Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

job elearning problems

My company signed a contract with McNeil and Company for safety training, etc. The lessons use Flash. The videos and slides play fine until it's quiz time. Every time I need to complete one, I have to beg somebody with Windows to use their computer, quite a humiliating and unpleasant experience. On Windows and Firefox, the button to start quiz appears within the Flash Player, as expected. On my Gentoo PC with Firefox and Pipelight running the latest Flash(tried disabling all other addons), I get a corrupted image of the last video frame/slide that is not clickable, though lesson plays fine to that point. The tech support said it worked fine for them on Ubuntu(yuck!). Can somebody point me to what could be wrong to end my cycle of begging to use others computers? Please! I hate this!! Endless begging just to keep my job sucks ; ;

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

Is loading up Win 7 or Ubuntu in a VM out of the question?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by Ian1:

Is loading up Win 7 or Ubuntu in a VM out of the question?

Apparently.
said by Selenia:

The tech support said it worked fine for them on Ubuntu(yuck!).

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

Only Ubuntu as I refuse to buy Windows just to load 1 lesson, given the fact $100+ can be spent on far better things than a tablet-like OS I hate(have to work on win8 machines often enough and win7 is no longer sold). I hate Ubuntu for turning a PC into a tablet too, besides the bloat and unoptimised 386 compiled binaries. Question then is what would make Ubuntu any different? I have no issues with other flash content.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
I don't suppose there's anything that can be linked here to check with various configurations?

And did you check it with Chrome? I thought Chrome had its own Flash handling.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

If it helps, I have NVidia graphics hardware using nouveau driver. I would suspect the driver if I had garbled screens in other OpenGL programs, which I don't.
Selenia

Selenia to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
Much as I dislike Chrome, I will check if it can be installed into Gentoo. I would prefer that over booting into a whole OS I hate or compiling virtualbox on every single update. Tech support claims they used Fx but come to think, Chrome is now default in Ubuntu.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

Have you tried turning off hardware acceleration?

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

I did and no change. I had heard a rumor that the setting is often ignored if the content requests it.
Selenia

Selenia to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
Seems they do have an ebuild for Chrome, even though Chrome site seems to stick to the standard .deb and .rpm packages. I will give it a whirl when I get back home. Was called to work since originally posting.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus to Selenia

Premium Member

to Selenia
Have you tried loading a pirated windows iso into a vm on ubuntu?

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

1 recommendation

Selenia

Premium Member

Honestly, I don't trust pirated Windows due to new malware/spyware variants that can easily be cloaked within. Going to try the Chrome solution and see if that works. Was too exhausted by the time I got home last night. I dislike the browser, but using it for that 1 task is not so bad.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

better than using a windows VM.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to Selenia

Premium Member

to Selenia
Is this a work computer?

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

Personal, hence my being possessive in terms of what I am willing to run. They decided to save money on yearly retraining for basic things by having us do these eLearning lessons at home.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

Did the other browser work?

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

A preliminary test says it does. Sorry, I been busy, sick, and tired. The triple threat.
yazdzik
MVM
join:2000-07-26
Honesdale, PA

yazdzik

MVM

Dear S and friends,

Just as personal anecdotal statement, certain things created with flash work better, or not at all, or do not work in different browsers using the pepperflash vs adobe nssplugin on the one or two remaining browsers that still use that API.

College Board stuff seems to prefer FF and Adobe, Hotmail for a few days only worked on Chrome(ium), Opera, and so on. Common App worked perfectly in FF, but there are individual college apps that love Chrome and Pepper monogamously.

So, for proprietary flash based sites with forms, there is a need, not a preference, to install at least FF/npapiflash and a chrome/pepperflash based browser on a linux-based system to be used in the real world for stuff we all have to do.

Good luck. I hope that Chrome/Pepperflash solves your problem and that you feel better.
Best,
M

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

1 recommendation

rchandra to Selenia

Premium Member

to Selenia
more likely Chromium. Difference is Chrome is specifically a Google build, Chromium is the source to build something similar. Chrome goes into /opt/google/chrome/, Chromium goes into /usr/bin/chromium-browser...at least by default with Ubuntu packages.

If you don't like Canonical turning your desktop into a Win8 tile world, I would say try my current favorite, Xubuntu. I heart Xfce.