prev · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 ... 15 · 16 · 17 · next
GenghisKhan
join:2011-06-15
canada

3 recommendations

GenghisKhan to Symtex

to Symtex

Re: March 2015 - Telus introducing Usage-based Billing Charges

As I said before the limits are too low. 250G to start is I think a reasonable limit.

If the 5 percent of heavy users pays the 30$/month without Optic TV or 15$/month with.

Would that not also overload the network?
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX

You sir or Miss lol Have brought up a valid point and I am curious to how this will help a network that is supposedly over saturated
Gardener
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
Burnaby, BC

Gardener

Premium Member

So which is better, heavy users jumping ship, or paying extra to accommodate 4K streaming?
Symtex
join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC

Symtex to DanteX

to DanteX
said by DanteX:

You sir or Miss lol Have brought up a valid point and I am curious to how this will help a network that is supposedly over saturated

It will not. What it will do in assure we have enough money to continue upgrading and maintaining the network like we are right now. Not so long ago 15/5 was the limit we could offer. Now we have 100/20. This is all TELUS is really doing.

Someone also ask why are the 3rd party provide able to do it and TELUS can't. It simple. They don't have 1.3 millions subscribers. Scale is a big factor. Wholesalers don't have as much overhead as they don't have to build the network. They just leasing it.

I want to see higher quality of streaming on Optik (I think we are behind on that compare to Netflix or Apple). I want to see more stream. Of course, soon 4K will be a thing our customer will want. This is all things that will require massive investment.
spectrum70
join:2011-01-14

spectrum70 to Gardener

to Gardener
said by Gardener:

So which is better, heavy users jumping ship, or paying extra to accommodate 4K streaming?

If the heavy users are doing their transfers outside of the peak hours, then technically nothing is fixed, since they're not the ones impacting peak hour saturation.
Gardener
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
Burnaby, BC

Gardener

Premium Member

Assuming peak hours are 1600 - 0100... but are they? Perhaps Telus should wave a carrot, since we've already seen the stick.

timerider2
join:2010-12-19

3 recommendations

timerider2 to spectrum70

to spectrum70
It all smells of BS no matter how they try to SPIN it. You don't need to be a network expert to know when your being lied to and bent over. I think people are smarter 4 years later and Telus will have a harder time pushing this than SHAW did. I've been checking around the web in comment sections on this topic and it ain't pretty. Telus better get ready for pitchforks and torches soon, the villagers are pissed. Did they notify all their customers yet? or is it gonna be a surprise?
DanteX

3 recommendations

DanteX

Much more profitable if it was a suprise for sure
pb2k
join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB

pb2k to timerider2

to timerider2
said by timerider2:

It all smells of BS no matter how they try to SPIN it. You don't need to be a network expert to know when your being lied to and bent over. I think people are smarter 4 years later and Telus will have a harder time pushing this than SHAW did. I've been checking around the web in comment sections on this topic and it ain't pretty. Telus better get ready for pitchforks and torches soon, the villagers are pissed. Did they notify all their customers yet? or is it gonna be a surprise?

I doubt it. Shaw had their attempt blow up in their face because the caps were low and the overage fees ridiculous. What Telus is proposing is tame by comparison, assuming you can get at least HS25.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

2 recommendations

bbbc to Symtex

to Symtex
@Symtex
As I'm sure you're aware, third wires don't exist in the majority of the world. For all the press Google has gotten, they don't reach squat in the States. IISPs use your last mile infrastructure, poles and right of ways that were essentially gifted to your duopoly many moons ago. You can play semantics by labeling the third-party guys leasers / resellers, but they aren't.
DanteX

2 recommendations

DanteX

Its funny how the Incumbents try to claim these IISPS do not contribute to Infrastructure upgrades but infact they do when they pay their costs to the Incumbents each month

hpar
@telus.net

1 recommendation

hpar to Karthanon

Anon

to Karthanon
The limits are too low. Fixed income grandparents can't regularly video conference with grand kids or play video bridge or other online interactions on some of those limits. This closes off their isolated lives even more.

I was also thinking about how bandwidth is counted.

I am able to control the amount of water and electricity I use, but can I do the same with Internet bandwidth, or am I at other people's mercy? Could I be charged for more than I have chosen to use?

I receive unwanted traffic from Telus probes (205.206.120.60) according to my firewall. This is an inconsequential amount of bandwidth, but certainly not bandwidth use by choice.

It would be difficult to tip everyone's account over the $75 limit, but couldn't a well crafted nefarious slow/smart/camouflage traffic flood tip someone's limit to the next bucket up, costing them an extra $10 or so a month?

Kids used to ping-flood each other all the time. I don't know what is possible now-a-days.
DanteX

1 recommendation

DanteX

Aww yes the good old ping flood and alot of other goodies I discovered in the late 90s aka ICQ bombing and IP Nuking lol good times
Expand your moderator at work

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada

jtl999 to DanteX

to DanteX

Now a days we call that "booting"

GVRD
@telus.net

1 recommendation

GVRD to Symtex

Anon

to Symtex
So I cannot binge watch "House of Cards" in 4K in 1 day or in 1 month because of the low caps.
pb2k
Calgary, AB

pb2k to hpar

to hpar
said by hpar :

The limits are too low. Fixed income grandparents can't regularly video conference with grand kids or play video bridge or other online interactions on some of those limits. This closes off their isolated lives even more.

I was also thinking about how bandwidth is counted.

I am able to control the amount of water and electricity I use, but can I do the same with Internet bandwidth, or am I at other people's mercy? Could I be charged for more than I have chosen to use?

I receive unwanted traffic from Telus probes (205.206.120.60) according to my firewall. This is an inconsequential amount of bandwidth, but certainly not bandwidth use by choice.

It would be difficult to tip everyone's account over the $75 limit, but couldn't a well crafted nefarious slow/smart/camouflage traffic flood tip someone's limit to the next bucket up, costing them an extra $10 or so a month?

Kids used to ping-flood each other all the time. I don't know what is possible now-a-days.

Video conferencing is generally 256-1024kbit/s each way - not likely to cause an issue.

There's nothing stopping anyone from trying to DDoS you and using up your bandwidth, but why would anyone bother?
Symtex
join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC

Symtex to GVRD

to GVRD
said by GVRD :

So I cannot binge watch "House of Cards" in 4K in 1 day or in 1 month because of the low caps.

That's a crime . Why don't you buy the unlimited option ?
DanteX

4 recommendations

DanteX

Great now Symtex is trying to upsell us Forum users lol
pb2k
Calgary, AB

pb2k to GVRD

to GVRD
said by GVRD :

You can, just pay for unlimited.

The better question is why you'd want to?

Zeroted
@telus.net

Zeroted to Karthanon

Anon

to Karthanon
Buckets are overpriced at 5 dollars let alone 10 dollars for 50 gigs.
The caps have not been adjusted to reflected increase in usage that Telus is using to justify UBB while still charging more and more with rate increases. The last time that limits were adjusted it was a decrease and it has been almost half a decade since.

Why not just upgrade those that go over their limits to unlimited for 15$ rather then the blatant cash grab that can get up to 75$ if people do not monitor their households usage? Why do customers who do not use you TV service have to pay have to pay twice as much for the same unlimited service?

How can Telus justify a new higher tier speed if their network is so overcrowded with people who are on it with the current speeds?
bluenote73
join:2009-02-17
Canada

2 recommendations

bluenote73 to pb2k

to pb2k
said by pb2k:

said by GVRD :

You can, just _switch to a better provider_ that doesn't gouge like Telus does.

^^ Fixed that for ya. Thank me later.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

4 edits

bbbc to Karthanon

to Karthanon
We may want to keep our smart ass UBB comments to ourselves, especially if Telus employees are taking notes. Bhell is suing citizens / DLSR folks for their CRTC submissions:
»www.cbc.ca/news/business ··· .2968021
»Re: Bell loses another case with the CRTC
»Re: ITMP undue preference complaint filed against Bell

Just like Telus tooks its time with the UBB implementation, who knows when they'll start suing.

EDIT
I was joking with the screen name, but nonetheless I removed it. I am not joking about the litigious nature of large corporations who don't share the same views as the peons.

Expand your moderator at work
Lyk9
join:2013-08-21
canada

Lyk9 to Symtex

to Symtex

What I'm interested in the most is if UBB is here to stay or if this is a temporary money band-aid. Why invest in FTTH if the data cap are always going to limit what the connections are capable of?
DanteX

1 recommendation

DanteX

I think a better question is whats going to happen in another 16months from now when bandwidth usage quadruples from where it is now? Will we see our caps reduced even further?

cpmrich
@shawcable.net

cpmrich to bbbc

Anon

to bbbc
Symtech

Don'tintroduced ubb orcyour customers will job mp bscknyo shaw and get screwed again. Stop this now so your new customers switched from djaw hicj they offered reduced speeds and pricehike.

SStop indruxing ubb now!!!!¡!!

TelusLies
@charter.com

1 recommendation

TelusLies to Symtex

Anon

to Symtex
I find it hilarious that the Telus shills like Symtex and the fanboi supporters like pb2k are trying to justify this obvious money grab.

There are 2 statements that illustrate that Telus is lying:

1. Telus and their shills like TierX spent the last 15 years stating that their Internet doesn't slow down like cable as it is not shared. If their network is not shared, then there is no need for usage based billing as each user will not impact the other users. If their network is shared, then they have been lying for the last 15 years. Telus and their "experts" have been either stupid or lying. Which is it?
»[BC] How does internet speed "degrade"

2. Telus delivers VOD to an XBOX in your home. This is the exactly the same as Netflix. Unicast to the same CPE IP address. Why does the Netflix traffic count and the Optik VOD traffic not count? Because Telus is lying about the Optik traffic being on a separate network. It is exactly the same network otherwise the IP address on the XBOX would not work. No different VLAN, no tunnel. Just the same network. Only you pay for Netflix and not for Optik VOD. This is the same shit Bell got shut down on their mobile network.
WackyGaru
join:2009-02-10
Grande Prairie, AB

WackyGaru to cpmrich

to cpmrich
Huh?

M_
join:2010-05-01
Vancouver, BC

1 recommendation

M_ to Karthanon

to Karthanon

STOP THE PRESSES-THIS JUST IN!

TELUS have just announced all OPTIK TV customers now have a 120 minute per (calendar) day limit usage. Customers will be charged an additional $1.00 per 5 minute block of over-usage - with a maximum over-use charge of $12.00 per (calendar) day.

Confirmation of this to follow on TELUS' website.

« Will IPv6 addresses still be Dynamic?Telus usage display »
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 ... 15 · 16 · 17 · next