Search similar:

uniqs

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

British citizen visiting US coming into Canada and back to US, prob?

I know of a British citizen who was planning to visit the US but also on that trip drive into Canada for a short time.

Does anyone know what sort of problem they may have? I am sure getting into Canada on a UK/EU passport will be ok, but what about getting back to the US?

Maxx2006
join:2013-02-02
Guelph, ON

Maxx2006

I heard it can be a bit tricky but it usually is okay as long as they have an address of where they are going to stay. Just make sure there passport is not set to expire in the next 6 months.

thebaron
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Zegema Beach

thebaron to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

I know of a British citizen who was planning to visit the US but also on that trip drive into Canada for a short time.

Does anyone know what sort of problem they may have? I am sure getting into Canada on a UK/EU passport will be ok, but what about getting back to the US?

As long as their visa waiver is valid in the US for multiple entry-exit they'll be ok.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

said by thebaron:

As long as their visa waiver is valid in the US for multiple entry-exit they'll be ok.

I wasn't sure if that was still the case (Brits needing visas to enter the US). If so, then yes, they'll need a multiple entry one. Otherwise they could be denied re-entry. If they used a travel agent, they should discuss this with them in the UK.

If not, try here:

»www.thomascook.com/pdf/P ··· 0811.pdf

It doesn't seem to be a simple yes/no on the Visa. Yes, they likely need a Visa, but they need a biometric passport as well.

»cibtvisas.co.uk

Boooost
@151.190.254.x

Boooost to donoreo

Anon

to donoreo
quote:
If you are admitted to the United States under the VWP, you may take a short trip to Canada, Mexico, or a nearby island and generally be readmitted to the United States under the VWP for the remainder of the original 90 days granted upon your initial arrival in the United States. Therefore, the length of time of your total stay, including the short trip, must be 90 days or less.
Also note that the traveler cannot have had any visa troubles on previous visits. Much more, including the various types of passports required here:
»travel.state.gov/content ··· ram.html

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

This person was in the US just last fall. I think the trip is next year.
Tikker_LoS
join:2004-04-29
Regina, SK

Tikker_LoS to donoreo

to donoreo
my wife is born british, carries UK passport, but also has a permanent residency card

we just vacationed in mexico, but went via the US. she was required to get a visa/esta done for that time period, so I would assume your friend would as well

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by Tikker_LoS:

my wife is born british, carries UK passport, but also has a permanent residency card

we just vacationed in mexico, but went via the US. she was required to get a visa/esta done for that time period, so I would assume your friend would as well

That is the exact opposite of what he is planning.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to donoreo

to donoreo
My father is british (now a dual citizen). coming into canada will be no issue (no visa required i dont think) for a commonwealth passport, EU passport will need visa.

As for returning to the US i think as others have said they will require multiple entries. Also the 6 month thing is a big deal...
Tikker_LoS
join:2004-04-29
Regina, SK

Tikker_LoS to donoreo

to donoreo
is he british going to the us? he needs a visa/esta
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to donoreo

to donoreo
The best thing for your friend to do to make sure he's prepared properly is to call his local US consulate/embassy and explain his specific situation and plans. That's what they're there for.
jobr
join:2004-10-21
Halifax, NS

jobr to donoreo

to donoreo
Some of the advice given in this thread is not entirely accurate. Basically,

* Your friends needs an ESTA (electronic travel authorization) to travel to the US. Once there, he will enter under the visa waiver program (technically, not a visa).

* He will not need a visa, visa waiver or anything of that nature to enter Canada - he can simply show up at the border. This applies for nationals of most EU countries. And conversely, there are Commonwealth countries whose citizens do need a visa (for instance, India).

* If the total length of his North American trip is less than 90 days, he can re-enter the US on the same visa waiver.

* Border officers can in principle deny entry if they suspect you have overstayed or will overstay, commit crimes or become a burden on society. So there is never any guarantee you will be allowed in, unless you are a citizen.