Premium Member
join:2002-10-26
Tullahoma, TN

2 edits

ErRoR0

Premium Member

Video card suggestion

Hey guys/gals,
I'm in need of a powerful gaming card for around 350-400 bucks. I've seen the 870 has some memory issues and am not real sure if it even matters. What card would you guys/gals pick up for around that amount of cash? I don't have a preference between ATI and Nvidia, just looking for a nice card.

Thanks for any help on the matter.

Eric

Edit: After reading some reviews, i guess it's between the Nvidia 970 and Radeon R9 290X? I'm just wanting to get a more knowledgeable opinions and what brands you guys would recommend.

FizzyMyNizzy
join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy

Skip the GTX 970. #MemoryGate

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 37jlPCIk

When you use pass 3.5GB, The last 512 vram the FPS will drop like crazy, shatter, and even screen freeze.

FYI, R9 300 series coming out this year.
»videocardz.com/54858/amd ··· -grenada

I suggest getting R9 385x, R9 390, R9 390x, Because those will be using the new HBM vram. Instead of the GDDR5 ram.

This gen if HBM i think it is almost 5 times faster. So, I guess R9 400 series maybe will have the version 2 of HBM which is 9 times faster than GDDR5 ram.
»wccftech.com/amd-20nm-r9 ··· n-gddr5/

ErRoR0
Premium Member
join:2002-10-26
Tullahoma, TN

ErRoR0

Premium Member

Oh that looks awesome! I wonder what the prices will be?

BKayrac
Premium Member
join:2001-09-29

1 edit

BKayrac to ErRoR0

Premium Member

to ErRoR0
»www.anandtech.com/show/8 ··· location

"The worst case scenario on the other hand would be to have the NVIDIA heuristics fail, or alternatively ending up with a workload where no great solution exists, and over 3.5GB of resources must be repeatedly and heavily accessed. In this case there is certainly the potential for performance to crumple, especially if accessing resources in the slow segment is a blocking action. And in this case the GTX 970 would still perform better than a true 3.5GB card since the slow segment is still much faster than system memory, but it’s nonetheless significantly slower than the 3.5GB segment as well."

Basically, people are upset that nvidia said it was 4gb, and it's 3.5+extra(where the extra isn't really 'usable')......But at the end of the day, it's still a 3.5gig+a little extra card. And at it's price point, vs performance is a ridiculous value.

Basically, at your price point, the gtx 970 is the best card you could possibly get.