uniqs
kc27
Premium Member
join:2006-03-11
Milwaukee, WI

2 edits

kc27

Premium Member

Is There a Noticeable Difference Going From 24mbps to 45mbps?

Has anyone moved from the 24 mbps Uverse internet service to the 45 mbps service? Was the speed increase noticeable, and do you feel it was worth it?

I thought upgrading was something that could be managed remotely, but was told it required a visit by a technician. Also, how long did the install take? Any experience you can share would be appreciated.

Dion86M
@spcsdns.net

Dion86M

Anon

Re: Is There a Noticeable Differnce Going From 24mbps to 45mpbs?

There's absolutely a difference. Especially on the upload and ping times. Regarding download, it's twice as fast, so if you're doing multiple things such as streaming netflix, and multiple devices then you will for sure benefit as I have.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to kc27

to kc27
There should be a measurable difference. Assuming you get 24 Mbps now, what are speedtests showing at peak hours? Run a few, at different times, on different days.

On the other hand, you don't indicate your usage, how many simultaneous video streams you're likely to want, how many gamers you have, or whatever.

Let's say I have a Chevette that works just fine to get me the six blocks to the grocery store, and I never even get on the freeway. I could buy a Ferrari (If I sold my house and lived in the car ) that tops out at 200 mph, but I probably wouldn't notice much difference in how long it would take to get to the grocery store.

Milwaukee PT to kc27

Anon

to kc27

Re: Is There a Noticeable Difference Going From 24mbps to 45mpbs?

Install time will be based on availability and condition of 2nd line.

Expect 2 hours if no problems as one or more jumpers will need to be installed at crossbox after activation and testing.
The second pair will need to be attached to drop, which might need replacing.... Plus strong likelihood of new NID or modify kit installed in existing NID, a new cat5 home run without any breaks, and ATT Branded Jack install/tested. Then the install of 589 RG and update software.

If any issues with 2nd pairvcan take 5,7,9 hours.
Once conversion started, if issue cannot be placed back.... Meaning if late in day install with problems and tech has to return job, you are down till new appointment is scheduled AFTER the outside is resolved. Have seen 3-5 days before being back up. Just an FYI.
kc27
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

kc27

Premium Member

Thanks for the eye-opener Milwaukee PT. Is the "home run" the cat 5 from the NID to the RG? If so, when Uverse was installed four years ago, the installer ran new cat5 cable in the house. Will that help ease the installation at all?

argmematey my max typical use will be two simultaneous Netflix streams; a Roku stream, a game console being played over the web, and PC or tablet web surfing, and any cell phones using wifi. If our kids' friends are visiting, they usually bring their wireless gadgets, too.

I have Uverse TV and internet, and am considering eventually dropping the TV, since our viewing habits don't support the $123/month cost.

Nuckfuts
Premium Member
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL

Nuckfuts

Premium Member

With all that streaming and gaming it would be alot better. On speed test sometimes I peak at 50mbps DL and maintain 5.7-5.9 UL.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to kc27

MVM

to kc27
said by kc27:

my max typical use will be two simultaneous Netflix streams; a Roku stream, a game console being played over the web, and PC or tablet web surfing, and any cell phones using wifi. If our kids' friends are visiting, they usually bring their wireless gadgets, too.

You likely would see a difference, where I doubt it would be noticeable for me (single person, alone).

The Engineer
@scansafe.net

The Engineer to Dion86M

Anon

to Dion86M

Re: Is There a Noticeable Differnce Going From 24mbps to 45mpbs?

I think you'd need 3 Netflix HD streams before you notice. I have 18mpbs service (23 mbps real world), and it handles 2 Netflix streams with no issues whatsoever.

That download from Adobe might go a bit quicker. I did notice that Adobe must have some badass servers, I watched a download in real time and it topped out at 23 mbps. If you had faster service, it might download well beyond that.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to Milwaukee PT

Premium Member

to Milwaukee PT

said by Milwaukee PT :

Expect 2 hours if no problems as one or more jumpers will need to be installed at crossbox after activation and testing.
The second pair will need to be attached to drop, which might need replacing.... Plus strong likelihood of new NID or modify kit installed in existing NID, a new cat5 home run without any breaks, and ATT Branded Jack install/tested. Then the install of 589 RG and update software.

Once conversion started, if issue cannot be placed back.... Meaning if late in day install with problems and tech has to return job, you are down till new appointment is scheduled AFTER the outside is resolved. Have seen 3-5 days before being back up. Just an FYI.

I find this quite scary. All I needed to do when I got an upgrade from 100 to 300 Mbps is to plug in a new, 16 channel modem as opposed to the 8 channel one I had.

hyphenated
@comcastbusiness.net

hyphenated

Anon

said by maartena:

said by Milwaukee PT :

I find this quite scary. All I needed to do when I got an upgrade from 100 to 300 Mbps is to plug in a new, 16 channel modem as opposed to the 8 channel one I had.

>> I find this quite scary

Why?
MikeRich88
join:2003-05-04
Houston, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
ARRIS SB6190

MikeRich88 to maartena

to maartena
said by maartena:

Yeah, you are obviously a cable subscriber, and your upgrade consisted of a newer DOCSIS modem.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

1 recommendation

maartena to hyphenated

Premium Member

to hyphenated
said by hyphenated :

said by maartena:

said by Milwaukee PT :

>> I find this quite scary

Why?

Because there isn't any guarantee that you can actually get a certain speed. I had U-Verse for 4 years, and it worked quite allright at 24/3, but when my cable company offered me 100/5 for less money I left in Feb 2014. I could have gotten 50/5 since 2012 or so, but that didn't seem too compelling an upgrade yet to bother changing.

The thing that has plagued DSL since the first people were connected in the late 90s has always been distance. You sign up, and it is pretty much a Russian Roulette, a Crap Shoot, or a pure Luck of the Draw if you want to call it any of those to find out if you actually can get what you signed up for.

The fact that it can takes a full day without giving you any guarantee it will work.... is indeed quite scary.

Sure, with cable you have all sorts of issues as well, bad cables can happen, damaged equipment, rotten modems, etc, etc.... but at least you know that if you can get 300 Mbps, everyone else connected to the same central cable plant can get 300 Mbps, regardless of how far away you live from it. When 300 Mbps went live in my town, everyone could get it from day 1.

I'm just hoping AT&T will roll out Gigapower everywhere. (which seems unlikely)

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by maartena:

The thing that has plagued DSL since the first people were connected in the late 90s has always been distance. You sign up, and it is pretty much a Russian Roulette, a Crap Shoot, or a pure Luck of the Draw if you want to call it any of those to find out if you actually can get what you signed up for.

AT&T (SBC, really) managed reasonably well. I got what I signed up for. But charging by tier is an artifice; it costs them no more to deliver 3.0 Mbps than to deliver 1.5 Mbps. Just makes the marks think they're getting a deal.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy

MVM

said by NormanS:

But charging by tier is an artifice

The other option (pay by amount used aka caps) is worse.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

I am not paying for a specific tier. I am not paying "per byte" either. It seems that my ISP has found a third way.
jdj2035
join:2010-11-03

jdj2035 to maartena

to maartena
said by maartena:

Because there isn't any guarantee that you can actually get a certain speed. I had U-Verse for 4 years, and it worked quite allright at 24/3, but when my cable company offered me 100/5 for less money I left in Feb 2014. I could have gotten 50/5 since 2012 or so, but that didn't seem too compelling an upgrade yet to bother changing.

The fact that it can takes a full day without giving you any guarantee it will work.... is indeed quite scary.

Sure, with cable you have all sorts of issues as well, bad cables can happen, damaged equipment, rotten modems, etc, etc.... but at least you know that if you can get 300 Mbps, everyone else connected to the same central cable plant can get 300 Mbps, regardless of how far away you live from it. When 300 Mbps went live in my town, everyone could get it from day 1.

I'm just hoping AT&T will roll out Gigapower everywhere. (which seems unlikely)

The issue with Cable in my area is saturation. They can indeed offer me a 100Mb/s line, but if they saturate the node I certainly do not get the speed that I am paying for.

With U-Verse I get 47Mb/s down with every speed test no matter the time of day.

My install did take 4 hours, but this was due to the tech pulling a new home run to the RG instead of trying to jump all through my house wiring to get rid of the bridge tap's. Since then my connection has been rock solid with no re-trains or any down time. One of my lines has a max sync rate of 49.6Mb/s and the other 58.7Mb/s so I have plenty of head room now for the 75Mb/s tier and the lines will be even faster once 17a and vectoring are released.

Bottom line is this. U-Verse is different in every area. It all depends on how the plant is kept and maintained over the years. The same with any cable company. You have to decide what works for you.

In my eyes DOCSIS is no different than AT&T. They are squeezing more speed out of the old HFC plant by bonding more channels on the downstream and upstream. They will eventually hit a limit and be forced to an all glass/fiber plant just as AT&T/Verizon and any other phone company. They are all trying to squeeze every last dime out of the existing plant now while building most new areas and subdivisions with fiber.

That seems to be the case in my area at least.
kc27
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

kc27

Premium Member

Re: Is There a Noticeable Difference Going From 24mbps to 45mbps?

The 45mbps service was installed today. Took about 2 hours of actual work time. The Uverse Tech doing the install had to call in a lineman to do something with the wiring out on the street, so waiting for that person to get here added another 2 hours on to the job.

Some had commented there would be a noticeable difference betwen 24 and 45mbps, but it doesn't seem to be that pronounced of a difference. I am also seeing differences in speed between two wired devices. Wen running an internet speed test, one of the wired devices is half the speed of the other. I'm going to start another thread to see if anyone has any ideas on that.
yzor
Premium Member
join:2003-01-03
Jacksonville, FL
Linksys WRT1900ACS
Netgear CM1000

1 edit

yzor to kc27

Premium Member

to kc27
in the general feel for the average act of browsing, I not really noticed a big difference. mainly because.
A: the ping is the same or worse.
B: The upload speed is the same.
why that matters is a technical, but mainly even browsing has to sent some info out....
Do I feel its worth it, well not really.

This: $7 bucks a month now to "rent" a modem sucks. and its 10-15 more a month on bill. and frankly my old 2wire lasted for 6 years and almost never went down.
this new Motorola is 3 month old and its been down 9 times.....

The install took only 1 hour for me. changed the NID connected 2nd pair, got new modem. no big deal.

So having Netflix and Amazon are why I when for higher speed, but at $80-85 a month 45meg/sec is no bargain, but I never would ever try Comcast again....twice is enough to learn the hard lessons.
yzor

yzor to maartena

Premium Member

to maartena

So here is Jacksonville Florida that is NOT true. The have higher speeds to the south of town than the North.

Its a split plant. I can tell you this long story of the (BETA testing)1 way Surfboard cable modems up until modern times.

Still they always say I can get this high speed and you subscribe and you find out not matter what DOCSIS modem you get, its limited to version 2 and 25meg.

while down in Mandarin area of Jacksonville, you can get really high speed. Downtown also where they offer biz speeds. So its not just 1 cable plant.....

NOT to Mention You could always tell it was time for everyone to get home from school or work, and the weekends. Its all about node load. They used to be really bad like 2500 a node, I had cable for years when even DSL was a pipe dream. I tested the first 2 way cable modems etc etc.....I was very connected with that group for awhile. of course this was pre comcast. Boy they been through some names here.

TimeLord04
join:2014-11-13
Danville, CA

TimeLord04

said by yzor:

So here is Jacksonville Florida that is NOT true. The have higher speeds to the south of town than the North.

Its a split plant. I can tell you this long story of the (BETA testing)1 way Surfboard cable modems up until modern times.

Still they always say I can get this high speed and you subscribe and you find out not matter what DOCSIS modem you get, its limited to version 2 and 25meg.

while down in Mandarin area of Jacksonville, you can get really high speed. Downtown also where they offer biz speeds. So its not just 1 cable plant.....

NOT to Mention You could always tell it was time for everyone to get home from school or work, and the weekends. Its all about node load. They used to be really bad like 2500 a node, I had cable for years when even DSL was a pipe dream. I tested the first 2 way cable modems etc etc.....I was very connected with that group for awhile. of course this was pre comcast. Boy they been through some names here.

Cable Names you say!!!...!!!

Lets see what happened here in Danville, CA...

Televents

TCI

AT&T -- NOT U-Verse... They actually bought TCI in our area and we had AT&T for POTS and TV... (COMCAST was competing at that point, too.) 1 Year later AT&T sold out their TV business and we were forced to COMCAST... (Pre XFINITY)

U-Verse (Competing with COMCAST.)

XFINITY (Competing with U-Verse.)

During the AT&T year, Fiber was installed in the streets in most of Danville, and surrounding areas. However; for some reason, it didn't get used immediately... When COMCAST took over from AT&T we thought maybe COMCAST would make use of the fiber; but no...

Then U-Verse came out!!! (Satellite isn't as big in this area; unless you're in a Condominium complex. Very few single family homes in Danville have Dish or DirecTV.)

TL
kc27
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

kc27

Premium Member

The 45mbps has been installed (took about 4.5 hours - 2 hours of work by the Uverse installer - and I already have Uverse - and 2.5 hours of waiting for an AT&T lineman be available to do something that the Uverse installer could not do. I ran the dslreports.com speed test and got these test results.

The increased speed is nice, but it does not seem as though it is dramatically different from the 24mbps It is probably just too soon to tell.

TimeLord04
join:2014-11-13
Danville, CA

TimeLord04

said by kc27:

The 45mbps has been installed (took about 4.5 hours - 2 hours of work by the Uverse installer - and I already have Uverse - and 2.5 hours of waiting for an AT&T lineman be available to do something that the Uverse installer could not do. I ran the dslreports.com speed test and got these test results.

The increased speed is nice, but it does not seem as though it is dramatically different from the 24mbps It is probably just too soon to tell.

If you stream a lot of multiple streams you will notice... (No throttling... Unlike COMCAST.) I had a friend over, and he downloaded 12+ streams at once onto his laptop. Never a hiccup...

TL
yzor
Premium Member
join:2003-01-03
Jacksonville, FL

yzor to TimeLord04

Premium Member

to TimeLord04

yea, I lived through the 1way cable modems taht was fun times, but it beat modems...
kc27
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

kc27

Premium Member

There can be two Netflix streams, one XBox one networked gameplay, and web surfing going on simultaneously, so this speed might turn out to be worth keeping.

I am going to drop the TV portion of Uverse and just go with Uverse for internet, so that should leave even more bandwidth for internet. Hate to give up the DVR, and Fox Ohio Sports, but realistically, we only watch about 4 of the channels regularly - and those are mostly kids' channels with content that eventually ends up on Netflix.