spc
Search similar:

uniqs

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9

March 2015 Price Increase

I'm on paperless billing, so it's pure coincidence I even saw this. Feb 2015 statement announced the price of my internet-only service is going up by 11.4 percent starting next month.

So folks... that "free" speed boost we got wasn't free after all. It was on the leading edge of a price increase, probably strategically timed to soften the news.

Gearshift159
@bhn.net

Gearshift159

Anon

Sure would like to see a BHN contributor comment on this......

I mean, if this Poster is correct, that really was a sneaky Backdoor move on the part of a Company who has for the most part been upfront with its customers. If this was a short time gift to soften the eventual increase, then when the Bump was pushed customers should have been notified a price Increase would be forthcoming and they could elect to decrease their service Level......That is what a "Hello Friend" company in my opinion would have done.

Now, if this increase is coming on the heels on a Promo expiring, then at least that makes this appearance look a little better, but still,a 11% increase....who out in the real world is getting a 11% increase in earnings......

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz to rebus9

Premium Member

to rebus9
What internet package do you have and what do you currently pay?

rebus9
Tampa Bay

1 recommendation

rebus9 to Gearshift159

to Gearshift159
said by Gearshift159 :

He and I exchanged what I *thought* was a cordial conversation in IMs over the past couple of days. Today, he wrote, "...perhaps another provider would make you happier. Sorry to see you go" when I never even hinted about any desire to switch. I've always been pro-Brighthouse as far as their people go and my posting history demonstrates that, but the IM exchange this time left a real sour taste in my mouth.
said by Gearshift159 :

Now, if this increase is coming on the heels on a Promo expiring, then at least that makes this appearance look a little better, but still,a 11% increase....who out in the real world is getting a 11% increase in earnings......

No package expiration. I've had the same service continuously since early 2002, with the only changes being the occasional automatic speed bump like the one we got a few months ago.
Michael_D
join:2013-02-17
Indianapolis, IN

Michael_D to rebus9

to rebus9
No change on my February statement for the Indianapolis market.

Standard Internet Service 54.00
Lightning 150 Internet 50.00
Total $104
jcarerra
join:2007-06-13
Satellite Beach, FL

jcarerra

What are we doing...???!
$104 per month is $1,248 per year.
For an internet connection. Even 150 tier. Still.
And I guarantee you there are plus up taxes and fees on top of that.
Have we lost our minds.

I point this at myself as well; I'm paying just under $2K a year, including TV and one VOIP phone line.

Then, one realizes that it is even more...how much must one earn to have $2000 left over after taxes to pay this.
Michael_D
join:2013-02-17
Indianapolis, IN

Michael_D

said by jcarerra:

What are we doing...???!

Unfortunately BHN (or Comcast, depending on clearly-drawn boundaries) have a legal monopoly in my market and there are no cable providers allowed to provide services.

I don't waste my money on television services so there are no additional fees each month.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 recommendation

BHNtechXpert to rebus9

Premium Member

to rebus9
said by rebus9:

I'm on paperless billing, so it's pure coincidence I even saw this. Feb 2015 statement announced the price of my internet-only service is going up by 11.4 percent starting next month.

So folks... that "free" speed boost we got wasn't free after all. It was on the leading edge of a price increase, probably strategically timed to soften the news.

This is not correct. Internet pricing has not changed for 2015 UNLESS you were at Lite.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to Gearshift159

Premium Member

to Gearshift159
said by Gearshift159 :

I mean, if this Poster is correct, that really was a sneaky Backdoor move on the part of a Company who has for the most part been upfront with its customers. If this was a short time gift to soften the eventual increase, then when the Bump was pushed customers should have been notified a price Increase would be forthcoming and they could elect to decrease their service Level......That is what a "Hello Friend" company in my opinion would have done.

I just commented on it...not correct.
Wally173
join:2013-05-08
Lithia, FL

Wally173 to jcarerra

to jcarerra
said by jcarerra:

What are we doing...???!
$104 per month is $1,248 per year.
For an internet connection. Even 150 tier. Still.
And I guarantee you there are plus up taxes and fees on top of that.
Have we lost our minds.

I point this at myself as well; I'm paying just under $2K a year, including TV and one VOIP phone line.

Then, one realizes that it is even more...how much must one earn to have $2000 left over after taxes to pay this.

Yes it is expensive. Yes power is expensive. Yes water is expensive. Yes my car payment is expensive.

I did a few tours in Afghanistan and trust me we have it made. Yes we have to pay for it but I never take my power, a/c, water, internet, and even the washing machine and dryer for granted. And especially my shower

Nothing is free it all comes at a price. However, I am grateful we have the option of having it and always will be

Trust me. We could be living A LOT worse...

rebus9
Tampa Bay

rebus9 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by rebus9:

This is not correct. Internet pricing has not changed for 2015 UNLESS you were at Lite.

Not Lite. Take a look at my bill-- you know who I am. I'll PM you the account number anyway.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by rebus9:

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by rebus9:

Not Lite. Take a look at my bill-- you know who I am. I'll PM you the account number anyway.

If you were on a promotion that expired that is normal...that does not mean a rate increase just means your promotional rate expired.

rebus9
Tampa Bay

rebus9

What promo rate? I haven't made ANY changes to my service since the day I signed up in March 2002. No tier changes, no adds/deletes of services. I don't see a way to upload an image in IM or I'd send you a screenshot.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to rebus9

Premium Member

to rebus9
Are you talking a business account or residential?

rebus9
Tampa Bay

rebus9

Res. I just IM'd you a link to the whole statement.
bighorn1
Premium Member
join:2004-06-19
BD, CA

2 recommendations

bighorn1 to Wally173

Premium Member

to Wally173
said by Wally173:

Trust me. We could be living A LOT better...
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to rebus9

Premium Member

to rebus9
said by rebus9:

Res. I just IM'd you a link to the whole statement.

Residential or Business?

Residential there was NO increase for 2015 unless you were on the lite tier...period.
Wally173
Lithia, FL

Wally173 to bighorn1

to bighorn1
said by bighorn1:

said by Wally173:

Trust me. We could be living A LOT better...

Yes we could, however I did not want to involve politics in this thread :P.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to rebus9

Premium Member

to rebus9
Rebus @ $44.00 you are on a promotional rate. The current a la carte rate is $54 which did not change for 2015. Your promotional rate is stepping just like every other promtion we have.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

1 recommendation

gigahurtz to rebus9

Premium Member

to rebus9
Since you're on the standard 15/1 package, check out Earthlink. Go to www.earthlink.net and sign up. The current promo is $29.95/mo for 6 months and then it goes to $43.95/mo after that. It's the same 15/1 speeds (I had them several years back when I just had internet through Brighthouse). I would recommend them again and know several people who have it and are pleased with the speeds.
bighorn1
Premium Member
join:2004-06-19
BD, CA

2 recommendations

bighorn1 to Wally173

Premium Member

to Wally173
said by Wally173:

I did not want to involve politics

It's about ethics. Would you sell Kia @ Ferrari price to your friend?
said by Brighthouse :

It is about what it means to be a service provider by asking a very simple question: If we saw friends instead of customers, wouldn’t that change everything?

»brighthouse.com/hello-fr ··· end.html
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to gigahurtz

Premium Member

to gigahurtz
said by gigahurtz:

Since you're on the standard 15/1 package, check out Earthlink. Go to www.earthlink.net and sign up. The current promo is $29.95/mo for 6 months and then it goes to $43.95/mo after that. It's the same 15/1 speeds (I had them several years back when I just had internet through Brighthouse). I would recommend them again and know several people who have it and are pleased with the speeds.

But different DNS servers which he will hate....so plan to change them.
Wally173
Lithia, FL

Wally173 to bighorn1

to bighorn1
said by bighorn1:

said by Wally173:

I did not want to involve politics

It's about ethics. Would you sell Kia @ Ferrari price to your friend?
said by Brighthouse :

It is about what it means to be a service provider by asking a very simple question: If we saw friends instead of customers, wouldn’t that change everything?

»brighthouse.com/hello-fr ··· end.html

I thought you were referring to the country as a whole with that comment :P

You are fully entitled to your opinion about Bright House's pricing. Would I like it to be cheaper? Of course. However, I am a satisfied customer at the current rate I pay.

Like I said earlier I am just glad to able to access the internet at all
Wally173

Wally173 to bighorn1

to bighorn1
I don't really want to keep going back and forth about this man. Lets just have a couple beers and enjoy the NHL Stadium Series game at 10pm EST. The Sharks are my fav team

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

gigahurtz to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
I agree, Earthlinks DNS servers aren't the greatest. That's an easy fix though

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

3 recommendations

mixdup

Bright House DNS is pretty annoying, too. I hate, hate, hate DNS that intercepts invalid domains. That is not real DNS, and honestly not real internet service.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by mixdup:

Bright House DNS is pretty annoying, too. I hate, hate, hate DNS that intercepts invalid domains. That is not real DNS, and honestly not real internet service.

Like Rebus you know how to change DNS to something less offensive to your purest liking

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by mixdup:

Like Rebus you know how to change DNS to something less offensive to your purest liking

And I did. Just pointing out that Earthlink aren't the only ones with poor DNS support.

geo44
join:2013-03-20
Saint Petersburg, FL

geo44

I disagree that its poor DNS service. Its always worked fine for me.
Also , remember that most are the average joe using the internet. I can see where intercepting an invalid DNS would be helpful to those that may have written the URL wrong. It offers a search based on the URL which may help the average joe find the site they want. As for me, I dont need that feature, however it does not bother me.

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

5 recommendations

mixdup

That is broken DNS. It does not conform to the DNS standard. A DNS server should only respond with the content provided it from a domain's canonical nameserver. If they're mucking with it at that level, how do you know they're not redirecting to insert ads, track you, etc?