spc
Search similar:

uniqs

NMK
@comcast.net

NMK

Anon

[Connectivity] I can track my internet getting slower with temp

So in the past couple days the temp here in Indianapolis has been -11 at some times. During the evening when it dips the most i can honestly watch my internet speed and ping become worse as the temp goes lower. Currently the temp is 15 degrees and my dl speed is only 3.5 mbps (normally 50) but upload is fine at 11.18. Last night when it went down to -11 my internet stopped functioning.

Any suggestions here?

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

Post a screenshot of your signals from »192.168.100.1 or »10.0.0.1 . While the levels will normally will fluctuate with colder/warmer temps, you may have other signal problems that we can troubleshoot.
Also describe your home network setup (how you are testing speeds, router, wired or wireless, etc.)

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to NMK

MVM

to NMK
For me, when the outdoor temperatures have been near 0 degs F (like this morning), the downstream carrier levels displayed by my ARRIS TM822G eMTA are about 8 dB higher than usual (but the SNRs drop by 2 dB or more). The upstream carrier levels only decrease by 1 dB or less, however.

I've never noticed any change in my speeds, though.

See this thread from last winter: »[Connectivity] I hate cold weather

nmk
@comcast.net

nmk to train_wreck

Anon

to train_wreck
Click for full size
here is the signal. Im getting about 5-7 down right now. Keeping in mind i normally get 50. I talked to comcast and they are supposed to have someone look at the outside line but who knows if they will actually come out.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

So according to this:

»Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »What should my Signal Levels be?

Your downstream SNR is right at the minimum, and you have a considerable amount of codeword errors. This likely will be a truck roll thing.

One thing, what's the path of the coax cable going from the modem to the eventual outside of the house? Any splitters or other pieces of equipment connected?

NMK
@comcast.net

NMK

Anon

The cable runs from the box in the street to the box on the house. Lovely that i have alot of errors. Appreciate you guys looking at it

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by train_wreck:

So according to this: »Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »What should my Signal Levels be?

Your downstream SNR is right at the minimum, and you have a considerable amount of codeword errors.

I'm thinking that maybe the downstream transmission rate isn't actually dropping, but the net user data throughput is, due to all the packet retransmissions that are occurring, given all those "uncorrectable" codeword errors shown.

Each time the modem cannot correct an errored codeword, it must request that the CMTS re-transmit it again [and then hopefully receive it "unerrored," or can at least correct any errors in it using the "Forward Error Correction" (FEC) coding that's used].

NMK
@tmodns.net

NMK

Anon

So do you think a new modem is in order or that it's the equipment out side

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by NMK :

So do you think a new modem is in order or that it's the equipment out side

Given the variation with temperature, I would say it's most likely due to something outside.
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

Click for full size
Sunny and 45 degrees
said by telcodad:

For me, when the outdoor temperatures have been near 0 degs F (like this morning), the downstream carrier levels displayed by my ARRIS TM822G eMTA are about 8 dB higher than usual (but the SNRs drop by 2 dB or more). The upstream carrier levels only decrease by 1 dB or less, however.

I've never noticed any change in my speeds, though.

See this thread from last winter: »[Connectivity] I hate cold weather

Well, now that we're experiencing sunny skies and above 40 degs F temps here today, my downstream signal levels and SNRs are headed the other way now (into the crapper), especially on the highest 2 channels in frequency.

What line equipment could be responsible for this?

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

bad/stuck adu, amp going bad, power back malfunctioning...

your signal gets worse the higher it goes....could be water in tap....

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

said by telcodad:

Well, now that we're experiencing sunny skies and above 40 degs F temps here today, my downstream signal levels and SNRs are headed the other way now (into the crapper), especially on the highest 2 channels in frequency.

What line equipment could be responsible for this?

said by gar187er:

bad/stuck adu, amp going bad, power back malfunctioning...

your signal gets worse the higher it goes....could be water in tap....

OK, thanks.

Thankfully the Video QAM carriers that the NASCAR Daytona 500 race are on are lower in frequency (273 MHz SD / 471 MHz HD).

Although I do have the ability to receive the NYC Fox station OTA if necessary.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to telcodad

to telcodad
Click for full size
I've had an outage all afternoon since 1pm with the Upstream power levels reporting 50 and 51 dBmV from my usual 48.3 dBmV and my modem not being able to latch onto any upstream channels. I called Comcast, they said it was a firmware update to Motorola and Zoom modems for NJ according to an email from the engineers and that I shouldn't have another issue. Modem never got an update (and I've seen nothing on the forum about people reporting any updates) but the connection came back. I went out and came home around 3pm and found the same problem. Was on the phone with techs, they simply said the modem was reporting as offline and couldn't really help me but either replace the modem or have a tech come out. So that's what I did. Modem came back online about 83 minutes ago and upstream dBmV is back at 48.3 and 49.0 though I still want the tech to check things out outside, might need line maintenance to check it? I honestly am thinking the fluctuating temperatures and rain and snow is becoming an issue.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

nothing works well in zero degree temps....cable included

a .7 flucuation in levels isnt going to cause you to go offline, something else was going on. you wont get a line tech to check it out if your modem is online. they have wider more pressing issues to deal with. if you service guys finds something though he will submit a ticket for it.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck to telcodad

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

I'm thinking that maybe the downstream transmission rate isn't actually dropping, but the net user data throughput is, due to all the packet retransmissions that are occurring, given all those "uncorrectable" codeword errors shown.

Interesting, never considered that correlation. So the "codewords per second" may be normal, but the "megabits per second" may not.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Click for full size
Early Morning and 1 deg
And now, early this morning, it's 1 deg F outside and my downstream signal levels are way up (more than a 20 dB swing), with the SNRs 3 to 4 dB worse than normal (most likely due to noise amplification somewhere).