Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

[Classes] Druid healing is amazeballs

You know... I simply didn't have the time to dedicate to leveling up all of my healers as quickly as I wanted to. I finally maxed my druid. He was put on the back burner mostly because our guild already has kick-butt druid healers and my druid simply isn't needed. But wow... they pack a healing throughput punch. If you've been thinking about trying raid healing for the first time, I recommend starting with the druid.
vic6string
join:2014-11-19
Miami, FL

vic6string

Nice to know. My druid will EVENTUALLY be my next to 100 (maybe in a few weeks, maybe in a few months) but I plan on playing him as a healer. Melee dps is just too much of a pain right now, especially since I have grown accustomed to my hunter and not worrying about half the stuff bosses put out. I haven't healed with the druid (or at end game in general) since ICC so I am sure I have quite a bit of re-learning to do. I play primarily LFR, and from what I have seen it isn't too hard to get a pair of half way competent tanks, but you rarely have more than a couple of decent healers in the group (and often times semi-afk healers that just signed up as heals for the quicker queue times). It gets tiring blowing defensive cooldowns just to keep myself alive because the healers aren't paying attention (hell, I have even gone into LFR with my spirit beast a few times to self heal just to stay alive)

puppy
join:2010-01-28
San Diego, CA

puppy

I read something about druids having mana issues compared to other classes, have you experienced that? Maybe this is only in context of longer raid fights.

P Ness
You'Ve Forgotten 9-11 Already
Premium Member
join:2001-08-29
way way out

P Ness to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
said by Immer:

You know... I simply didn't have the time to dedicate to leveling up all of my healers as quickly as I wanted to. I finally maxed my druid. He was put on the back burner mostly because our guild already has kick-butt druid healers and my druid simply isn't needed. But wow... they pack a healing throughput punch. If you've been thinking about trying raid healing for the first time, I recommend starting with the druid.

they start out real strong, but then item scaling hurts them when you pop over the 660 item level and other classes catch up and pass them

they have just so much god damn overheal.

if it was not for tranq their numbers would be pathetic and even an almost dead full raid will still cause so much tranq overheal.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer to puppy

Premium Member

to puppy
If you heal like you did in SoO, you're mana goes *poof*.

I'm using germination talent (allows 2 rejuvs per target) and I have glyphed regrowth for the extra 40% crit with no HoT (which brings the crit chance to 100% and each crit procs living seed). I also glyphed the mushroom so I can place it where I want it.

My druid went into the healing proving grounds with lower gear than my monk did, and mana was non-issue for the druid and a nightmare for the monk.
Immer

Immer to P Ness

Premium Member

to P Ness
said by P Ness:

and other classes catch up and pass them

I think the problem is not with the druid scaling as much as it is with the speed of the healing of the other classes. If you are healing at-level with equally strong healers, the druids numbers will be pushed into overheal by the disc and paly bubbles, and potentially by the monk revival if timed just right by the monk. If you are raiding progression where the raid spends very little time "topped up" you'll see druids near the top of the meter, depending on positioning and how it serves the shaman's heals. If the healing druid feels they aren't having an impact, I recommend switching to boomie for an attempt to see how it impacts the rest of the healing team... It could just be that the fight (for your crew) doesn't need the safety net of druid healing.

P Ness
Premium Member
way way out

P Ness to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
said by Immer:

If you heal like you did in SoO, you're mana goes *poof*.

I'm using germination talent (allows 2 rejuvs per target) and I have glyphed regrowth for the extra 40% crit with no HoT (which brings the crit chance to 100% and each crit procs living seed). I also glyphed the mushroom so I can place it where I want it.

My druid went into the healing proving grounds with lower gear than my monk did, and mana was non-issue for the druid and a nightmare for the monk.

never germ anyone but tanks, even then its almost a waste of mana.
liquoranne
join:2009-01-14

liquoranne to Immer

to Immer
I would agree with Immer here. Druids are in a very good place healing wise on progression teams. With the 10% nerf to disc bubbles coming you should see your overheal drop slightly (perhaps).

As far as healing core teams are concerned, i think every class is at a pretty good place (shamans seem the lower end though). We run hpal, monk, druid, sham, disc which gives us a pretty nice balance depending on the fight some are over others.

Now i will admit, i ran a pug with a mist monk and holy jesus this person put me to shame. My 43k hps was respectable for my gear level and this monk pulled almost 59k. Insane...
djlar
join:2009-04-23

djlar

well my barely 640 druid was doing 20-30K on Heroic HM last night, (yeah IDK how I got the invite) we did kill 5 bosses, not bad, the 680 druid of course 40K+, with 2 spirit i685 trinkets and stuff

I pretty much don't use wild growth 'cause it eats mana like candy, stick with rejuvs, shroom, regrowths and healing touches, keep bloom on tank and use CDs when necessary (pulled almost 40K on brackenspore LOL)

P Ness
Premium Member
way way out

P Ness to liquoranne

Premium Member

to liquoranne
said by liquoranne:

I would agree with Immer here. Druids are in a very good place healing wise on progression teams. With the 10% nerf to disc bubbles coming you should see your overheal drop slightly (perhaps).

As far as healing core teams are concerned, i think every class is at a pretty good place (shamans seem the lower end though). We run hpal, monk, druid, sham, disc which gives us a pretty nice balance depending on the fight some are over others.

Now i will admit, i ran a pug with a mist monk and holy jesus this person put me to shame. My 43k hps was respectable for my gear level and this monk pulled almost 59k. Insane...

monks are the king of padding the meters because all their big heals are so fast between uplift and revival they always send my overheal into crazy town.

nothing like starting a tranq, it's shouted, posted in raid chat and /s "XXXX is casting Tranqulity"...only to have the monk pop revival and uplift after the first tick.

they are finally a good healer but I think a tad over rated

I have to say, outside of some problems with holy priest all the healers are quite balanced. Meters give an incorrect impression of Disc Priest and Holy Pallies because of absorbs they are not as strong as the meters would give them credit for
djlar
join:2009-04-23

djlar

Don't forget mage's amplify magic during tranq
liquoranne

liquoranne to P Ness

to P Ness
I agree, HPS isnt the same as DPS because there are more things to consider. My judgement comes on ease of encounter in terms of deaths.

I did have a question for you healers, are you passing on tier for dps? I know i will be as the set bonus is complete garbage for Hpal. The stats are nice but i feel that my throughput is ahead (if we are talking equivalent terms) of our DPS currently. Quicker kills result in higher HPS, more or less, so im hoping my sacrifice makes it easier on myself in the near term. Thoughts?

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

I'm not in a hurry to get tier gear, I'm relying mostly on my extra rolls for those.

I think this answer will depend greatly on the overall skill of the raiding group. If mechanics are followed, then I'd lean toward higher dps makes for an easier raid. However, if there are enough who struggle with the mechanics, higher healing throughput can sometimes save the sub10% wipe.

qualitybobby
Premium Member
join:2009-12-29
Middleville, NY

qualitybobby

Premium Member

No dps set bonus cures stupid. If your dps is standing in crap, they shoulnd't be a loot priority.
liquoranne

liquoranne

I agree. Our issue isnt primarily people dieing, its just low dps period. I compare our total DPS with other guilds of the same progression level (not very far) and it seems rather low. Im hoping the tier bonus's help that...Hopefully it works out.

qualitybobby
Premium Member
Middleville, NY

qualitybobby

Premium Member

Comparing DPS with similarly progressed guilds can be misleading. You would do better to compare with similarly GEARED guilds. Your guys could be doing great for their ilvl, or really, really bad for their ilvl.
liquoranne

liquoranne

Well thats basically what i look at, to be honest we are probably higher ilvl than most comparably progressed guilds.

qualitybobby
Premium Member
Middleville, NY

qualitybobby

Premium Member

Ahh, then you are having dps issues if you are low. Using logs will be the most help for you. Have class leaders or officers go over logs to see who is underperforming and why. Your rogues, for example. If combat, is slice and dice falling off? Are they using Killing spree and adrenaline rush on cooldown? Revealing strike uptime? Those things make a big difference.

Carpie
join:2012-10-19
united state

Carpie to Immer

to Immer
I highly recommend the warcraftlogs search feature here. You can restrict your search by ilvl range, time of fight, group size - not only down to # of healers, # of tanks, # of melee dps, and # of ranged dps, but also all the way down to class and spec. So you can basically find an exact replica of your raid comp on the same boss with a similar ilvl that killed the boss in the same amount of time. It's pretty amazing.