dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Jito463
join:2008-05-09

Jito463

[Equipment] Recommended modem for Windstream 24Mb service?

I'm considering right now whether to get 12Mb (which means I can use my current Netgear modem) or 24Mb, which from the sounds of it would require a service call by a Windstream tech and the use of their modem (which also now entails the $6.99/mo leasing fee). What I'd prefer to do, is buy my own modem for the 24Mb service and hook it up myself. I've been a computer tech for well over 20 years, so installation won't be an issue for me, what I'm unsure of is what will be compatible. As I doubt Windstream will recommend one to me (since then they can't ding me for the monthly lease fee), I'm asking here.

Alternatively, I may go ahead and get the 12Mb now, and upgrade to 24Mb later. Decisions, decisions. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mojorhino
join:2007-09-24
Bartlesville, OK

mojorhino

I bet the 24 meg servcie uses a bonded modem & the 12 meg uses a regular (non bonded) modem. So if you can figure how to configure one then just buy a bonded modem & use it.
Jito463

Jito463

Well, yes, it does use a bonded modem (hence why my modem won't work). I was simply asking for recommendations on which bonded modem would work best for Windstream's service.

mojorhino
Bartlesville, OK

mojorhino

I would say go with a Comtrend because the GUI on it is very similar to the ones Windstream uses.
Jito463

Jito463

Is there a specific model? I was hoping for a bit more detail. I appreciate the response, but I already saw the comment about the Comtrend in another post, I simply couldn't locate more info on what model they were referring to.

*EDIT*
Well, I was finally able to pull up their website (wasn't working for me before), and it looks like their only model may be the 5631/5631e, if I'm reading it correctly. I presume that's the one to which you refer?

mojorhino
Bartlesville, OK

mojorhino

I was initially going to make a specific recommendation however noticed that it was only Wireless G, so if I find something I will post it
Jito463

Jito463

I just edited my post, and it seems I was finally able to pull up the Comtrend website and view their modems. I think I see the one to which you refer.

mojorhino
Bartlesville, OK

mojorhino

Without knowing all the facts here is my initial suggestion because it supports ADSL2+ in both ATM/PTM modes and VDSL2 PTM

»www.comtrend.com/int/dba ··· 111u.pdf
Jito463

Jito463

Obviously I'm looking at the wrong part of their website, then. Thanks for the direct link, I'll check it out.
PariahInIowa
join:2011-07-14

PariahInIowa to Jito463

to Jito463
If you do pull the trigger on the modem, please report back with your results. It seems like a lot of folks believe that leasing is the only option for bonded lines.

mark40511
join:2004-10-12
Lexington, KY

mark40511

I wish there was a way to see how much data you're using. Not that it matters with Windstream, but back when I had 12 megs, I had a Netgear router which you could see the usage.......On this Comtrend that I have from Windstream, I don't think you can.....
Jito463

Jito463 to PariahInIowa

to PariahInIowa
Since it seems I need to do a bit more research on this, I've decided to go with 12Mb for now, and decide on upgrading later. Thanks for the responses, though. It gives me an idea where to start my research.
Tiroler
join:2015-03-02
Akron, PA

Tiroler to Jito463

to Jito463
I just upgraded to Windstream's bonded VDSL. The modem supplied is the Sagecom 4320

It is the ONLY modem available through Windstream (i just got off the phone with them because the new one they installed at upgrade (12->24) appears seriously faulty) and it is only available as an Equipment Rental.

My interest here is because the 4320 will NOT do port-forwarding per their documentation and how the UI wants it (this is *not* rocket science) and it refuses to open the specific port. confirmed this with multiple computers and operating systems (win & Linux)

While I do not have a complete answer for you, I am about to pull the trigger on my own modem *IF* the Sagecom cannot be put into Bridge mode (where my Netgear D6200 will pull IP via it's WAN port). If I end up using the sagecom in bridge mode and my D6200 as the router, I will be happy as it handles gigabit and 2.4 + 5 Ghz wifi (4 actual wifi SSIDs)

If it cannot go into bridge mode (yes, the techs had trouble the first time around) and as soon as I can confirm what Profile(s) are/aren't needed, I'm probably going to get the Comtrend listed above.

The current Sagecom lists the following as enabled: 8a,8b, 8c, 8d, 12a, 12b, 17a, 30a,

secondary settings enabled (not sure what is being used yet): G.dmt, G.lite, T1.413, ADSL, AnnexL, ADSL2+, VDSL2.

Phone (voice) line is set for the inner pair.

Bitswap enabled.

US0 also enabled.

I will report back. If anyone can say what is or is not needed, please do so. It will make pulling the trigger easier.

mojorhino
Bartlesville, OK

1 edit

mojorhino

I made up some bridge instructions for that modem however I have not been able to test them out.
Here they are if you want to try them
»www.vendopedia.com/index ··· @st_4320

I am pretty sure that for steps 4 & 5, you will actually use one or the other, not both
Tiroler
join:2015-03-02
Akron, PA

Tiroler

Thank you! There is a service call already in the works for them to come out (I got the call after I posted) and they want to see what happened.. I will show it to them and see if we can finally make it work.

If they brick it, they'll replace it