uniqs
schmerold
Premium Member
join:2008-08-11
Saint Louis, MO

schmerold

Premium Member

[Cable] Three Charter DCX3220e cable boxes in a closet

My new client has three DCX3220e cable boxes in a closet, there is a coax cable running to each of their offices. The problem is how can they change the channel from their office, eliminating the run to the back room.

My initial thought is to have them replace the cable boxes with a Tivo Roamio and three minis, then I got to thinking there must be a better way.

Ideas?

Not sure if it makes a difference, but each office has a Samsung un55h6350afxza H6350 Smart TV.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

1 edit

Mr Matt

said by schmerold:

The problem is how can they change the channel from their office, eliminating the run to the back room.

There are wireless remote extenders that can solve your problem. The infrared receiver with the (PHOTOCELL) is located on the client's desk and the transmitter emitter with the (LED) located in front of the DCX3220. There are two features necessary to insure these wireless remote repeaters do not interfere with one another. It must be possible to set a different code for each repeater pair. Each set must include a wired infrared sender that can be placed right over the DCX3220 infrared sensor to avoid the other boxes seeing the signal for another box. The alternate solution is to position the infrared transmitter LED so only the box it is controlling can see the LED on the transmitter. Do not stack the boxes to avoid overheating. The client points the remote at the infrared receiver and selects the function on the box.

Edit:
Here is a good place to start: »www.smarthome.com/av-wir ··· html?p=1
schmerold
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

schmerold

Premium Member

Thank you. I am going to give the Next Generation Remote Control Extender a shot and offer the Tivo as an upgrade. I also considered the Logitech Harmony. I suppose we could also move the cable boxes into the offices behind the wall-mounted tv, not sure that would offer the "Look" they have in mind

xirian
Premium Member
join:2003-01-26
Beacon, NY

xirian to schmerold

Premium Member

to schmerold
I know this thread is old but I figured I'd point out in case anyone searches: the box has an ir port on the back. See the diagram attached.
schmerold
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

schmerold

Premium Member

So, we could use an out of sight ir cable to control each box separately, thanks for pointing that out. I ended up recommending that our client purchase a TiVo Roamio and three TiVo Mini units.

They didn't need all that functionality, since each tv stays on one channel (FoxNews or CNN) all day. We turned off units 1&2, programmed 3, turned off 3, programmed 2, then 1 to accomplish what needed to be done.

Xirian, thanks for the feedback.

xirian
Premium Member
join:2003-01-26
Beacon, NY

xirian to schmerold

Premium Member

to schmerold
You're welcome

If you ever need it in the future, monoprice has an adapter to send IR over hdmi: »www.monoprice.com/Produc ··· format=2

Reallystoke
@charter.com

Reallystoke

Anon

if using a wired ir extender will it need to be programmed with a specific code or is it just transferring the signal from the remote. I tried using the ir extender that came with my TV but doesn't seem to work by just plugging it into the DCX.
Expand your moderator at work