uniqs

srtdodge05
Premium Member
join:2011-10-16
Ypsilanti, MI

srtdodge05

Premium Member

Asus RT-N66R Wan issue

I've had an Asus RT-N66R as my main router for about 2 years now. I also have the same router on the second floor setup as a AP only. I've been playing with different firmware's lately for the best performance. My Wan port is rated at 1000mb. I'm using a Motorola SB6141 on Comcast. For whatever reason neither one of these routers want ports will run at 1000mb as they are rated. I tried cat5e and cat6 cables at 6ft long and no change. If I plug my modem into my pc or into a network switch I get 1000mb. On the router if I have more modem or a network switch plugged into the wan port 100mb is max. I've installed the same combo Motorola SB6141 and the Asus RT-N66R at 3 different locations and all of them have the same issue. Internet provider is Comcast and charter.

What would be causing this?

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Can you turn off the auto negotiation on the WAN ports?

srtdodge05
Premium Member
Ypsilanti, MI

srtdodge05

Premium Member

There is no options to change on the Wan port that I can find.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA

Napsterbater to srtdodge05

MVM

to srtdodge05
I have seen that a few time here on the forums, one device or the other is not playing nice or following spec, not sure which is to blame.

srtdodge05
Premium Member
Ypsilanti, MI

srtdodge05

Premium Member

I grabbed my second RT-N66R that I used for AP only and reset it back to default. I hooked it up to my modem and it connect to 1000mb on the WAN. I plugged into my gigabit switch and it also connected 1000mb. So what was my main router the WAN port will not run at 1000mb no matter what it is connected too. I'm going to try to do a RMA with Asus to see if they will replace it.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Glad to hear you have resolved the problem.
puzz1ed
join:2005-02-20
Markham, ON

puzz1ed to srtdodge05

to srtdodge05
Inspect the pins in the WAN port. Gigabit requires all 8 pins while 100mbit only 4.