spc
Search similar:

uniqs
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to Harleyguy3

to Harleyguy3

Re: [Internet] How to Convince Bell to Upgrade Internet Service?

said by Harleyguy3:

Bottom line : No matter how much they fix it, its still 5km to the CO. Don't expect miracles

Actually I believe he's 9 kms from the CO. his only hope is FTTH unfortunately
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

said by btech805:

said by Harleyguy3:

Bottom line : No matter how much they fix it, its still 5km to the CO. Don't expect miracles

These distances are line distances:

4.9 KM from a 7330 (that doesn't service my line run unfortuantely). Curiously, the wires run directly past it straight to the CO (reference the pinpoints on the maps below)

I am 9.4 KM from the CO.

DSL stops about 2 KM away,

Cogeco Cable stops 1.4 KM away.

Around here, they haven't yet done FTTH for Bell, but FTT-Pole is common.... minus my line run.

NRTC is retrofitting FTTH to some areas within about 8 KM from me, but after speaking with one of their senior managers, they will not be expanding to me within the next 5 years. To the mangers credit, she did push very hard for my area.

There at 16 houses affected on my side of the highway, and another 25 (approximate - an eventual task I have is to update everyone who is affected in my area as part of my lobbying) that are not serviced by Bell (but have Cogeco).

---------

As a side note, I got a phone call last week from my MP, Cheryl Gallant, who wanted to know more information about my neighbourhood, and the shortfalls in service (I did some letter writing to her, and also have been in contact with the Industry Minister's office).

Our neighbourhood is considered "served" in terms of Broadband funding... there is a long list of companies that serve our area (except several of them actually do not provide service, and others, maybe a few houses in our hex-id area).

After complaining to the Industry Minister regarding our area, and based not he speed tests I provided his office, I received his emailed assurances that we would qualify. However, the broadband map hasn't been updated, so I doubt many providers are even aware we could qualify.

The challenge is now getting a company to commit to the work.... even with the 50% funding reimbursement from the Federal Government.... it is hard to contact anyone in Bell or Cogeco with authority, or interest in communicating regarding this matter.

If Bell updated their services to my line run, I estimate that they would have the potential for maybe 50 new customers over say 6 KM of fibre..... my area isn't necessarily ultra low density. I do want to update my figures accordingly... as I am thinking that I am battling a perception issue for my area.

Although who knows... when the snow thaws, I might see crews all around?

NRTC was the most open to communication, but my request was denied as my neighbourhood does not fall into their 5 year expansion plan (even with the 50% reimbursement for funding).

Anyways, here is a map I have slowly been working on for my area as part of my letter writing and lobbying campaign. My goal is to improve the map further to cover more of Airport road and Sylvan Drive on an address by address basis:

»www.google.com/maps/d/ed ··· _jWe52zs

(BTW, if someone could let me know the link is public, that would be great! I have also added pictures of some of the areas as pinpoints, however for some reason they are showing just Black).

I am getting progress in terms of attention to our area from Government through my letter writing and information providing. However, unfortunately there has been no interest from service providers in the provision of wireline.

The neighbourhood choices are limited to Bell Turbo hub, and Xplornet Satellite. We have used both, and right now run 3 Turbo Hub sim cards swapping them out. Satellite is too high a latency for VPN work.

Xplornet Wireless will not reach my area, and Rogers Rocket hubs are worse reception than Bell.

Ryan

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to btech805

Premium Member

to btech805
said by btech805:

9km away in a rural area? Pfft. I'm 5km away and I live in town.
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

1 edit

jumpingryan

said by Gone:

said by btech805:

I don't quite consider myself rural to be honest.

There are people in town who have 2 acre lots (I only have 1 acre). I am just on a shit line run.... one that Bell hasn't felt the need to upgrade yet, and Cogeco doesn't want to come here either.

Around here, it used to be 2 acres minimum for septic, and now it is down to just over 1 acre for septic. Those on city water and sewer are furthermore lucky as the whole town is not metered for water/server.

My one buddy, much farther out is on FTTN with 15/10 service.... lot size of 41 acres.

It goes to show how messed up the companies can be for allocation of wireline. 1.4 KM from me there is literally a subdivision of 1 to 2 acre lots, not served at all by Bell (Sylan drive is not served by Bell, and is pretty much a large lot subdivision).

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by btech805:

There are people in Ottawa, not rural but city, that are 10km so it all depends on how the line is run.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Yeah, but Fort Erie isn't exactly a big city. My line loops back and around all over the place before it even reaches the OPI I'm connected to, let alone the CO.
vincom
join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON

vincom to dawger11

to dawger11
How to Convince Bell to Upgrade Internet Service?

make them an offer they cant refuse!
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

said by vincom:

LOL...

Supposedly Telus did not apply for a single dollar of Industry Canada's program that gives 50% of the costs of serviing communities that are "underserved". (I am refering to out west).

It is remeinisant of the US situation where companies would prefer users not to have access, and not upgrade them.

In some ways, that sort of action may force the hand of the CRTC and particularly the Industyr Minister.... I have long argued that if a company can provide voice service to an address over landline, the companies should be giving the option to providing data (internet).

Technically the infastrure is already there.... the lines and/or access rights.

Telus and other companies (who have a disinterest in the provsion of services) may find their hands forced in the near future... by near I mean the next 10 to 15 years.
Hot Summer
join:2014-11-17
Canada

Hot Summer to vincom

to vincom
After that last CRTC ruling, he may not have too...
said by vincom:

Election coming, and internet is a bit like "gun control";
a hot button issue that can get you into 3rd party status.

Expect the Harper crowd to lean hard on the CRTC to light
a fire under anyone who depends on gov't for funding or
a regulatory environment to do business.
DPyro
join:2009-07-24

DPyro to dawger11

to dawger11
I know what you mean. Thankfully I'll have an alternative soon.