All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

WowSub
@wideopenwest.com

WowSub

Anon

WOW Internet Undergoing Major Trouble in Columbus?

Is WoW having trouble/doing changes/something else right now?

My ping (games and Pingtest.net) have been fine until about five days ago, now this whole week in the evening I'm having AWFUL problems - ping is very high, Pingtest.net shows wild jitter, 1-10% packet loss and massive ping to servers in Columbus.

Summer 2014 I contacted WoW_Dan and he had something done by my local WoW staff with new hardware on their end, and that abated this issue for the last six months or so, but now it's back and it's exactly the same as it was - during prime hours.

So is WoW undergoing problems or changes?
hotwasabi
join:2008-06-15
Westerville, OH

2 edits

hotwasabi

I'm experiencing the same thing. My pings are so much higher right now than they ever have been. Usually I am in the low 20s or teens but now I get a ping of 79 and my speeds are erratic and slower than usual. Have you tried calling tech support? I reset my modem and router but no change.

WowSub
@wideopenwest.com

WowSub

Anon

I generally do not resort to calling them.

First, they treated my wife very, very poorly when she called them (they laughed at her because she said her primary problem was that her ping in her games was too high) and second, when I finally got my issue resolved, I got no help from the phone support for it - WoW Dan from these forums and another guy who got ahold of me via e-mail fixed it.

Tonight, like the last several nights, it didn't abate until ~12AM. I assume it will be bad all day today since it's quite cold outside and most people will be in-doors playing on PCs and watching Netflix. Joy.
hotwasabi
Westerville, OH

hotwasabi to WowSub

to WowSub
I'll give them a call later today if the problem returns but so far today it's great. Here's my results so far:

gene32
join:2004-05-03
Reynoldsburg, OH

gene32 to WowSub

to WowSub
Same here. I have the 50/5 package and for about the past week, every once and a while, my ping times will reach 1,000+ and I'll get 1 meg down and 2 megs up on WOW's speed test site. But after a few minutes, speeds are fine. Something is definitely going on. I'd call in to see if WOW support can fix it but like we all know, they'll blame my cable modem (I own my modem) or say, "Nope, nothing looks odd to us."

WOW_Dan helped me with a problem a long time ago as the support he provides is light years beyond the help you get calling their front line folks. Since these issues (for me) only last a few minutes, every other day, they aren't to the point where I feel the need to bring them to Dan's attention.

WOW_James
Premium Member
join:2014-12-04
Woodland, GA

WOW_James to WowSub

Premium Member

to WowSub
Where are you connecting to that you are seeing poor latency?
Speed test sites are fine if you have the IP of the site you are connecting to.

Thanks
James
hotwasabi
Westerville, OH

hotwasabi to WowSub

to WowSub
Looks like the speeds are starting to get slower now and the pings are getting higher:

WOW_James
Premium Member
Woodland, GA

WOW_James

Premium Member

Whats the IP of the Byersville, Oh Speedtest server you were testing against??
hotwasabi
Westerville, OH

hotwasabi to WowSub

to WowSub
Click for full size
Here's a traceroute I just did from ping.eu. I don't know if this will help you though.
hotwasabi

hotwasabi to WowSub

to WowSub
Click for full size
Here's another traceroute form monitis.com:

WOW_James
Premium Member
Woodland, GA

1 edit

WOW_James

Premium Member

Does it seem to perform better now??
hotwasabi
Westerville, OH

hotwasabi to WowSub

to WowSub
So far it looks much better and I love the ping from the first test at speedtest.net:

hotwasabi

hotwasabi to WowSub

to WowSub
Thanks for your help in this matter, I appreciate it.

WOW_James
Premium Member
Woodland, GA

WOW_James

Premium Member

Glad to be of service..

Have a good weekend.

James
adam1991
join:2012-06-16
united state

adam1991 to WowSub

to WowSub
I've been having the more than occasional what I call "lag" problem for many months now. I'll hit a web site and I'll sit for many, many seconds--15 to 30--with no activity on my cable modem, then all of the sudden the lights go wild and my web page starts to load.

My pingtest tonight is horrible, with lots of packet loss.

WowSub
@wideopenwest.com

WowSub to WOW_James

Anon

to WOW_James
I'm connecting to World of Warcraft, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and League of Legends servers, located anywhere from locally to me, to Chicago, to California.

I'm used to getting around 23ms to Chicago, now it's more like 150-200, all the time.

I can post a traceroute if you'd like to at least one or two of those - the World of Warcraft/Blizzard games problem is the one I'm most concerned by because it's the only one that goes beyond a playable level.

This issue is eerily similar to the problems I had this past summer; I hope it doesn't require the same solution again, seems more like a bandage at that point.

WOW_James
Premium Member
Woodland, GA

WOW_James

Premium Member

If you can tell me what wow realm your servers are in I should be able to look into it.
Also what City you are in, so I now what locations to test from. (Test from Florida wont mean much if you are in Michigan....)

Thanks
James

WowSub
@wideopenwest.com

WowSub

Anon

I play on Zul'jin, which is on the Ruin realmgroup/cluster.

I was experiencing serious spikes about 20 minutes ago playing League of Legends as well - going from around 89ms to 300 for short periods but several times. I made sure I didn't have anything streaming and my wife wasn't doing anything intensive either.

192.64.170.252 is the NA LoL server's address for a trace route according to the company site.

206.18.98.184 is possibly the WoW server's IP?

Hopefully those help.

Thanks for your response.
WowSub

WowSub

Anon

Oh sorry - I can't edit my post - I live in Grove City, Ohio - it's a suburb of Columbus.

WOW_James
Premium Member
Woodland, GA

WOW_James to WowSub

Premium Member

to WowSub
All of the IPs that I can find don't respond to ping or trace.... Kindof annoying.

Ill ping the guys from Riot this week and see if I can get access to a lookingglass on their network. They are pretty good about that sort of thing.

I dont ahve any contacts as WOW, but I will do what I can. I am interested int eh path from their locations back in to you. I can see the path out and it doesn't look bad....

Thanks
James

WowSub
@wideopenwest.com

WowSub

Anon

If you can somehow access whatever was done back in the summer through Dan Della Terza, that may help? The symptoms are nearly identical to what was going on back then, and I had all sorts of e-mails from him and another guy talking about new hardware being installed on WOW's end to fix my prime-time ping problems.
hotwasabi
Westerville, OH

hotwasabi to WowSub

to WowSub
I'm getting some awful speed results this morning:

Other speedtests are good but the speedtest.net test from a local Columbus server has been bad this morning. I usually get results well above 110Mbps.

WOW_James
Premium Member
Woodland, GA

WOW_James

Premium Member

One of the big issues is that, while speedtest.net tests give good performance info.. I need to have a server hostname or IP address to look into the path and try to find issues.

When selecting the Columbus speedtest server, did you select the BrescoBroadband server or the racksquared server?

Thanks
James
WOW_James

WOW_James to WowSub

Premium Member

to WowSub
Our Riot Games peering session in Chicago went is down at the moment, we are working with Riot to bring that back up. That whould help with LoL.

Working on WOW.

Thanks
James
hotwasabi
Westerville, OH

hotwasabi to WOW_James

to WOW_James
I was using the Racksquared server. Thanks for looking into this for me!

WowSub
@wideopenwest.com

WowSub

Anon

Thanks James, your work doesn't go unappreciated.

Does any of the Riot stuff relate to the whole new infrastructure they've been trying to build across the states to make a better network for just LoL?

WOW_James
Premium Member
Woodland, GA

WOW_James

Premium Member

Yup,
They started peering and doing a lot of work with all of us home service providers. They are really doing a lot there.. its gonna be great. But right now the peer is down in Chicago so we have a less than optimal path to them.

Hope to have it up soon.

Thanks,
James
WOW_James

WOW_James to hotwasabi

Premium Member

to hotwasabi
We are dropping this traffic onto XO in Indianola, then XO is hauling the traffic to Racksquared in Columbus. So this should be a pretty high bandwidth link.

Can you PM me your home IP? I would like to see XOs route back to you from racksquared.

Thanks
James
hotwasabi
Westerville, OH

hotwasabi to WowSub

to WowSub
Click for full size
YouTube is experiencing major slowdowns for me and now I am getting a little upset as I was told, when I ordered new service with WOW, that they will guarantee my speed on the 110/5 tier. It's not working nearly as well as I've expected it to.
hotwasabi

hotwasabi to WowSub

to WowSub
OK maybe they are doing some upgrading and that would explain my odd speedtest results and the YouTube slowdowns. I just did a speedtest and my upload speed is no testing close to 15Mbps! Hopefully that means they are giving the upload speeds a boost