MerinX
Crunching for Cures
Premium Member
join:2011-02-03

MerinX to ShawSean

Premium Member

to ShawSean

Re: [ALL] Ask a Shaw Rep

Does shaw have any plans to implement Usage based billing?
Since telus is planning to make screwing over its customers i am considering going back to Shaw since 400g a month is unacceptable for the top tier service that is available in my area.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Kind of, if you are on their top plan, the bandwidth team can add blocks of data, but that is still knowing what your bill would be.

But UBB, they'll do the Xbox/PS4 thing, let the other guy try it first and see what happens

What I would like to see, is either:

a) open the pipe up, with the new Hitron, provision it for 1 gbps and bill per GB
or
b) charge for the speed, and not charge per GB.
tlhIngan
join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC

tlhIngan to MerinX

to MerinX
Well, technically Shaw does have UBB in the works.

Though unlike Telus, the plan has always been to upgrade you to the higher level tier so you get the benefit of extra speed for the rest of the billing period. At the very top you end up with unlimited data. so your bill ends up capped around $200 or so for the month (basically what the monthly price is for the top tier with unlimited data).

Right now, what's kept Shaw from enforcing it is the inadequacy of their metering and monitoring tools, and the fact that Telus hasn't been charging for it.

Now that Telus is charging, the need for Shaw to not enforce it is gone, so going to Shaw may or may not be the wisest idea. Might want to check out Teksavvy and other 3rd party ISPs. Or see what Shaw and Telus will have in the way of unlimited plans.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

said by tlhIngan:

Or see what Shaw and Telus will have in the way of unlimited plans.

Right now, and as far as I know, Shaw has an unlimited option on all their plans, $100/month extra
spectrum70
join:2011-01-14

spectrum70

said by kevinds:

Right now, and as far as I know, Shaw has an unlimited option on all their plans, $100/month extra

Didn't Shaw get rid of the unlimited plans some time ago?
I can't find it in the current plans listed on their webpage:

»www.shaw.ca/internet/com ··· e-plans/
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX to tlhIngan

to tlhIngan
Yes because nothing says competition doing what your competitor does and implement UBB I thought the whole point of competition was to reduce prices and increase service not jack up rates slow speeds and reduce caps at the same time your competitor does.

Shaw has the incentive here of not implementing UBB and reaping the rewards of Telus customers jumping ship for better offerings.

Then again competition in Canada is non existent and collusion is running rampant

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to spectrum70

Premium Member

to spectrum70
said by spectrum70:

Didn't Shaw get rid of the unlimited plans some time ago?
I can't find it in the current plans listed on their webpage:

Believe it is just gone from view, but may be gone forever for new cstomers because you can't order the base package for them now