru because you would be replacing them for 3 days straight. Guess the theory is it's better for that to fry instead of blowing out the ONT. You'd think they could put an inline fuse in and fix the issue all together.

PaCK Fan
Richmond, VA

PaCK Fan

they came yesterday and replaced on the boxes in my garage, not just the BBU box. I must say, it was excellent customer service provided by FIOS because my original service appt was for Friday but I did an on line chat yesterday morning and they were able to bump it up to yesterday.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to PaCK Fan

Premium Member

to PaCK Fan
You should hook your ONT BBU up to a UPS. Then that would have avoided your issues. I have mine connected to an APC UPS with an extended runtime battery. So my ONT will stay up for 15 to 18 hours before it has to switch to power from the ONT BBU and I lose internet and TV. So for up to 15 to 18 hours during a power outage I can still have access to Internet and TV and phone. It's certainly much better than having to wait for a tech to come out because something gets fried and you lose all services.
Myzteziz
join:2014-06-26
Port Richey, FL

Myzteziz

A UPS or any surge protector isn't a guarantee the ONT or BBU still won't fail. When my ONT quit last summer because of a really bad lightning storm in the area even though a lightning strike didn't hit directly, the charge from one nearby was so bad my UPS went nuts beeping as if it was having a seizure and I still lost the ONT. They have limits. Yes it's an extra layer of protection and in most cases might prevent a lot from happening, but it's not a guarantee.

PaCK Fan
Richmond, VA

PaCK Fan to aaronwt

to aaronwt
How do you use your TV and router when your power is out?

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler

said by PaCK Fan:

If you have the BBU, your router, STB and TV on UPSs, they don't know the power is out and will be usable so long as their respective UPSs are supplying power. Once they go down, you'll still have phone for whatever time the battery in the BBU lets you.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to PaCK Fan

Premium Member

to PaCK Fan
said by PaCK Fan:

I use APC UPSs with extended runtime batteries for all my electronic devices. So i can continue using my Tvs, gaming systems, PCs, receivers, sub woofers etc when the power is out. I live in a condo so a home generator is not an option.

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm to PaCK Fan

Premium Member

to PaCK Fan
said by PaCK Fan:

»www.provantage.com/tripp ··· L1TE.htm. I added an external battery pack to mine. Additionally I have a generator.

OT: I am visiting Richmond this week up from New Orleans. Apparently I was the only adult in the neighborhood that thought the snow was cool. I am sure my friend's neighbors think I am crazy.
tex_ka95
join:2014-12-29
White Plains, NY

tex_ka95 to PaCK Fan

to PaCK Fan
We had a power surge in my condo a couple of weeks ago and a bunch of us had to have the battery backup replaced. Mine was connected to a surge protector too. The tech said the newer ones should survive better because they are grounded unlike the older ones.