Premium Member
join:2014-12-04
Woodland, GA

WOW_James to Sadachara

Premium Member

to Sadachara

Re: Bad Pings in Royal Oak - starting 2/20

Sadachara,
What is the IP you are pinging?? And what Market do you live in? PM me the info if you don't want it shows int he public forum. I cant see whats wrong with out more info.

As to 30ms to a local datacenter.. Local in distance maybe, but remember, the internet doesn't travel down the streets of your town. We only connect to certain networks at certain places, so we may have to take an odd path to get where you are going...

I live in Tampa Fl, I don't live in a WOW service area...... So, via my Fios connection I leave my house, go to Miami, then to Atlanta then back to Tampa to get to our Tampa datacenter... Over 40ms to travel about 8 miles....
Several of my co-workers on WOW! or even BHN can connect to the datacenter from similar distances in 3ms or so........
I feel your pain, It may be something I can look into and tweak, or it may be something that cant be changed. but I'll look into it and let you know.

James

Neosniper
@wideopenwest.com

Neosniper

Anon

Any idea why I live in Grove City, OH but I'm routed through a data center in Alabama? I have 40ms ping times to just about any address I test and every time the slowest hops are when I'm sent to Alabama. Never Columbus or Cleveland or Chicago. Always Alabama.
baess
join:2011-01-28

baess

said by Neosniper :

Any idea why I live in Grove City, OH but I'm routed through a data center in Alabama? I have 40ms ping times to just about any address I test and every time the slowest hops are when I'm sent to Alabama. Never Columbus or Cleveland or Chicago. Always Alabama.

Pretty sure everyone gets routed through the former Knology areas.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to RootWyrm

Mod

to RootWyrm
You know none of those work or are correct, right?