All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi

Crowdfunding

Crowdfunding has become very popular in the past few years, for example they raised $90K for the 3 year old boy in Toronto who unfortunately died.

it will definitely not take $90K to bury the little lad, and the rest of the money goes to to parents or relatives....Crowdfunding is a charity of sorts or is it, and will they pay taxes on the $90K.

why doesn't the Crowdfunding pay the funeral expenses and keep the rest in trust and it can go to the next victim?

would like to hear how does this Crowfunding work, anyone have any comments pls.

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut

Anon

To me, crowdfunding is basically "high tech begging for money using the internet."

If you have a worthy "hook" you can get thousands of well meaning idiots to contribute a few bucks of their hard earned cash and like a hundred thousand drops of rain, it adds up to a swimming pool for the recipient.

As for taxes, in Canada gifts are not taxable so the answer is you get to keep the cash free and clear.

As for organizing a trust to manage the excess? There's absolutely no regulation or governing body and no real rules to speak of other than the crowdfunding sites themselves, and their main interest is skimming a fraction of a percent from the "love offerings" themselves.

Some crowdfundings ARE legitimate. Sometimes it's a venture capital startup for a new service or a new product. Sometimes it's a human tragedy looking to pay off medical or legal bills and the only return is a warm and fuzzy feeling in the donor's heart.

But stripped to its barest essence, make no mistake, it's cyberbegging pure and simple.

Even if only one idiot in a million is willing to donate to your cause, with a worldwide internet population over 2 billion that's a LOT of idiots with too much cash and no inhibitions about throwing it in your direction.
analog andy
join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC

1 recommendation

analog andy to jaberi

to jaberi
I wouldn't care if the money I donated went to the parents.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
said by jaberi:

Crowdfunding is a charity of sorts or is it, and will they pay taxes on the $90K.

As a gift it would not be considered taxable income.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
said by jaberi:

Crowdfunding has become very popular in the past few years, for example they raised $90K for the 3 year old boy in Toronto who unfortunately died.

Last number I read was 126K, people are truly stupid.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to analog andy

to analog andy
said by analog andy:

I wouldn't care if the money I donated went to the parents.

Me either, from what I heard they lived in Toronto Community Housing. That rest of that money could get them a downpayment on a house or at the very least fund a better rental for them.

joeblow3
join:2000-12-27
h0h0h0

joeblow3 to jaberi

to jaberi
I agree with most here. Crowdfunding in these type of instances is stupid. I will never give in to that.

Even in other instances where it is say a cop or a fire fighter (just an example, don't get upset). You don't think the family makes out ok with insurance and money from the police/fire association? ?

So what will the family do with the rest of the money? It will cost no more than $5-6,000 for the funeral and maybe some funeral home will discount it just for the publicity. The rest of the money will probably waste it away.

I know alot of funeral homes do infant funerals for free, yes free. Not sure if a 3 yo would be.

I guess people give because it makes them feel better.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
I don't know, it seems bad considering the site takes a portion off the top for themselves. By rights the person setting it up should be able to cap it so that after a set point no more donations/gifts are accepted. Recall the uproar over how the Red Cross didn't spend all the money donated from the September 11, 2001 attacks on its victims and set a portion aside for future disasters. People that donated were upset though I hope in light of large amount collected and the ensuing catastrophes which have occurred since that they have come to realize that it was the right thing to do. It was a lot of money they collected and in that attack few survived to need financial help.

I assume it will be all turned over to the family, I hope they use it to set up a bunch of scholarships, donate some of it to various charities and generally put the money to use for the benefit of other people which are having a hard time. Perhaps they will establish a trust that will dispense door alarms and related devices to low income families so that their kids don't suffer the same fate.

In reality who knows, once given to them they are free to spend it in anyway that they wish, for better or worse. They may opt for the econo-treatment (cremation in a cardboard box, ashes in a plastic bag, no visitation or memorial) and spend the rest on themselves, without a reasonable cap on such campaigns its the risk one has to accept before they give any money.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

2 recommendations

Gone

Premium Member

I highly doubt there will be anything but a large funeral. The community is sharing in the grief, and they will demand it. It's even gone so far that they're renaming his daycare after him. People are truly disturbed and very upset over this happening. I don't even live in Toronto and I'm having a hard time dealing with this. And that's why people are giving money, it makes them feel better.

Oh and BTW - the company that is handling the crowdfunding is also waiving their fees. And after the unimaginable pain that this family is experiencing, if spending the money they get on senseless things for themselves helps them forget for a brief moment the horror they will live with for the rest of their lives, I'm okay with that. And knowing this, I don't think anyone who donated money gives two shits about anyone who thinks they're stupid. It's their money, not yours. So piss off.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

It wasn't meant as criticism for the family, once they get the money, yes it is theirs to use and I said about as much. I was not aware the company waved its fee, that was nice of them and I applaud them from doing so and not capitalizing on the generosity of givers.

You don't have to be there or live there to understand and feel the absolute horror of it; and yes you are right it will haunt them until the day they die.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Some of my comments weren't directly at you specifically.

Though I will say, talking about plastic bags and cardboard boxes was pretty damn off putting. Just not necessary at all.
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi to joeblow3

to joeblow3
said by joeblow3:

I agree with most here. Crowdfunding in these type of instances is stupid. I will never give in to that.

Even in other instances where it is say a cop or a fire fighter (just an example, don't get upset). You don't think the family makes out ok with insurance and money from the police/fire association? ?

So what will the family do with the rest of the money? It will cost no more than $5-6,000 for the funeral and maybe some funeral home will discount it just for the publicity. The rest of the money will probably waste it away.

I know alot of funeral homes do infant funerals for free, yes free. Not sure if a 3 yo would be.

I guess people give because it makes them feel better.

we have 2 dead bodies which need to be flown home, plus 3 more dead bodies that need to be flown home.... 5 children are left without a father.....all in one week...horrific accidents.

to give and feeling better is fine, but let the recipients not be greedy and share the loot with others who never anticipated the unfortunate news.
jaberi

1 edit

jaberi to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

said by jaberi:

Last number I read was 126K, people are truly stupid.

wow, that's no chump change, (Donations are still being accepted until 5 p.m. Sunday.)

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

$165,000 at the moment.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
They are going to blow through the cash like it's no tomorrow. They'll be right back to where they are in about 2 months time.

I wonder if TCHC will decide it's "income" and jack their rent up.

I can see it now. a new big screen tv, some ostentatious car or truck, fancy new clothes, after all, that's Elijah would want them to have right?

Somebody mentioned buying a home, not in Toronto, even with a 100K down a modest 3-400K house, they couldn't carry the mortgage (nor would they qualify for one).

Am I cynical, yes, 10K would have MORE then enough to bury the kid. The rest is "gravy"

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker to lugnut

Premium Member

to lugnut
said by lugnut :

To me, crowdfunding is basically "high tech begging for money using the internet."

Agreed. However, I did look into this one and it wasn't the family who started it. It was another father (someone with a child of the same age) who wanted to do something other than feel sad for the boy's family.

Crowdfunding has become big business for those running the sites. My preference is to give to registered charities (once I've evaluated their spending), but others feel that there are gaps and want to fill it.
Expand your moderator at work

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Re: Crowdfunding

No , how does money compensate for the loss of a child.

You talk about your own son scaring the crap out of you with his inguenity , yet if something should happen to him , and putting any financial resources your extended family might have aside, can you put a price tag on it?

Help with funeral costs, thank you very much, the rest should go to a charity or something.

Once the dust has settled on the funeral, I can see some ambulance chaser trying to sue the TCHC for negligence.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

2 recommendations

TLS2000

Premium Member

Money doesn't replace the child, but it makes the family's lives a little easier.

After the funeral expenses, the family is still going to be struggling with grief. That money can be used for counseling, or to assist the parents with taking an extended time off of work to deal with the loss.

Have a heart man.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Exactly. Money won't bring him back, but it sure as hell can make things a shred easier.
Gone

Gone to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

You talk about your own son scaring the crap out of you with his inguenity , yet if something should happen to him , and putting any financial resources your extended family might have aside, can you put a price tag on it?

I could never put a price on my son. Or my daughter. Or my wife. But if something did happen to one of them and I got a few bucks to help me forget about the grief for a brief period of time, it would be appreciated.

If I wanted to build a bonfire and burn it all I would do it, and it would be no one's goddamn business that I did. So stop trying to act like you have any entitlement at all to determine how much money they should receive and/or what they are "allowed" to do with it.
bjlockie
join:2007-12-16
Ontario
Technicolor TC4350
Asus RT-AC56
Grandstream HandyTone 702/704

bjlockie to jaberi

to jaberi
said by jaberi:

How was he able to get out of the apartment?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
At what point did I say I had an entitlement?
They're poor folks , who are about to get more money then they've ever seen.
They'll blow it in an instant

Thane .. Ohip pays for grief counselling, as for loss of income, only an whole of an employer wouldn't pay for a week or so off.

When my Dad died , not only did I take a week off,my employer sent flowers and one of the owners came to the funeral.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
I understand.
I put it as an accurate reference for how much so little costs, funerals aren't cheap and families can have a hard time even paying out that amount. One can imagine the tragedy of loosing a child and not having the means to lay them to rest properly because of lack of money; thanks to the generosity of others its not a worry they will face and frankly one that no one should.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Why does any of that even matter?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by Gone:

said by elwoodblues:

Why does any of that even matter?

For some reason it bothers me. Immensely And no it's not about the money, i don't need it.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

Gone

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

For some reason it bothers me.

That's your problem.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

only an whole of an employer wouldn't pay for a week or so off.

A lot of places it's three days (I think that's what it is where I work) with pay. However, I haven't looked at the specifics. I'm sure it's coldly spelled out in the bargaining contract for the union how many days you get for which family member, etc.. A coworker mentioned recently that maybe a decade ago when her mother died the previous HR person told her she needed a death certificate to get paid. Note, this is a small town where everyone knew what had happened, but rules are rules you know. :-(

The last place I worked I had a go around with the general manager when I wanted to give someone a leave of absence as his only family member was dying. I had talked to HR and we agreed that it would be nice for him to spend time with the person beforehand, not after. He hadn't asked, but we were slow enough that I could afford to have him gone (and to be fair he was pretty distracted at work). It was without pay but of course it meant I probably incurred a small amount of OT to cover his absence. Not much, as I said, we were slow, but I was surprised how tough it was to get it approved.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Someone who works under a collective agreement, is different then you and me who are salaried. I don't suspect that the parents of Elijah have good union paying jobs, or they wouldn't be living in social housing.

In my particular case, I called in left a message for the controller (who who acted as HR,my boss was on a course),my Boss called me later in the day asking if they could do anything, where the funeral was (I had no idea it was somewhere near my folks place.. I knew the church but not the address),where they could send flowers etc..

I came back to week a week later, no questions asked.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

I don't suspect that the parents of Elijah have good union paying jobs, or they wouldn't be living in social housing.

It was his grandmother who lived there, and his mother is a nurse - not exactly a low paying job nor one without union representation. You really need to try harder.