All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Mac Write
join:2004-10-13
New Westminster, BC

Mac Write

Telus Tech Support=useless! and wants to charge me for support!

less then a week with Telus and I they want to charge me for support WTF?

I am only getting 54mbps on the 100mbps connection and they said that the first step to all tech support is to reset the router to factory defaults!!

Talk about useless tech support.

They also said the only other solution is for me to pay to have a tech come to look at the modem!

I got my service installed on Thursday and this slow speed has been like this since Friday! Just outraged!!!
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

1 recommendation

btech805

If you're getting 54mbps exactly you probably have a wireless G card. You will never see 100mbps on that device or any device with wireless G. 100mbps is best served for wired and wireless AC applications.

mm999
@transcanada.com

mm999 to Mac Write

Anon

to Mac Write
I had exactly the same problem. The tech had to call the operations team and to the profile or something. They made the change and reset the router then all good.
AJ102
join:2005-03-22
Vancouver, BC

AJ102 to Mac Write

to Mac Write
You aren't going to figure it out by doing high-level speed tests. You need to take a closer look at your modem stats. It depends on your model, but it may be called "Line Rate" and "Attainable Line Rate" under xDSL stats. That tells you what the actual data rate is on your line currently, and what the attainable rate is based on the quality of connection. Keep in mind that this includes 25 mbps for Optik TV if you have it. If your Line Rate is too low and your Attainable Line Rate is much higher, then Telus has the wrong profile at their end. If it's low, but pretty close to the Attainable Line Rate, then either something is physically wrong with your line, or you're just too far from the neighbourhood node.
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

1 recommendation

prairiesky to btech805

to btech805
said by btech805:

If you're getting 54mbps exactly you probably have a wireless G card. You will never see 100mbps on that device or any device with wireless G. 100mbps is best served for wired and wireless AC applications.

you'll never actually see 54mbps on a Wireless G card on a speed test. Unless he's looking at the NIC connection rates, then it would show 54. It is a suspicious number, I agree.....

plug your computer directly into your modem and test.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to Mac Write

to Mac Write
I used to struggle quite a bit with Telus Tech Support. When I was in Edmonton things would always go wrong when I tried to upgrade to a new faster plan. I think the last one was 15mbps to 25mbps. I wasn't getting the speeds. They sent over a tech, he checked the line, said my line was great, and left. Problem Not resolved. Had to call in again, and go through the whole turn it off/on retoutine and spend hours on it. They finally send over a 2nd tech. Same thing. Checked the line and left. Had to go through the whole thing again. 3rd tech tried the same thing and I finally put my foot down. If the line is fine then what is causing the problem? He tried to get out of it so bad so I kept asking questions. Did you try this or that. Then he came up with some B.S. excuse that the C.O. was closed the day. I asked him to get me in touch with a supervisor (I used to work in a call center, this often does wonders). Later in the day he told me he got into the C.O. and put me on a different port. Problem solved. Something was wrong with the port I was on.

It's like pulling teeth. I spent about 6 to 8 hours trying to get it resolved. They gave me a free month.

As for your problem. I believe Telus charges a fee if they have to come out and it ends up being your fault. They don't charge a fee if it's their fault (ie they won't want to send a tech out if it's something stupid like a poorly configured router).
Symtex
join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

said by zod5000:

I used to struggle quite a bit with Telus Tech Support. When I was in Edmonton things would always go wrong when I tried to upgrade to a new faster plan. I think the last one was 15mbps to 25mbps. I wasn't getting the speeds. They sent over a tech, he checked the line, said my line was great, and left. Problem Not resolved. Had to call in again, and go through the whole turn it off/on retoutine and spend hours on it. They finally send over a 2nd tech. Same thing. Checked the line and left. Had to go through the whole thing again. 3rd tech tried the same thing and I finally put my foot down. If the line is fine then what is causing the problem? He tried to get out of it so bad so I kept asking questions. Did you try this or that. Then he came up with some B.S. excuse that the C.O. was closed the day. I asked him to get me in touch with a supervisor (I used to work in a call center, this often does wonders). Later in the day he told me he got into the C.O. and put me on a different port. Problem solved. Something was wrong with the port I was on.

It's like pulling teeth. I spent about 6 to 8 hours trying to get it resolved. They gave me a free month.

As for your problem. I believe Telus charges a fee if they have to come out and it ends up being your fault. They don't charge a fee if it's their fault (ie they won't want to send a tech out if it's something stupid like a poorly configured router).

I can guarantee that I'm 96% sure that it has nothing to do with the port but the wrong QoS applied to your account. Unfortunately, there is a lot of people that don't understand the simplest concept. The reason it work on another port, is that someone had to provision that new port and the right policies and profile were applied. What a waste of time for you and TELUS. This is the kind of story I hate to read and happen way too often.
Mac Write
New Westminster, BC

Mac Write to btech805

to btech805
I have never had 802.11g. I am running on 5Ghz 802.11n. I tried it via the Telus WiFi (which was actually slower) default config and was slower as well.
twixt
join:2004-06-27
North Vancouver, BC

1 recommendation

twixt

said by Mac Write:

I have never had 802.11g. I am running on 5Ghz 802.11n. I tried it via the Telus WiFi (which was actually slower) default config and was slower as well.

There is no possible way to accurately test your datarate using wireless. The datarate varies depending upon your wireless signal strength. This happens completely automatically - and is utterly out of your control.

-

Connect wired. Period. Paragraph. Do your testing while wired. It's the only way to tell what's actually going on.

Once you know your actual datarate - then if you have poor throughput you can complain. Until then, you (and everybody else who does their throughput testing wirelessly) is talking through their hat.

Sorry, just the way the laws of physics work.
Mac Write
New Westminster, BC

Mac Write

Well my "Wireless" data rate right this second is 246mbps. since I have a rMBP it's impossible to hard wire to the router.

Helios
Premium Member
join:2013-11-04
Kitimat, BC

Helios

Premium Member

As stated; There is no methodology of troubleshooting networks by using a wireless connection. You will never achieve port speed over WiFi.
twixt
North Vancouver, BC

3 recommendations

twixt to Mac Write

to Mac Write
OK, here's the problem. The "number" that shows on a wireless connection is commonly the maximum rate the connection will achieve if the moon is blue, you're standing on one foot naked while holding the MBP horizontally at 2.3 degrees off the horizontal plane - with the cover at exactly 123 degrees from vertical. Or other similar low-probability nonsense.

-

The true datarate will be a function of the signal strength, the amount of interference from other wireless connections in your area, and the demand for bandwidth.

To save power, the amount of bandwidth actually used between the MPB and the Router is automatically varied to use a lower amount of bandwidth when the demand is less - and again this happens completely automatically.

Because the user screams bloody blue murder when the true datarate is actually shown - the "number" commonly reflects the "delusional" connection value when everything is "perfect". This is very very very common with wireless adapters.

Since you can't connect wired, you are going to have to depend upon the connect-rate-info displayed on the T2200H's connect screen. This should show you the "negotiated" rate - which is the lower number - and is the one imposed by your particular profile.

Note: For your "negotiated" rate to be higher than 50MB/s - you must have both ADSL lines plugged in and active. For 100MB Service - you must have both ADSL lines negotiated at 50MB/s and the "bonding" must be active. This should all be shown on the Connection Status Screen for the T2200H - which you will have to log into manually - rather than your AirPort - in order to see the values.

If the "negotiated" values are both 25MB/s rather than 50MB/s, then Telus has either provisioned your ADSL ports (note: plural) incorrectly - giving you bonded 25 for 50 - or your attainable line-rate is too low to obtain paired 50MB/s service. You can verify which of these conditions is true by checking the "attainable" datarate values on the Connection Status Page.

If your "attainable" datarates are comfortably above 50MB/s, then your ADSL port profiles at the RDU are wrong - and Telus needs to fix this. If your "attainable" datarates are too low - the two (2) copper line pairs serving your T2200H simply do not have the capacity to support paired-50MB/s service - and paired-25MB/s service is the best you can do.

If you only have one of the two ADSL ports active (because either you only have one copper pair activated, there is only one of the two necessary ADSL ports active, or there is a problem with one of the two necessary line-pairs required to support 100MB/s service - this will require further investigation to determine what is causing the deficiency and what is required to rectify the problem.

The T2200H cannot provide 100MB/s service without two (2) fully-functional properly-provisioned 50MB/s Ports at your local RDU - connected to your T2200H through two (2) fully-functional phone lines.
Mac Write
New Westminster, BC

Mac Write

When the tech was here, I was getting good speed using my rMBP. It only changed the day after. I checked the router and both lines are
Line 1:

Line Rate: 67266 Kbps 14815 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate: 98980 Kbps 48830 Kbps
SNR: 9 dB 18 dB
Attenuation: (DS1)8.1, (DS2)18.9, (DS3)31.2 dB (US1)4.0, (US2)16.8, (US3)25.0 dB
Power: 9.1 dBm -7.3 dBm

Line 2:

Line Rate: 64664 Kbps 21024 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate: 92197 Kbps 46678 Kbps
SNR: 9 dB 10 dB
Attenuation: (DS1)9.2, (DS2)20.3, (DS3)32.6 dB (US1)4.1, (US2)16.9, (US3)24.4 dB
Power: 7.4 dBm -9.2 dBm
twixt
North Vancouver, BC

2 edits

1 recommendation

twixt

said by Mac Write:

When the tech was here, I was getting good speed using my rMBP. It only changed the day after. I checked the router and both lines are
Line 1:

Line Rate: 67266 Kbps 14815 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate: 98980 Kbps 48830 Kbps
SNR: 9 dB 18 dB
Attenuation: (DS1)8.1, (DS2)18.9, (DS3)31.2 dB (US1)4.0, (US2)16.8, (US3)25.0 dB
Power: 9.1 dBm -7.3 dBm

Line 2:

Line Rate: 64664 Kbps 21024 Kbps
Attainable Line Rate: 92197 Kbps 46678 Kbps
SNR: 9 dB 10 dB
Attenuation: (DS1)9.2, (DS2)20.3, (DS3)32.6 dB (US1)4.1, (US2)16.9, (US3)24.4 dB
Power: 7.4 dBm -9.2 dBm

Your numbers indicate that 100MB service is available. As long as bonding is properly activated, your T2200H should easily provide the specified datarate.

Your speedtest values are being limited by something other than the T2200H. As noted, wireless datarate values are variable for many different reasons - many of which are out of your control.

-

If things changed after-the-fact as you describe - then the highest probability is there is nothing Telus-related which is causing the problem.

Something changed either on your system, your AirPort or in your area - which is causing your wireless datarate to be throttled.

The usual reason for sudden drops in wireless datarate is:

1. The datarate for wireless is shared amongst all connected devices. It is not like wired - which is switched. And again, your "delusional" datarate value returned by the wireless card in your MBP does not reflect this. Thus, if you have multiple threads demanding bandwidth - such as a continuous background backup task along with your foreground task - this means your foreground task (your speedtest) will only be able to access the bandwidth available after the bandwidth assigned to the background task is allocated.

Note: Usually, the bandwidth-per-task-allocation is set at a percentage equal to the number of background tasks in process. (Eg: two tasks 50%, three tasks 33%, etc.) However, the value is sometimes adjustable in the background task's configuration. My backup programs allow the amount of network bandwidth consumed by my backup to be adjusted as desired. This is also the case with torrenting programs.

2. If you have multiple wireless devices connected to the AirPort - that router will automatically apportion bandwidth to the multiple devices. Your maximum datarate for your MBP will drop as those multiple devices compete for the total available bandwidth. This is by design and is again unavoidable.

3. The AirPort (just like all wireless routers) tries to be "signal friendly" in its environment. This means it will try to "be a good neighbour" - and not spray its signal all over the place - such that it interferes with other devices in the area.

Note: The above automatically causes lower bandwidth to be imposed - so that your signal and the other signals in your area - do not become involved in a "signal strength pissing contest". In earlier days with more-primitive routers - having lots of routers close to each other drove both your router and all your neighbours' routers crazy - and nobody got good bandwidth at all.

Nowadays at least - for routers that "play nice" - you get a fair chunk of bandwidth - and so does your neighbour - consistent with the number of router radios impinging upon each other.

-

Now that you are aware of the complexities of bandwidth allocation between competing wireless routers in an area - can you understand why the datarate you get can vary all over the map - depending upon where your MBP is in the room, how far your MBP is from your wireless router, how near your MPB is to a competing wireless router, and so on?

This is why it is impossible to make performance determinations in regards to high bandwidth devices - on the basis of wireless connections.
Mac Write
New Westminster, BC

Mac Write

I just ran a speed test from my Mac Pro (hardwired > AE > T2200H) using screensharing from my Mac Pro and got 101mbps.

I guess having Shaw Xtreme-I I never ran into these issues.

Now to work on tightening up my Wireless to get better through put. your always learning. thanks
Symtex
join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

said by Mac Write:

I just ran a speed test from my Mac Pro (hardwired > AE > T2200H) using screensharing from my Mac Pro and got 101mbps.

I guess having Shaw Xtreme-I I never ran into these issues.

Now to work on tightening up my Wireless to get better through put. your always learning. thanks

Step 1 : Turn off the wireless antenna in the T2200H
Step 2 : Get a wireless router with a better chipset and a more powerful antenna
Step 3 : Set that router as an Access Point only

Problem resolved.
Mac Write
New Westminster, BC

1 edit

Mac Write

I am not using the T2200H for WiFi. But other in the house don't want to share my WiFi as they are worried I will hack them. They are using Shaw and I am trying to get her to dump it and just use the Telus connection.

can I hard wire into port 2 from my AE (separate from Port 1) and do LAN > LAN port and setup a VLAN so I can still access there admin setup?