Search similar:

uniqs

mitchell
join:2002-06-21
Darlington, SC

mitchell to Sentinel

to Sentinel

Re: New S5 - should I update?

I'm on 5.0 with my galaxy S5. I can see a little battery life decrease. I used to have over 70% at the end of the day (5 o'clockPM) now its at 60% and its just 2:45pm.

I have seen other little quirks, but I've adjusted to the new way of it working. I will be okay but I've had to purchase a battery backup to assure having battery until I get home at the end of the evening......Hopefully they will fix the increased battery draw issue.

PeeWee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

PeeWee to burner50

Premium Member

to burner50
said by burner50:

I'm happy as hell that I upgraded on my LG G3

Which service? You like L better than before?
Sentinel
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Florida

Sentinel to mitchell

Premium Member

to mitchell
Hopefully 5.1 will be better enough that pretty much everyone will be telling me to do the upgrade. Until that is available I'm probably better off sitting on the sidelines.

But when 5.1 comes out, will they push that to me if I am still running 4.4.4, or will they only offer to people running 5.0?

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium Member
join:2002-06-05
Iowa

burner50 to PeeWee

Premium Member

to PeeWee
said by PeeWee:

said by burner50:

I'm happy as hell that I upgraded on my LG G3

Which service? You like L better than before?

Sprint...

I should say that while I am using stock firmware, I am still rooted, however, the only thing I need root access for is Titanium Backup.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

Kinda screwed. Today I wake up and it had an update window I could not get out of. It pretty much mandated an update to 5.0.

Good news is that I reluctantly did it and so far at least it seems to be working quite well.
Kinda pissed that I was forced though. Not right

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

Santa Fe to Sentinel

to Sentinel
Funny, I've been wanting to upgrade to Lollipop on the Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 tablet I've got. Seems Samsung hath decided they will upgrade their Tab S tablets, but seem to ignore their Tab Pro ones. Funny, as the Pro tablets are more oriented towards business people than the S models, you would think they would get upgraded first. Oh well.
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

said by Santa Fe:

Funny, I've been wanting to upgrade to Lollipop on the Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 tablet I've got. Seems Samsung hath decided they will upgrade their Tab S tablets, but seem to ignore their Tab Pro ones. Funny, as the Pro tablets are more oriented towards business people than the S models, you would think they would get upgraded first. Oh well.

rumor is they may only do the 12.2. Samsung has been hush hush about the 8.4 and 10.1 pro's.

here is a good site its says they will get 5.0.2 but they have no info

»samsung.youmobile.org/

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to Sentinel

MVM

to Sentinel
said by Sentinel:

Kinda screwed. Today I wake up and it had an update window I could not get out of. It pretty much mandated an update to 5.0.

The phone carriers will allow people to defer the update for a while, but eventually, they will make you take the update. In the past, with Verizon and HTC, the update prompt had the "if-you-don't-respond-before-time-is-up-we'll-auto-update-anyway". So, if you saw it pop-up, you could tell it "no" or "defer". If it popped up in the middle of the night when you are asleep, after "x" seconds, it would proceed with applying the update.

wutsinterweb3
End Citizen's United
Premium Member
join:2014-08-26
USA

wutsinterweb3 to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
I wish I had known about this because I just got an S5 and as soon as I got home I updated it twice. However, a problem I was having (I couldn't swipe from the top sometimes to bring up the watcha ma call it window, sometimes I had to reboot the phone first), went away with the update. However, a brand new phone with such poor battery life is frustrating. I am loving the phone for the most part, but battery life is kinda so so, it's about the same as my 2 year old iPhone 4S, maybe less. But one reason I got the phone was so I could buy a spare battery and swap batteries when needed. Next month I'll buy a battery so I can do that. I wonder if there are chargers too?

I think it's true that the update to Lollipop eats battery life.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

Nope, not for me at least. I think it depends on what apps you have running in the background. So far, for me, battery life seems the same.

So far everything is OK. I see absolutely no reason to upgrade to 5.0. I see zero benefit. All I see is some minor design changes. No bad stuff but certainly no good stuff either.

That said I am finding one problem that hopefully I can find an answer to. After the update when I set my phone down for a while it logs off of the wi-fi. That is as it always has been under kitkat. But when I come back and pick up the phone it does not log back in to the wi-fi. I have to manually click my network and connect to it. Under 4.4.4 it just automatically connected when it came out of sleep mode.

Is this a known problem?