zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

1 recommendation

zod5000 to DanteX

to DanteX

Re: March 2015 - Telus introducing Usage-based Billing Charges

said by DanteX:

Kind of shocking thinking Shaw will follow suit when that stinks of collusion and not competition then again competition doesn't exist in Canada when competitors raise prices or lower caps in almost unison

I think Shaw will wait and see. It's really wierd because this situtation was completely reversed 4 years ago. Shaw tried to implement UBB, people crapped all over it, and people started to leave to telus in droves. Shaw backed down. Instead of UBB, they made faster packages with bigger caps (and higher fees). It helped them raise extra revenue. Telus basically cloned their fee and cap struture. In essence Telus clone Shaw's way of getting extra revenue that didn't need UBB. Now Telus is adding UBB on top of that. I think before Shaw's era of BB50/BB100 internet plans were maybe max of 50 (or 60?) a month.

It really does seem like a cash grab by Telus. Heavy Users are usually an indicator of what the average user will do a few years down the road. If there remains options through Shaw or Private ISPs that don't charge UBB, then I think Telus will lose those customers (and people will stop recommending them).

If Shaw benefits from all those people moving over, maybe they won't be so quick to follow suit (Just like Telus wasn't a few years ago).

It does feel like a cash grab. When you think about it. Shaw's Top Tiers (bb50, bb100 etc...) were created in a response to people rejecting UBB. They were higher priced packages with larger caps so Shaw could make more revenue over their standard packages. Telus then cloned those packages/prices as they were able to catch up on speeds. So Telus is adding UBB on packages that were priced by Shaw as an alternative to UBB. It really is wierd.

I'm still not convinced Shaw will follow suit. I'm also not convinced that Telus won't be impacted by losing those customers. Maybe they save money on the top 1% who are doing TB's a month. I have to imagine a large chunk of that 20% only does several hundred GB's over a month. Is it worth losing customers over? I guess we'll see. How long did it take Shaw to backtrack after people started cancelling?
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

3 recommendations

TheMG to Karthanon

Premium Member

to Karthanon
Usage caps that are in effect 24/7 serve two purposes:

1) Money grab.

2) Discouraging use of streaming services as an alternative to TV subscriptions.

It's not about bandwidth management at all unlike what Telus keeps saying.

If they really wanted to manage bandwidth, they would implement the caps during peak hours only, and unlimited at all other times of the day. This would effectively cause many "heavy" users to shift some of their usage to out-of-peak periods, thus reducing the bandwidth demand on the network during peak hours, where bottlenecks normally happen.

Summary: Telus usage caps are nothing more than an additional revenue stream for Telus, and keeping people on Optik TV instead of "cutting the cord" and going streaming-only.
pb2k
join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB

pb2k to timerider2

to timerider2
said by timerider2:

He's bragging about using a service he pays for to do things he needs done. What are you saying. "enjoy your internet, but try not to use it".

Leaving a stream running all night due to apathy is something he needs done?
said by timerider2:

I didn't buy a new car so it can sit in the garage and not get used, and we did not signup for internet so it can be unused for most of the month.

I'm going to assume that you don't operate a cab, so, yes it actually does sit in the garage and do nothing most of the time.

Speaking of cars:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Krxq5eUI
said by timerider2:

If anyone is whining and bitching on these forums it's you pb2k.

There may have been a bit of derision in some of my posts, but certainly no whining and bitching.
said by timerider2:

Don't worry when everyone with a brain in their head moves to 3rd party providers you guys will be free to not use your connection on an empty uncluttered network and pay through the nose to not use it.

Everybody talks the talk, but rare is the day when somebody actually makes the switch.
said by timerider2:

Also I'm sure he said he was wasting bandwidth to get a rise out of you pro UBB fools. Mission accomplished

I think you've got it switched around; it seems I've gotten a rise out of you.
AJ102
join:2005-03-22
Vancouver, BC

AJ102 to TheMG

to TheMG
Limit-free access during overnight hours would make sense, if network capacity is the issue. But that's not going to help people streaming Netflix HD to two family TVs at once, since they won't be watching at 2am. Who it would benefit most is the illegal hoarder downloaders, and Telus doesn't care about them.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

TOPDAWG to pb2k

Premium Member

to pb2k
no I said I forgot to turn the stream off as you know did not mean too. I hit home on the roku remote to turn it off but guess it did not pick up the button press so it stayed running all night.

However being as I have unlimited I don't have to worry about it and control everything I do online the rest of the month because of it. I use a lot of bandwidth and it's legal bandwidth.

oh yeah I forgot last week I downloaded all of WOW at a nice 25GB download.
Symtex
join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

I posted many times and I will post again to make sure we are cleared. I think the numbers are wrong. I am an avid gamers and I bought a few games on Xbox and there were 50gig each. So I am with you. So if you have Optic TV, get the 15$/month extra for unlimited bandwidth. That's a pretty good deal.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

TOPDAWG to timerider2

Premium Member

to timerider2
I was not wasting I really forgot to turn off the WWE stream. I'd not waste bandwidth as it does cost tek money. I'm not tiring to get a rise out of anyone but really hoping I can get more people on tek and other 3rd party's.

Like I said even if you don't go over caps the piece of mind of not having to worry about how much data I use it great. oh yeah I forgot I downloaded like 25GB last week on my 360 too. I won 360,ps3, and PS4 and man game updates are getting huge plus all the games you get on Live Gold and PSN+ are pretty big sometimes. So this month I've used like at least near 70GB of data in just games and updates for those games.

No idea what the WWE network uses per hour just know it's runs at 720P most of the time and I stream it all the time. I don't have cable so games and streaming are my entertainment. Just looked it up seems the network uses 1GB to 2GB and hour and I may have it running 8 hours a day. It's my background noise as I do other stuff.

Unlimited it still out there if a person needs it. this I'll go to shaw is silly as shaw will enforce UBB soon as they don't want the heavy bandwidth user on their network. Save yourself time and energy and just go right to a 3rd party ISP if you're willing to give them a try.

MerinX
Crunching for Cures
Premium Member
join:2011-02-03

3 recommendations

MerinX to Symtex

Premium Member

to Symtex
Funny i see more then 10 people complaining in this thread and only 2 supporting this bullshit Usage Based Gouging...
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

3 recommendations

DanteX

Not to forget the countless news articles and tech forums with hundreds of comments ripping Telus

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

TOPDAWG to MerinX

Premium Member

to MerinX
hey give them credit for not giving up and really tiring.

I don't mind others with different view points but this the heavy users are not paying their fair share is just BS. its the same crap the government uses for the whole %99 VS the %1. Telus will still rise prices for the so called %95 who do not use much bandwidth. They will not get any refund even if they use only %5 of the data their allowed and prices will still go up on them.

Sorry but anyone who be leaves that way of thinking is being dumb.
TOPDAWG

TOPDAWG to DanteX

Premium Member

to DanteX
They won't change their mind the same happened in ON with Bell and Rogers and UBB is still there and has been for years.

Again the answer there was 3rd party's like it is here. I had 60/10 unlimited for like $85 a month with start. Man wish I could get that here for the same price speeds here suck so bad for the price you pay.

Now to install a 7GB stream game need to re install civilization 5 as I need to move it to a different drive. There is no bandwidth restrictions on me now picture me saying that in ultron's voice from the Avengers 2 trailer and it sounds cool.
pb2k
Calgary, AB

pb2k to MerinX

to MerinX
said by MerinX:

Funny i see more then 10 people complaining in this thread and only 2 supporting this bullshit Usage Based Gouging...

Yes, the difference being, Symtex and I are network professionals with hands on experience working for Telus and thus actually know what we're talking about.

What're your credentials?
pb2k

pb2k to TOPDAWG

to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

They will not get any refund even if they use only %5 of the data their allowed and prices will still go up on them.

People who use less are probably on HS15 (or HS6, not that it seems to be sold anymore?) and thus pay less.

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

humanfilth

said by pb2k:

(or HS6, not that it seems to be sold anymore?)

Still there. Internet-1 and Internet-6. Dialup? shit knows...
Thats what comes from an Executive who figures no need to advertise the slower speeds, after all, it's only $5 less than HIGH SPEED!!!.

And unless something has changed for Teksavvy, Shaw Tariff submission to the CRTC to kill Teksavvy.
»Re: [DSL] tDSL 50Mbps

Existing 25meg - $22.45 (approved by CRTC)
New 20 meg - $42.59 (not approved by CRTC)

Expand your moderator at work

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

3 recommendations

bbbc to Karthanon

to Karthanon

Re: March 2015 - Telus introducing Usage-based Billing Charges

said by Symtex :

have you notice there is about only 3 of you guys complaining.

Man, you drink the corporate Kool-Aid nice and good. I see you're posting during your work hours again. You popped off earlier about dialogue with your corporate overlords, still waiting to hear how we speak to them (an exec) directly.

The facts is UBB is here to stay.

I actually agree with you on this. I just don't appreciate your continued bogus reasoning though.

The problem we now have with your employer is the gouging of wholesale providers like TekSavvy. This is where we have to keep your precious company in check.
said by pb2k :

You're bragging about deliberately wasting bandwidth?
Leaving a stream running all night due to apathy is something he needs done?

He said he slipped up mister bandwidth cop. This is your argument now, blatant abuse of the pipe. Give me a break.

I leave crap running all throughout the day, like streaming. Should I be spanked since I'm so wasteful outside of the peak hours?

Everybody talks the talk, but rare is the day when somebody actually makes the switch.

I'll agree with you on this one, people are either lazy, apathetic, or trapped. Good ol' Telus loves terms / contracts on their wired side. I guess if it was such a great business model they wouldn't have to bribe people with supposed free crappy TVs and laptops.

Yes, the difference being, Symtex and I are network professionals with hands on experience working for Telus and thus actually know what we're talking about.

What're your credentials?

Perhaps you should look at my signature more carefully. Our credentials are consumers who can see through complete BS.

So you guys know the network side, cool. I guess I can surmise neither one of you are accountants knowing the money side.
Symtex
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

BBBC,

You have no idea what I do. You are making another assumption. If I've mention ballpark figure is not based on assumption on my side but actual facts. You may not believe me but facts don't requires you to believe them. They are just facts. Of course, I can't share any of details because this is private information. I did give you an idea of what that cost is like.

bbbc
NorthAmerica

2 recommendations

bbbc

I don't know what you do, nor do I care. In addition, your cohort, pb2k, said you're both network professionals, so I guess that excludes accounting, right? You don't present facts because as you keep telling us, as a neutral Telus employee (chuckling now), you can't disclose the real deal to us peons.

Did you get me Darren's direct phone number yet? Heck, I'll even speak to his assistant.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

3 recommendations

TOPDAWG to pb2k

Premium Member

to pb2k
no you can't have it both ways if they go over the cap you pay for the extra bandwidth so it's more about how much data you use not the speed at which you use it that bandwidth.

So if this was true UBB and not a cash grab if you used 5 GB a month you should see a refund vs the guy who used up his cap or got near it.

Like I said I got no issue with telus doing this they want to make money and that is all they care about more power to them you got 3rd party's for unlimited plans till telus and shaw go crying to the CRTC and want to change the access fees on the 3rd party's to insane levels.

you can spin this all you want this is not going to save anyone money. If you wanted to pay less before you'd just go to a lower speed with no cap you wanted higher speed you want to a higher speed with no cap. The people on the lower speeds now have a cap and don't save a dime.

This is why I can't be leave people buy this the heavy users should pay more and I as a lite internet user should not have to pay for them. you're not your moron you're still going to pay the same amount you were before.
Symtex
Burnaby, BC

1 recommendation

Symtex

said by TOPDAWG:

no you can't have it both ways if they go over the cap you pay for the extra bandwidth so it's more about how much data you use not the speed at which you use it that bandwidth.

So if this was true UBB and not a cash grab if you used 5 GB a month you should see a refund vs the guy who used up his cap or got near it.

Like I said I got no issue with telus doing this they want to make money and that is all they care about more power to them you got 3rd party's for unlimited plans till telus and shaw go crying to the CRTC and want to change the access fees on the 3rd party's to insane levels.

you can spin this all you want this is not going to save anyone money. If you wanted to pay less before you'd just go to a lower speed with no cap you wanted higher speed you want to a higher speed with no cap. The people on the lower speeds now have a cap and don't save a dime.

This is why I can't be leave people buy this the heavy users should pay more and I as a lite internet user should not have to pay for them. you're not your moron you're still going to pay the same amount you were before.

You have to see it that it's like managing a retirement fund. You look at the numbers and you do projection of how much people are going to retired, how much the fund is going to perform over the next x amount of years etc. Based on theses projection, you have to decided where you need to increase the contribution so that in 20 years from now, when a certain group age is going to retire, you actually have enough money to pay them.

This is similar in a lot of ways. Certain regions on congested some are not but overall there is average increase of bandwidth usage. Based on our projection and the amount of money we need to spend over the years, TELUS had to do something. It's not a pretty solution, if you ask me, but I believe it was necessary in many ways. People keeps asking for more and more speed and no ISP can't keep up. The minutes you add more, people leeches more. It is just a fact. Whether is for illegal or legal content is irrelevant. There is an higher demand for bandwidth from our consumer. We want to continue to offer them the best services possible.

I think some people have posted some interesting idea like unlimited bandwidth outside of prime hours. I like that idea a lot. We do have an option for 15$/month if you have Optik services, for unlimited bandwidth. If you are going to go over your cap, that's sound like a good option to me. It's idea but at least you have a way out.

TELUS has been working on UBB for over the past 18 months. It is not a new idea. I just couldn't talk about it until now. We have in the middle of massive fiber build in AB and BC. That's going to be our next generation network where we will be able to sustain much higher speed and just a better and more stable service. I've already eluded that the cost of acquisition for a fiber customer compare to a copper one is significant. That means we have to retains that customer a lot longer before we actually make a profit.

I have ask this many times. So guys, if you want to have an adult conversion, I am willing to exchange but please let's leave the name calling and ad hominen attack out of it. Ok?
mdub6
join:2008-10-28
Canada

1 recommendation

mdub6

How will this affect areas, that Telus refuses to upgrade?

Will all the UBB $$$$ go straight into upgrading towns, that cant get anything higher than HS15?

Are all you subs, that cant order larger capped packages, first on the priority list, for upgrades?

Telus wont just charge us $30 a month extra ..... and continue to not upgrade our towns, will they?

bbbc
NorthAmerica

1 recommendation

bbbc to Symtex

to Symtex
said by Symtex :

TELUS has been working on UBB for over the past 18 months. It is not a new idea.

As is now, you defended the company fervently during the UBB debate, but I guess you got the corporate 411 after that initial fun a few years back. I remember you kept stating Telus didn't need to implement UBB because of its superior network.

I have ask this many times. So guys, if you want to have an adult conversion, I am willing to exchange but please let's leave the name calling and ad hominen attack out of it. Ok?

So you can essentially tell us we're clueless because we're not network engineers and not on the inside, but if we suggest you're a tool that's not right. It works both ways my friend.
said by mdub6 :

Telus will ignore rural broadband like every other duopoly in North America. That's a given.
DanteX

1 recommendation

DanteX to Karthanon

to Karthanon
There will come a time where these ISPS who refuse to upgrade rural areas wil have to answer the question as to why they will not provide service to so many people left out in the cold. It is almost criminal to ignore these people. We live in the 21st century and Internet access is almost a necessity
Symtex
Burnaby, BC

Symtex to bbbc

to bbbc
said by bbbc:

said by Symtex :

TELUS has been working on UBB for over the past 18 months. It is not a new idea.

As is now, you defended the company fervently during the UBB debate, but I guess you got the corporate 411 after that initial fun a few years back. I remember you kept stating Telus didn't need to implement UBB because of its superior network.

So you can essentially tell us we're clueless because we're not network engineers and not on the inside, but if we suggest you're a tool that's not right. It works both ways my friend.
said by mdub6 :

Telus will ignore rural broadband like every other duopoly in North America. That's a given.

So why don't you start an ISP ? It sound easy enough right. Go and build your own network and sell it to rural area. I think you will notice that will run out of money quick because the concentration of population makes it really hard to actual recover your investment.

That's being said, We are actually in the middle of retiring the ATM network that plague some regions. So high level of service is being offered to them. Also with the help of many municipalities, we have been building a new fiber network and we actually started with the rural area. So much of ignoring them as you seem to eludes.

I am under NDA for many things. I often cannot comments on many subjects. That's just part of what I do. I do share information that I know we will not impact the competitive edge for TELUS. I am a shareholder. That's just the right thing to do.
DanteX

DanteX

Can you shed light as to why over the last couple of years when prices hikes have been announced by either Telus or its competitors, the likes of Telus and others were quick to raise prices at the time others did?

As well can you advise if the Exectivues in charge at Telus even know anything about the technology at play or are they like the dinosuars in Hollywood who know nothing about todays Business models?
pb2k
Calgary, AB

pb2k to bbbc

to bbbc
said by bbbc:

He's said multiple times that he thought the caps should have been higher.

I've implied your clueless, but Symtex has done nothing of the sort.
said by mdub6 :

said by bbbc:

Stick to facts please, you have no idea what Telus' plans are.
Symtex
Burnaby, BC

Symtex to DanteX

to DanteX
said by DanteX:

Can you shed light as to why over the last couple of years when prices hikes have been announced by either Telus or its competitors, the likes of Telus and others were quick to raise prices at the time others did?

I have no idea. I don't work on that side of the business. I am actually trying to be as remote as possible to anything regarding prices because it way out of jurisdiction. I am trying to stick to what I know. It's more on the technical side of things.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to DanteX

Premium Member

to DanteX
Hell the fastest speed I can get with telus in McKenzie Towne is 15 down. I learned that yesterday and it shocked me. I mean McKenzie Towne is not out in the boonies of Calgary. This area is not some small town with a few hundred people.

It has multiple huge stores such as walmart lowes home depot and many other restaurants and the income level for the area is high.

Hopefully upgrades are on the way to get this area better DSL speeds.

In the City of Calgary's 2012 municipal census, McKenzie Towne had a population of 16,102 living in 6,783 dwellings, a 4.6% increase from its 2011 population of 15,395.With a land area of 4.8 km2 (1.9 sq mi), it had a population density of 3,350/km2 (8,690/sq mi) in 2012.
pb2k
Calgary, AB

pb2k

When was the house built? All the newer stuff was ftth from day one and most of the rest should have composite drops that telus can convert.
Symtex
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

said by pb2k:

When was the house built? All the newer stuff was ftth from day one and most of the rest should have composite drops that telus can convert.

It always depends how far you are from the cabinet or CO. That's the only problem with DSL. A lot of the 15 to higher speed upgrade path involves loop bonding and so you would require an extra free port to accommodate the request. Depending on the region, this is not always possible.
« Will IPv6 addresses still be Dynamic?Telus usage display »
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 ... 15 · 16 · 17 · next