Search similar:

uniqs

DCELL
CC/Nature Coast
join:2010-06-17
Inglis, FL

DCELL

IMAP

TElijah, I tried to add to this thread »[CFL] IMAP Support for RoadRunner Email but it's too old. Are you using IMAP still, how is it working? I want to use it on a W8.1Pro laptop with the mail app. I have not tried it yet, but I'm assuming I can use the TWC settings for incoming/IMAP and BHN RR settings for outgoing/SMTP.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Try now...

DCELL
CC/Nature Coast
Inglis, FL

DCELL

said by BHNtechXpert:

Try now...

That worked, but I was only able to reply to the OP, not TElijah. From what I remember, he/she said they were successfully using IMAP.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to DCELL

Premium Member

to DCELL
Yea it works..

DCELL
CC/Nature Coast
Inglis, FL

DCELL

djkilla
join:2013-06-12
Tampa, FL

djkilla to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

Yea it works..

I've been using the POP servers forever to download my email to my client (Thunderbird). I'm thrilled to hear that IMAP is now available so I can now have email synched between my home computer, laptop, iphone and iPad. When did IMAP become available? What is the size of the IMAP servers to store emails (how many emails can the IMAP servers hold)?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by djkilla:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Yea it works..

I've been using the POP servers forever to download my email to my client (Thunderbird). I'm thrilled to hear that IMAP is now available so I can now have email synched between my home computer, laptop, iphone and iPad. When did IMAP become available? What is the size of the IMAP servers to store emails (how many emails can the IMAP servers hold)?

It's been available in test mode for months. I will have more on this soon enough.

DCELL
CC/Nature Coast
Inglis, FL

DCELL to djkilla

to djkilla
I don't think it's actually "supported", it just "works". For incoming you just use TWCs imap server info for your area. For outgoing, use BHNs smtp settings for your area.
DCELL

1 edit

DCELL

Seems to be working, though I'm having some problems understanding how the folders work.
Also, it appears if I delete something from my laptop's IMAP email connection, it deletes it FROM the server-thus it's not available to any other connection. Is that normal/correct? EDIT: I checked WEBMAIL and noticed the email deleted from the laptop's IMAP connection was moved to WEBMAIL's deleted items folder.
Using Outlook on our main computer at home (which used POP), if I delete something, it just goes to the deleted folder in Outlook-leaving a copy on the server. If I EMPTY the deleted folder, it deletes it from the server also.
For incoming IMAP email server I used mail.twc.com
kmdean
join:2012-06-22
Orlando, FL

kmdean

IMAP syncs, so if you delete in one it will sync that deletion across all devices unless you have set all of your devices to not sync the Deleted folder.

DCELL
CC/Nature Coast
Inglis, FL

DCELL

said by kmdean:

IMAP syncs, so if you delete in one it will sync that deletion across all devices unless you have set all of your devices to not sync the Deleted folder.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm only going to use IMAP on the laptop. I don't see in the W8.1Pro app where you can change ANY sync settings. Main thing is I don't want to accidentally delete something from the server by deleting it from the laptop, having said that, I WOULD like the OPTION to delete it from the server via the laptop.
kmdean
Orlando, FL

1 recommendation

kmdean

If you have your POP device set to delete from server either right away, after a few minutes, or when your deleted items are emptied, it will delete it from your IMAP accounts. If you delete and item from an IMAP device it will not delete it from your POP device as long as the email has already been downloaded by that device. It's not usually a good idea to mix and match IMAP / POP because it could get messy for the POP device if it hasn't checked recently and you already deleted it from IMAP. POP only sees the inbox, so if you use IMAP to move it to another folder you delete it, the POP device will no longer be able to retrieve that email.

DCELL
CC/Nature Coast
Inglis, FL

DCELL

thanks...
DCELL

DCELL

I have the POP device set to leave mail on the server for 100 days (that's the max in Outlook) and to remove mail from the server when the deleted folder is emptied. I use Maildroid on my phone (POP/SMTP), when I delete something from it, I have the option to delete it from just the phone, or delete it from the server too. Maybe I'll just use Outlook & POP/SMTP on the laptop so I don't have any issues accidentally deleting something I might want later...
kmdean
Orlando, FL

kmdean

Yes, if you use POP everywhere then you're no longer syncing, you just need to make sure each device is set to leave messages on the server long enough for all devices to check mail. Usually only a few days is fine unless you want your account space filling up if you receive lots of emails with large attachments normally.

djkilla
join:2013-06-12
Tampa, FL

djkilla to DCELL

to DCELL
POP servers are more for getting email in one place. IMAP is more like the cloud for email. HowToGeek has a good article on it here:

»www.howtogeek.com/99423/ ··· xchange/

telijah
Premium Member
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL

telijah to DCELL

Premium Member

to DCELL
Hey just saw this. I had not used the default Android email client to test if it worked, and I also closed the account in my name months ago when I moved. So I am not able to confirm at the moment.
yimitz
join:2012-09-21
Livonia, MI

yimitz

said by telijah:

Hey just saw this. I had not used the default Android email client to test if it worked, and I also closed the account in my name months ago when I moved. So I am not able to confirm at the moment.

Today I took one of my RR accounts and set it up with IMAP, using MS Outlook on my PC and K-9 Mail on my Samsung S3 phone as clients. Things are working fine so far.