dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bondedpair
join:2015-02-18

bondedpair

New user to UVERSE, Q about Phone and Bonded Pairs?

Click for full size
Hey all, new user to UVERSE and had some questions about the switch I made from POTS to UVERSE VoIP.

I live in a new apartment complex and we had the 45 Power tier (the tech said its the first he has done in a MDU because he had to bond pairs of phone lines).

Previously with our old phone service, we had very reliable service with POTS and calls were "terminated" at the local office. I've always been told VoIP can terminate at some random switch that could go down at any time and could be halfway across the country.

We live in Birmingham, where would our calls be processed at?

About the internet, i've attached our line stats the tech showed us. Internet seems a little slower than what we had before on Charter and I changed my DNS. I am passthrough to an Apple router, haven't changed any MTU settings though but was told I should..

Thanks

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

1 recommendation

ILpt4U

Premium Member

I guess it depends what you mean by "terminated"

The Dial Tone itself is generated by your modem, and connects back to your existing phone Inside Wiring or you just plug a phone into the modem itself.

From that point "to the world" it is encoded over IP riding your VDSL2 signal back to your local VRAD, then Fiber to AT&T's wider network, and your calls then get routed to wherever they need to go

Your VoIP (and all your VDSL2-based U-Verse Services) still run thru your local AT&T Central Office, its just now you are using the Fiber equipment in there, not the old Legacy Copper Switches
bondedpair
join:2015-02-18

bondedpair

Ok I see, thank you! Now what would cause choppy voice quality? It's the same as I experienced with MagicJack when I tried that service and discontinued it on cable because of bad quality? Is it something AT&T needs to come and fix, it's happening on a corded phone connected directly to the back of the gateway.