vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned) to SueS

to SueS

Re: Photograph or Digital Art?

said by SueS:

said by vaxvms:

So a perfectly composed and snapped photograph is not digital art? Is an HDR image digital art - is combining multiple images together heavy adjustments?

I am easily confused.

First question, I call it art, but not digital art.
Second question, yes HDR is digital art.
Third question, if done in a way that it looks realistic, I would call it art, but not digital art.

But it is digital. It's composed of a series of ones and zeros. So it's digital and it's art, hence digital art...

SueS
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO

SueS to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:

Vivian Maier's photographs are considered art and they are NOT heavily edited or processed... The camera is the tool, the medium much like oil and canvas are to the painter.

I consider her work as art, but not digital art. To me digital art is heavily processed work.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

1 recommendation

vaxvms to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
said by jaykaykay:

most would say that their work is art, regardless of how it is presented.

Does that mean selfies posted on Facebook are art?

SueS
Premium Member
Macon, MO

SueS to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:

said by SueS:

said by vaxvms:

So a perfectly composed and snapped photograph is not digital art? Is an HDR image digital art - is combining multiple images together heavy adjustments?

I am easily confused.

First question, I call it art, but not digital art.
Second question, yes HDR is digital art.
Third question, if done in a way that it looks realistic, I would call it art, but not digital art.

But it is digital. It's composed of a series of ones and zeros. So it's digital and it's art, hence digital art...

Then what is a photograph or snapshot, or is there no such thing?
vue666 (banned)

2 edits

vue666 (banned) to SueS

to SueS
said by SueS:

said by vue666:

Vivian Maier's photographs are considered art and they are NOT heavily edited or processed... The camera is the tool, the medium much like oil and canvas are to the painter.

I consider her work as art, but not digital art. To me digital art is heavily processed work.

Correct, it's analogue art because it's an analogue photograph. Analogue photos are analogue art. Digital photos are digital art. If she lived today and was using a DSLR her photographs would be digital and considered art. Hence digital art. Today's cameras are mini computers much like an or Ipod or MP3 player is.
vue666

vue666 (banned)

Snapshot is more or less just blindly or randomly taking photos with no thought to subject matter or composition. And little thought to the camera's settings.

When shooting a photograph some thought should be given to the subject matter, composition, cropping in the camera, lighting, depth of field and the camera (iso, aperture, shutter speed).

SueS
Premium Member
Macon, MO

SueS to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
said by jaykaykay:

Here is an interesting read on somewhat the same topic, »www.huffingtonpost.com/m ··· 646.html.

That was an interesting read, thanks!
SueS

SueS to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:

Snapshot is more or less just blindly or randomly taking photos with no thought to subject matter or composition. And little thought to the camera's settings.

When shooting a photograph some thought should be given to the subject matter, composition, cropping in the camera, lighting, depth of field and the camera (iso, aperture, shutter speed).

Then it is a photograph before heavy processing when it then is digital art?
SueS

1 recommendation

SueS

Premium Member

This has been an interesting thread, thanks to all who shared their views.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to SueS

to SueS
Kindly stop it. As I said BEFORE IMHO photography is art. So digital photography is a form of digital art as is 3D modeling/rendering, digital painting...

You do realize that when you shoot your photos in the JPG format, your camera does most of the processing for you. it is digitally processed by your camera. When you shoot in RAW you digitally process your file using Lightroom, Photoshop, etc. So MOST photos straight from the camera are digitally processed in some way....

SueS
Premium Member
Macon, MO

1 recommendation

SueS

Premium Member

said by vue666:

Kindly stop it. As I said BEFORE IMHO photography is art. So digital photography is a form of digital art as is 3D modeling/rendering, digital painting...

You do realize that when you shoot your photos in the JPG format, your camera does most of the processing for you. it is digitally processed by your camera. When you shoot in RAW you digitally process your file using Lightroom, Photoshop, etc. So MOST photos straight from the camera are digitally processed in some way....

I shoot raw.

I didn't start this thread to change anyone's mind, I was only interested in what others thought. With that in mind I have not changed my mind, so we will agree to disagree. I appreciate hearing your view!

MHHMHH79
Premium Member
join:2014-08-23
Kew Gardens, NY

2 recommendations

MHHMHH79

Premium Member

For me it's very simple: whenever you use a camera, you take a photograph, regardless of how you may then define the image, or what your intention was when you took it.

SueS
Premium Member
Macon, MO

1 edit

SueS

Premium Member

I take either photographs or snapshots with my digital camera.

I make digital art for the artify thread!

Thanks for sharing your view!
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to SueS

to SueS
SueS you seem to have difficulty grasping that a photo or image can be two things. For example a photo can be HDR and it can also be a landscape.
vue666

vue666 (banned) to vaxvms

to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

If I were to scan a 35mm negative and save it to a file, would that transform the photo into digital art? It's now a binary file just like the photo I shot with a digital camera.

From the digital art wiki, yes it would. I added the emphasis bolding...
quote:
Digital art can be purely computer-generated (such as fractals and algorithmic art) or taken from other sources, such as a scanned photograph or an image drawn using vector graphics software using a mouse or graphics tablet

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Di ··· ital_art

vue666

1 recommendation

vue666 (banned) to SueS

to SueS
Click for full size
The Prowler
SueS - you originally posted the following as a comment on my photo here »vue666 picture 'Uniacke Estate Museum Park

Mount..'
quote:
Not knowing your intent, I'm guessing this is intended to be digital art and not realistic, because I see shades of red, shades of green, and shades of blue in the first tree trunk. I see purple in the trunk of another tree. It would be helpful for those viewing if it were labeled digital art, if that is the intent.

Attached is a digital art piece I created "The Prowler". This was not created from photographs. It is it not both realistic (at least IMHO) and digital art?

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium Member
join:2005-05-21
Winnipeg, MB

2 recommendations

rcroning

Premium Member

WOW!! That is a great image! Well done!!

SueS
Premium Member
Macon, MO

SueS to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:

SueS - you originally posted the following as a comment on my photo here »vue666 picture 'Uniacke Estate Museum Park

Mount..'

quote:
Not knowing your intent, I'm guessing this is intended to be digital art and not realistic, because I see shades of red, shades of green, and shades of blue in the first tree trunk. I see purple in the trunk of another tree. It would be helpful for those viewing if it were labeled digital art, if that is the intent.

Attached is a digital art piece I created "The Prowler". This was not created from photographs. It is it not both realistic (at least IMHO) and digital art?

Yes I agree that you can make digital art with software without using a camera.

It does not look to me like it came from a camera, and does look like digital art, if I understand your question.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

But it is an artistic attempt to recreate realism and not a cartoon or fantasy image... Hence when I posted my image to a couple of the online art galleries and forums it is often categorized as Realism->Landscape->Wildlife..

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms to SueS

Premium Member

to SueS
SueS See Profile, you keep using the word snapshot. Is there a difference between a snapshot and a photograph? Are snapshots both digital and non-digital?
vaxvms

vaxvms to SueS

Premium Member

to SueS
If I were to get a personalized letter from someone I have great respect for and put it in a frame and hang it on a wall would that letter be art?

If I took a photo of that same letter and posted it on the 'net would that make it digital art? Would inverting the colors in the digital image, heavy editing, make the photograph of that letter digital art? If not, why not?
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to rcroning

to rcroning
said by rcroning:

WOW!! That is a great image! Well done!!

Thanks.... I actually enjoy doing 3D modeling/rendering and digital painting more than photography. But 3D modeling/rendering is so labor intensive. The image above took close to two weeks to create...
vue666

to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

If I were to get a personalized letter from someone I have great respect for and put it in a frame and hang it on a wall would that letter be art?

If I took a photo of that same letter and posted it on the 'net would that make it digital art? Would inverting the colors in the digital image, heavy editing, make the photograph of that letter digital art? If not, why not?

That's the thing what you call art & what I call art could differ greatly. Music is art and what I consider to be good music you may call noise. Art is very subjective and very much a personal thing.

Some people are big fans of abstract paintings and abstract photographs, while other people (even other artists) may see no value in the painting or photograph....
vue666

to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

SueS See Profile, you keep using the word snapshot. Is there a difference between a snapshot and a photograph? Are snapshots both digital and non-digital?

As I've repeated a few times over and over in this thread...Vivian Maier's photos were originally considered snapshots but are now considered art. So what is originally taken as a snapshot could latter be considered to be art...

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

1 recommendation

jaykaykay to vaxvms

MVM

to vaxvms
To thodse who post them, I presume so, but I really don't know. I have never taken nor posted a selfie on Facebook or any other place. You'd have to ask those who do.
jaykaykay

2 recommendations

jaykaykay to SueS

MVM

to SueS
You are welcome.

SueS
Premium Member
Macon, MO

1 edit

SueS to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:

SueS you seem to have difficulty grasping that a photo or image can be two things. For example a photo can be HDR and it can also be a landscape.

Why does the gallery here have a category for digital art?
Why does the Fred Miranda forum have a forum just for digital art?

»/showp ··· 0470&1=1, if you were to post this in the landscape forum at Fred Miranda, someone would mention that it would be best to post it in the digital arts forum
SueS

SueS to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:

But it is an artistic attempt to recreate realism and not a cartoon or fantasy image... Hence when I posted my image to a couple of the online art galleries and forums it is often categorized as Realism->Landscape->Wildlife..

Look it is very nice work, you have a talent, but the picture does not look like anything from a camera, or does not look like a photograph.
SueS

SueS to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

Yes, a snapshot is just a quick snap, while a photograph has been thought out before pressing the shutter.
SueS

SueS to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
The whole point of this thread is not to discuss what and when someone thinks something is art.

I said that a photograph or snapshot is what comes from the camera, and that we make it digital art at a later time with heavy processing.