All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

puppy
join:2010-01-28
San Diego, CA

puppy

What level is it safe to tank lower dungeons?

My guardian bear is 58 and in Outlands. I have access to Ramparts but is it safe to actually tank it at 58, since supposedly the mob levels are 60-62? Random posts I read said yes, tanks are OP (esp with BOA gear) at lower levels.

Same for other dungeons? Should I at least match the mob level before trying to tank, or just queue as soon as its available?

Also I read that MOP dungeons are not worth doing, you get way more exp questing than dungeons...

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

58 is fine just dont pull the whole place

Lothario
join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON

Lothario to puppy

to puppy
BC dungeons give great xp as most have 3 quests in them.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

Agreed normally is almost a level per dungeon with the quests. Make sure you do each one at least once.

Energystream
Premium Member
join:2010-04-16
Ridgewood, NY

Energystream

Premium Member

Too bad they don't setup old content to be inline with that.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

Yeah it really starts at BC so before that you have to kill boars in blasted lands until you reach 58

puppy
San Diego, CA

1 edit

puppy

Oh I didn't even think of killing boars. I was scraping together quests in UrGoro and Slithus to barely make 58. From 58 on out though there are always leftover quests. I usually move onto the next zone as soon as I hit level X4 or X9 (like 59, 64, etc).

I don't like the first BC dungeons because if you die, sometimes I can't find the entrance to run back to :P

I don't know the old dungeons at all, nor MOP, but I think the rest I might try tanking since I've been there at least as DPS before. Usually I just quest though, much easier to stop whenever I want when the wife calls.

Cat5
join:2013-04-26

Cat5 to puppy

to puppy
1-80 tank as you level. You should have heirlooms if you have other 100's which makes gear not really a worry.

80-85 I'd quest. Cata dungeons are still far too highly tuned for PUG groups and you'll spend most of the time rezzing and running back.

85-90 is an easy dungeon time, but the XP isn't that great. As a tank I'd dungeon it all, but if you DPS then you may need to trhink about questing a bit.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to puppy

Premium Member

to puppy
You won't have any problems if you're in BoA gear. There's probably parts of it you could solo at 58. XP versus questing I'd say yes until you hit 66 then hit BEM/Nether quest hubs and you'll rocket to Northrend. Outland is easily the fastest place to level. The one part of tanking in lower levels everyone wants to sprint through it so you don't do a lot of traditional tanking.

puppy
San Diego, CA

puppy

I actually tanked a few dungeons this weekend. Went well, only wiped once when I pulled last boss of Slavepens badly and he sprayed poison all over. What a HORRIBLE corpse run, sheesh, I avoided the rest of the underwater dungeons after that.

One thing for others to know though is don't tank it when a dungeon first becomes available, because you are not high enough level to pick up the quests yet. I think once the dungeons turn yellow it's OK (maybe 2 levels above minimum to enter)

Cat5
join:2013-04-26

Cat5

said by puppy:

One thing for others to know though is don't tank it when a dungeon first becomes available, because you are not high enough level to pick up the quests yet. I think once the dungeons turn yellow it's OK (maybe 2 levels above minimum to enter)

Yeah it's a stupid system which I've moaned about before. A throwback from the days before quests were in dungeons I believe.