zed260

Premium Member

anyone ever got the 200 dollar ultra activation fee waived

anyone ever got the 200 dollar ultra activation fee waived
BoMarty
join:2001-02-01
Ballwin, MO

BoMarty

Maybe ask "has anyone ever paid the $200 Ultra activation fee"?

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Or ask why does Charter fail to mention this fee on their website when you want Ultra service?
zed260
Premium Member
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
Netgear R7000

zed260

Premium Member

said by KoRnGtL15:

Or ask why does Charter fail to mention this fee on their website when you want Ultra service?

well on there site 100 ultra isnt even advertised here

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to zed260

to zed260
What will you be doing that 60mbps can't provide you enough service???

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15 to zed260

Premium Member

to zed260
Click for full size
100mb/5mb
said by zed260:

said by KoRnGtL15:

well on there site 100 ultra isnt even advertised here

It is to advertised.
zed260
Premium Member
Cleveland, TN
Netgear R7000

zed260 to compuguybna

Premium Member

to compuguybna
said by compuguybna:

can never have enough speed lol

"anyway if epb ever managed to expand to cleveland id probably get it but thats another matter"

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958

Premium Member

said by zed260:

That may be true, but I sure can have to much of a bill!

And then, a $200 installation fee for something I already have? I don't think so!!
zed260
Premium Member
Cleveland, TN

zed260

Premium Member

said by cork1958:

lol yeah if not for bill id get bussnuss fiber 1 gig line

BlahBlah
@charter.com

BlahBlah to zed260

Anon

to zed260
said by zed260:

said by compuguybna:

Is going from 60 Mbps to 100 Mbps worth $600 a year? If so then you can afford the $200 fee. Personally I don't see $600 benefit in it. It would be different if the upload was significantly higher and Charter still had caps and actually enforced them. Then MAYBE it might be worth it
zed260
Premium Member
Cleveland, TN
Netgear R7000

zed260

Premium Member

said by BlahBlah :

said by zed260:

said by compuguybna:

Is going from 60 Mbps to 100 Mbps worth $600 a year? If so then you can afford the $200 fee. Personally I don't see $600 benefit in it. It would be different if the upload was significantly higher and Charter still had caps and actually enforced them. Then MAYBE it might be worth it

well now that the fcc overturned the state law assuming courts agree ill be getting 69.99 a month 1 gig in a few years
dot854jc
join:2004-06-28
Cleveland, TN

dot854jc

Amen! I live in southeast cleveland and they announced today that southwest Cleveland will be one of the first areas the expand service! They have fiber they can use all over bradley county!

neofate
Caveat Depascor
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Birmingham, AL

neofate to BoMarty

Premium Member

to BoMarty
said by BoMarty:

Maybe ask "has anyone ever paid the $200 Ultra activation fee"?

hahah.. I was thinking the same thing. I never paid a fee for Ultra,.. the $100+ per month is more than enough. An activation fee is ridiculous. The only time there was an activation fee was back in 2000 or so when I first had Charter setup Broadband (it just became available) and a sub contractor came out to install that night and he was very good, thorough, used top notch RG-6, routed it neatly and asked me exactly how I wanted the outlet.. and Added a second outlet at my request.

This job was worthy of a $200 fee.. but it was waived even then (at the time it was a $99 installation fee.. which was waived for some reason that I've since forgotten).
neofate

neofate to compuguybna

Premium Member

to compuguybna
said by compuguybna:

Believe it or not some people utilize much more than 100Mbps -- 99% of Residential customers,.. don't utilize 100Mbps for more than a few seconds at a time at best unless they are torrent hounds. But for many people in IT/Networking/remote services/among other high consistent bandwidth things -- I double up a Business and Resi line in aggregate with Pfsense built *nix router for ~200 Rx/10-11Tx.

I suppose you say the same for the 1000/1000 for $70 from google? Don't misunderstand me,.. 99% of people do not use these speeds for but blips of time.. but I like to think of it like this,.. (For those who have Ultra.. or better elsewhere) -- and don't use the speed 99.9% of the time -- It's sort of like having a Veyron,.. you aren't going to go 240mph,.. nor use anywhere close to most of it's power,.. 99% of the time but you like knowing you have it and some times for short bursts you do use it. (Not the strongest analogy,.. but you get the idea).

I'm sure this isn't lost on you. I get it,.. Most people who have Ultra could save a fair bit of money by dropping to 60 and not really notice any real difference,.. but a few people do use it, and actually need more.

I mean the argument could be made who needs 60? Why not just drop back to 30?

Let's just take hard core gamers for example -- They grab say Payday 2 this week on Steam.. need to download 3 Gigs.. it's nice getting that in minutes rather than , well,.. longer.

They get on their Xbox one.. and download GTA V.. A 43 Gigabyte download.

Factor in 10 percent overhead for good measure.. and you get:

between 2-4 hours with 60Mbps (likely not going to be that fast.. but let's say you get your full 60 the whole time).

4-6 Hours at 30-35Mbps..

With Ultra it's minutes (lots of minutes.. but still under an hour).

Let's take the seemingly ridiculous Google Fiber -- it's 5-6 Minutes.

There is merit even for normal recreational purposes.

But, I tend to agree with the notion that people should , now that 60 is pushed out as standard, back off the Ultra to save a good bit of money.. unless they REALLY use it / utilize it a fair amount of the time.