uniqs
Pufferty
Perpetual Newbie
join:2014-07-07
Rockville, MD

2 recommendations

Pufferty

Live IRS Scammer?

I was recently called by 530-809-9X68 (X=4) with someone impersonating an IRS agent - I hung up. I then returned that call, and to my surprise, the same person answered pretending to be an IRS agent. When I stated that I did not wish to be called, he said "Fuck your mother" and then hung up. I then called again using a disposable number and he answered again!

While I've received scam calls before, I've never seen a situation where someone actively manages a line and the caller ID isn't bogus. A quick internet search shows recent complaints (within a day or so) from this number.

Should I file an FCC complaint? I've done so many times before, but it seems futile.

Trimline
Premium Member
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL

Trimline

Premium Member

I would call the IRS and report them; let them take it from there.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to Pufferty

Premium Member

to Pufferty
1) Agree with Trimline. The IRS is very interested in these types of scams.

2) The phone number you listed is a MagicJack number (the CLEC for MagicJack is Ymax).
Pufferty
Perpetual Newbie
join:2014-07-07
Rockville, MD

1 recommendation

Pufferty

Complaint lodged. I suspect that he is leaving messages and waiting for people to call back.
giqcass
join:2014-03-10

giqcass to Pufferty

to Pufferty
I can't believe some people actually fall for this scam. Greendot is changing their system because they have become one of the more popular methods for these scam artists to collect their money. I hope they catch this idiot.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to Pufferty

Premium Member

to Pufferty
said by Pufferty:

Should I file an FCC complaint? I've done so many times before, but it seems futile.

I would.

Here is something to watch out. Some friends who live in an apartment complex received letter from (pretend to be) their local water utility company complaining their ground water cover is not in accordance with their city laws and requires them to fix it or pay for a monthly maintenance fee of $6.99. I told my friends to contact their respective water utility companies and were told that the companies never send out such a bogus notice.
mdseuss
join:2012-05-27
Worcester, MA

mdseuss to Pufferty

to Pufferty

He's not answering now :-(

Sadly, this sort of scamming is rampant. And with data leaks like Anthem Blue Cross subscribers, the scammers have millions of convincing records to call you up and make you think they are legit.

People ask how can folks fall for this? Easy, if I call you with the right data and sound convincing enough, almost anyone could be socially engineered to give something up.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL

pcdebb to Pufferty

Premium Member

to Pufferty
It's tax season. He could be using any number of schemes to get paid. He's striking while the iron is hot. You report it to the IRS and they could strike while the iron is hot.....

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK

Majestik to mdseuss

Premium Member

to mdseuss
Almost anyone.
I know IRS initial contact is not by phone.
And I don't answer number that's not in my address book. Actually I rarely answer the phone anyway. Block most numbers. And certainly don't return calls from strangers.
The CPA firm I've being going to for over 20yrs. requires a copy of W2 for the IRS at beginning of year and all clients are continuously educated on IRS procedures among other relevant info with quarterly newsletters.
My CPA is a retired IRS agent.
Don't depend on tax returns for income and don't need to inflate refunds for free money. No big hurry to get refund. No mortgage anymore so returns goes to my Roth IRA anyways.
Rarely owe taxes and have every tax return from 1978.
I ignore junk email.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

1 recommendation

pcdebb to Pufferty

Premium Member

to Pufferty
518-399-9915 is a number being associated with another tax fraud scheme going on. People are getting called stating they are being sued by the IRS. 209-676-8870 is also linked to the same scam. Be careful.

I only updated this thread as to not have multiple threads on the same topic.
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned) to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
If it is magicjack i would contact them as well id bet they would close the account in a hurry.

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to pcdebb

to pcdebb
said by pcdebb:

518-399-9915 is a number being associated with another tax fraud scheme going on. People are getting called stating they are being sued by the IRS. 209-676-8870 is also linked to the same scam. Be careful.

I only updated this thread as to not have multiple threads on the same topic.

Yes i got this call and a recording saying, that they have been trying to reach me, this is the final notice, i am being sued by the IRS and to call them back.

I know from reading here the IRS does not call your home. I also know i am not being sued and they would not call my home for that either.

I am rarely on these lists and don't get these calls that i read about here, but i did get this one.
moike
join:2007-03-31
Atlanta, GA

moike to pcdebb

to pcdebb
The IRS reporting address is »www.treasury.gov/tigta/c ··· am.shtml . I don't know how many resources they have on this, but giving them live numbers may help them get a handle on the perpetrators.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to Pufferty

Mod

to Pufferty
I received a phone call from 518-792-9450. I did not answer. According to 800-Notes, this number is associated with calls claiming computer virus infections.

They left voice mail. According to the voice mail, the IRS is filing a law suit against me. For details, I should call 206-734-4414. According to 800-Notes, that number is associated with government grants.

I'll note that the voice mail DID NOT mention my name or the name of anybody at this residence.

Of course, I did not call back. This is pretty obviously a scam.
MrkFrnt
join:2000-11-26
Winston Salem, NC

1 edit

MrkFrnt to Pufferty

to Pufferty
I received a call from these morons and as I was driving and had free time decided to play along, caller got really excited when I asked if I could take care of problem by buying prepaid visa cards or send money by western union, that got me to his supervisor, who got offended for some reason and stated that I should wait at "my actual address, PO Box ###" as he was going to call the police and they would come and arrest me. told him they better hurry because my post office closes at 4:30 and my box was really hard to fit in to. he didn't understand that, as I was where I was going I thanked him for helping me pass 20 minutes. Who falls for this?

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by MrkFrnt:

Who falls for this?

Sadly it is the elderly, the desperate, and the people that don't have Internet and don't miss it (never having had it).
tlbepson
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
dc metro

tlbepson

Premium Member

Just wanted to add that I received a call from "Officer Kimberly Brown of the IRS legal department" today. The callerid shows the number as 202-741-4061. I hadn't answered the phone so the message was left on my answering machine.

Thanks to user Moike for posting the link to report these sorts of calls.
pensioner
Premium Member
join:2005-02-20
Gulfport, MS

pensioner to Pufferty

Premium Member

to Pufferty
add me to the list - the call went to my answering machine: "Hi. My name is David Gray. This message is intended to contact you regarding an enforcement action executed by the United States treasury and tending your serious attention. Ignoring this will be an intentional second attempt. To avoid initial appearance before magistrate judge or a grand jury for a federal criminal offense. My number is 503-926-6560. I repeat it's 503-926-6560. I'd like you to cooperate with us and help us to help you. Thank you."

Umitencho
join:2012-08-11
Jacksonville, FL

Umitencho

said by pensioner:

add me to the list - the call went to my answering machine: "Hi. My name is David Gray. This message is intended to contact you regarding an enforcement action executed by the United States treasury and tending your serious attention. Ignoring this will be an intentional second attempt. To avoid initial appearance before magistrate judge or a grand jury for a federal criminal offense. My number is 503-926-6560. I repeat it's 503-926-6560. I'd like you to cooperate with us and help us to help you. Thank you."

Scam. Unless you are a major financial entity, you are not on the US Treasury's notice. Well most of it anyway. The IRS which deals with individual citizens would send you a certified letter if they had any issue with you and after that you would get a court summons after so many mailing attempts, also notified by mail(don't remember if they "serve" such papers.)

Serve: Certified mail delivered to you directly by a person at your front door.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

1 recommendation

jmorlan

MVM

The IRS does not file suit out of the blue and they do not do so by telephone. Enforcement actions must be served in person. They may send a letter either claiming that you owe them (the taxes you filed didn't agree with the forms they got from other sources), or a letter asking for further information (audit by mail) or a letter arranging for a a face-to-face audit. You will have plenty of opportunity to make your case or pay what you owe before it ever goes to tax court.

Boooooost
@192.107.155.x

Boooooost to Umitencho

Anon

to Umitencho
Got the "enforcement action executed by the United States treasury... appearance before magistrate judge or a grand jury for a federal criminal offense" message yesterday from some number on the west coast.

Never knew that people accused of a federal crime are summoned before a grand jury.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer to Pufferty

Premium Member

to Pufferty
I came home from work the other day, and my girlfriend meets me at the door. "You screwed up my taxes last year!" (FYI, I do both of our returns through Turbotax, and they are both very simple.)

"Huh?'

"You screwed up my taxes last year and now the IRS wants money."

"How do you know this?"

"They called me..."

I started laughing at that point. I asked her where the letter was. Of course there was none. I told her that normally, the IRS will not call you, they send you a letter first. They called again, and I had some fun with them.

Ring Ring

"Sheriff's office."

Click!

I Googled the number, and, as I thought, it was a reported scam #. Reported it to the IRS.
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned) to Nanaki

to Nanaki
said by Nanaki:

If it is magicjack i would contact them as well id bet they would close the account in a hurry.

Probably not.

I have posted many times before that the phone companies (CLEC or VOIP) do not care about scams committed by phone because they get money from subscriptions and that's all they care about.

IF the IRS really cared about scams like these, there would be massive enforcement as it shouldn't be too hard to track anyone down if they were using a MagicJack dongle.

The spoofing of Caller ID information should only be able to be done by the phone company with proper documentation so that when this type of scam happens, they can easily trace the responsible parties. I even had this same IRS scam call me with my own number on the Caller ID.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

2 recommendations

dave

Premium Member

Agreed on the caller id thing. "Bogus caller id" is simply lying that is supported by the phone company as a revenue source.

I see no need for id spoofing to exist at all, but if it does, then the caller should be able to set only numbers that:

1. are actual phone numbers that will accept return calls
2. are agreed by the owner of the actual phone number
3. have been registered with the phone company for this use

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Doctor Olds to neonhomer

Premium Member

to neonhomer
said by neonhomer:

I came home from work the other day, and my girlfriend meets me at the door. "You screwed up my taxes last year!" (FYI, I do both of our returns through Turbotax, and they are both very simple.)

"Huh?'

"You screwed up my taxes last year and now the IRS wants money."

"How do you know this?"

"They called me..."

Good thing you knew this and had common sense.

Otherwise she might be on the news like these people:

Man loses $22,600 to IRS scammers
»www.wsbtv.com/news/news/ ··· s/nqYxZ/

La Porte woman loses more than $5,000 in IRS phone scam
»www.wndu.com/content/new ··· 621.html

Woman falls victim to IRS scam, loses $10K
»abc7chicago.com/news/wom ··· 1178278/

A large running total:

Americans lose $26.5M to fake IRS scam
»www.ksfy.com/home/headli ··· 481.html
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned) to dave

to dave
said by dave:

Agreed on the caller id thing. "Bogus caller id" is simply lying that is supported by the phone company as a revenue source.

I see no need for id spoofing to exist at all, but if it does, then the caller should be able to set only numbers that:

1. are actual phone numbers that will accept return calls
2. are agreed by the owner of the actual phone number
3. have been registered with the phone company for this use

Here are some of the reason's I have heard for caller ID spoofing.

1. Calls from women's shelters.
2. Calls from mental institutions and other healthcare sites. (HIPPA rules)

I do agree that any spoofing needs to be registered with the phone company and those records easily obtainable.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Those don't need spoofing - they just need caller-id blocking. That can safely be done at the decision of the caller (and I can safely decide not to pick up the phone for calls with no caller id, at least not before someone speaks)

I'm in favour of the caller's right to not tell me the number they're calling from. I'm not in favour of their right to lie about it.