uniqs

wutsinterweb3
End Citizen's United
Premium Member
join:2014-08-26
USA

wutsinterweb3

Premium Member

DDR4 is kinda expensive, is it on par with past year's new RAM?

When DDR3 hit the market, was it as expensive as DDR4 is now? Also, I only see capacities of 8 GB on a stick, shouldn't we be seeing 16 GB sticks, or will we see them soon?

I don't know what DDR3 Prices were like because I'm still using a DDR2 based system until I get my new Devil's Canyon in a couple weeks.

Also, what features does DDR4 bring to the table besides higher speeds?

VegasMan
Living the Vegas life.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Las Vegas, NV
·CenturyLink

VegasMan

Premium Member

RAM prices go in waves. High at first, them as production ramps up the price goes down, then as new versions come out then the price will go up again on the same RAM as now it isn't being made as much or anymore and that creates a new demand.

Benefits right now are small but will get better. Right now the biggest benefit is lower power consumption.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to wutsinterweb3

MVM

to wutsinterweb3
I'm trying to go from memory here so I'm not 100% sure on this.

However, I seem to recall spending something like ~$45 or ~$50 USD for my first DDR3 1333 DIMM which was a 1GB DIMM. This was when DDR3 was first hitting the market and I believe that was slightly before the Nehalem release (~2008-ish). I used it with a Core 2 Quad Q6600 since the motherboard supported both DDR2 and DDR3.

My first DDR4 DIMM was a 4GB 2133 module at about ~$55.

I'm not sure how to quantify that though since typical system density was lower then and we are talking about a 1GB DIMM vs a 4GB DIMM at roughly the same price.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to wutsinterweb3

Premium Member

to wutsinterweb3
Remember when DDR2 came out...

wutsinterweb3
End Citizen's United
Premium Member
join:2014-08-26
USA

wutsinterweb3

Premium Member

...and?

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

2 edits

Anonymous_

Premium Member

I remember paying 270$ for 1GB of ddr ram (pair) this is when socket 939 was out

the only issue is Cas Latency: has increased significantly

DDR 400 PC3200= about 2 (higher end tccd ram)

DDR2 =6
ddr3 = 10
ddr4 =16