MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to sbe171

MVM

to sbe171

Re: USG 110 low throughput

said by sbe171:

ZyXEL declare a 1600Mbps on their website for the model I've bought.
I've bought it and paid a lot of money for it, especially for this feature.
Now it is not performing to spec.
I don't think it is OK.

I do not thinks its OK as well.
Try the following:
Hard reset to return the 110 to factory default. The hard reset requires that your place a something that fits into the reset hole, press in for 15 seconds while the unit is powered on then let go. After 5 to 8 minutes you should be able to start you testing. By default the firewall is on. Do not enable any anti-x applications. if the tests meet your expectations start to configure to your needs. If the tests do not meet your expectations call ZyXEL support and find out why the unit is not performing to your satisfaction ... they may offer a RMA and replace your unit because it may be defective.
sbe171
join:2014-11-30

sbe171

Thank you but I've tried this already - see message 5 on this thread.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

My apologies. Contact ZyXEL and request [demand] a replacement. If they do not replace or try hard to fix the situation I would switch to another brand like you contemplated.
sbe171

sbe171

Solution to this:

I ordered a new ZyWALL 110 and it arrived and now everything works 100%.
Out of the box or after installing my configuration - it's all good.

ZyXEL logged into my USG and agreed something is wrong.
They will let me know this week what they intend to do about it, in the meantime I am trying to return the USG to the store.
sbe171

sbe171

After a few hours of working, ZyWALL performance dropped like in USG. Special firmware sent by ZyXEL doesn't help. I've given up on this, and I will detail in a new thread later. Clearly they are not able to deliver the speed.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

What a real shame --- must be an anomaly -- we will be very interested in how ZyXEL handles this .... I am hopeful that they will do the right thing. I surmise that its a bad batch you've been exposed too ....
JPedroT
Premium Member
join:2005-02-18

JPedroT to sbe171

Premium Member

to sbe171
It probably will not help, but I'd like to see a packet capture from between the ZyWALL WAN interface and the "modem/media converter".

The capture should be started while the ZyWALL is off and then bootup and then until the slowness happens.

It will probably be quite large files, but it would be interesting to see how the patterns look like.
sbe171

sbe171 to mozerd

to mozerd
It's not an anomaly, as two different units are delivering only 10% of the promised speed.
Notably I've had USG 100 before, and it also delivered only 60% of the promised speed.
I believe this company has a problem and I will publish once I have more conctrete data.
sbe171

1 edit

sbe171 to JPedroT

to JPedroT
The ZyWALL went back to the shop for refund.
It was an emergency measure that failed.
Unfortunately I can't return the USG since it is past return period.

This matter is handled by ZyXEL support and I would be delighted to see a solution from them.
I don't, however, expect one at this point.
I've orered a Fortinet and I'll start comparing apples to oranges as soon as I have the chance.
frantid
join:2014-09-14
iceland

1 recommendation

frantid to sbe171

to sbe171
If you go to the monitor tab, what do the ethernet ports report their speed as? Are there any collisions on the network?

Do you have session control on or bandwidth management on?

Have you tried turning off IPV6? might be your modem doesn't work with the UTM IPv6.

Any error in the logs?

How about multiple attempts to connect to the wan interface of the device from the wan side? Have you tried to disable the WAN to device security rule? Just in case you are getting a lot of connection attempts.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to sbe171

Premium Member

to sbe171
said by sbe171:

It's not an anomaly, as two different units are delivering only 10% of the promised speed.
Notably I've had USG 100 before, and it also delivered only 60% of the promised speed.
I believe this company has a problem and I will publish once I have more conctrete data.

Quite correct, its an issue with your ISP connection to these routers. One of the two is doing something or interpreting something in a non-standard way. The chances of getting two lemons is highly unlikely. Thus it appears to be a handshaking issue that is not easily resolved. Pity.
sbe171

sbe171 to frantid

to frantid
Monitor - 1000M/Full
Session control - off
BWM - off
IPv6 - where do I turn that off?
Error in logs - no
All WAN to device is blocked with log.
There are no logs of WAN to device.
frantid
iceland

1 recommendation

frantid

What about the port to your switch for your pc, any collisions there?

At System/IPV6 you can enable/disable it.

Did you disable the default rule for WAN to Device. It allows connections for vpn, maintenance by default.

edit:
Is this pppoe or is the modem doing pppoe?

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd to sbe171

MVM

to sbe171
said by sbe171:

Notably I've had USG 100 before, and it also delivered only 60% of the promised speed

Yes that is my experience as well with a USG100.... very disappointing 4 sure.
sbe171

sbe171 to frantid

to frantid
IPv6 is not enabled.
All original rules are disabled and only the ones I wte are enabled.
I test with firewall off and on.
If firewall off was OK then I could trace which rules makes the problem.
It is not pppoe, the modem is doing DOCSIS.
sbe171

sbe171 to Anav

to Anav
I agree this is probably the case.
Unfortunately my ISP is not willing to work on it.
I've tested one other router with this modem and it works at 100%.
I will now wait for the Fortinet router to see how it performs.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by sbe171:

....... Connect through ASUS RT-N66U - a very simple home router - I get the full 500 on test, 270 using my program.

Since the ASUS RT-N66U provide the full 500 on test, 270 using your program I highly doubt its your ISP in view of the fact that your cable modem is a DOCSIS 3 spec. Any ISP utilizing DOCSIS 3 must conform to the spec.
frantid
iceland

frantid to sbe171

to sbe171
Personally I would try some MTU tests. Probably use a local .il ip address you can ping and not dsl reports though.

»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »How do I find my optimum MTU setting?

DOCSIS is supposed to have 1518 at the modem to ISP side. Maybe the Zywall doesn't understand as is doing excess fragmentation.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to mozerd

Premium Member

to mozerd
said by mozerd:

said by sbe171:

....... Connect through ASUS RT-N66U - a very simple home router - I get the full 500 on test, 270 using my program.

Since the ASUS RT-N66U provide the full 500 on test, 270 using your program I highly doubt its your ISP in view of the fact that your cable modem is a DOCSIS 3 spec. Any ISP utilizing DOCSIS 3 must conform to the spec.

Yup, but sometimes IT devices with less fidelity and lower standards let anything pass. If the fortinet works fine then I would be more inclined to state that the zywall is doing something non-standard, or is unable cope with the parameters being provided by the modem.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by Anav:

but sometimes IT devices with less fidelity and lower standards let anything pass.

Very True, BUt I for one do not buy into that theory in the case of sbe171 See Profile

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

No argument, just wondering why 171 is tripping over this and no one else (yet)?

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

1 edit

mozerd to sbe171

MVM

to sbe171
said by sbe171:

I will now wait for the Fortinet router to see how it performs.

which model did you order?
Their UTM products have remarkable specs.
sbe171

sbe171

100D

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by sbe171:

100D

sbe171

sbe171 to Anav

to Anav
My previous plan with this ISP was 200, and I got all of it with the USG.
Now I have 500 that required a new modem, and I am getting distictively less than before.
This leads me to believe the new modem and router are incompatible in some way.
Still, I am not in the business of finding out who's right and who's wrong.
I just want my connection to work properly.
So if it works with Asus and not with ZyXEL, then a logical next step is to try a different brand.
I think it would have been a very good idea to try to work it out with the carrier, but they were not intersted.
I was even considering asking for the old modem back, but I prefer moving forward.
JPedroT
Premium Member
join:2005-02-18

JPedroT

Premium Member

said by sbe171:

My previous plan with this ISP was 200, and I got all of it with the USG.
Now I have 500 that required a new modem, and I am getting distictively less than before.
This leads me to believe the new modem and router are incompatible in some way.
Still, I am not in the business of finding out who's right and who's wrong.
I just want my connection to work properly.
So if it works with Asus and not with ZyXEL, then a logical next step is to try a different brand.
I think it would have been a very good idea to try to work it out with the carrier, but they were not intersted.
I was even considering asking for the old modem back, but I prefer moving forward.

Would you mind trying to do a packet capture?

What would be nice, is to get a packet capture from when the Asus is connected and doing the test. And then when the ZyWALL is doing the test.
Best would be to do it with a TAP, but a span would be a good start
sbe171

sbe171

I have a conference call schedueld with ZyXEL developers, so I will reserve the traces for them.
I've done too much work on issue this already.
Also I don't know how to do any of the things you said.
sbe171

sbe171

ZyXEL level 1 support 1 hour call (US) - no result
ZyXEL level 2 support 1 hour call (TW/HQ)- no result
ZyXEL level 3 support (developers) 5(!!!) hour call - no result
They are looking into this, and will let me know IF they have anything new (not when...)

At this point the Fortinet 100D (used) I've ordered arrived - DOA.
Status light never stops blinking - not connectable via any of the ways they instruct.
I will return this one unless anybody has an idea what to do about it.
Hard reset doesn't seem to do anything.

I also have a USG 310 on the way, I can still turn it back - my last hope - will this one be very noisy or can it be installed in a study where I work?

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON

Brano

MVM

If you don't need UTM features you can try EdgeRouter »www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edg ··· er-lite/
sbe171

sbe171

That never occurred to me.
Does it have a full firewall?
How many Gbps is 2mpps? Is it *1518, so 3Gbps?