spc
Search similar:

uniqs

TonyinOK
@mycingular.net

TonyinOK

Anon

Trying to get U-Verse Internet

I was referred to this site for my internet problem. AT&T is telling me I can't get U-Verse. I find this very hard to believe considering there is an AT&T fiber line running through my property (literally 72 feet from my house). There is also a node on site. AT&T can confirm both the line and node are theirs. Can someone help with this issue? I've been fighting for months now and I'm fed up. Never in my life has it been so difficult to GIVE someone my money...
TonyinOK

TonyinOK

Anon

Anyone? This seems like such a primitive problem.

nixx
@sbcglobal.net

nixx

Anon

any pics of the fiber or node?

TonyinOK
@mycingular.net

TonyinOK

Anon

Click for full size
Yes here ^

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Without seeing the inside of the ped, that is a very standard looking copper ped, not a fiber ped

Do any of your neighbors or yourself have any present, existing AT&T wireline services? Be it POTS, DSL, U-Verse, etc?

nixx
@sbcglobal.net

nixx

Anon

I agree this is not fiber, at&t's fiber peds have a square bottom in addition to the round cover.

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav to TonyinOK

to TonyinOK
What you should be looking for is a VRAD, where the Ports are located to give you U-Verse Service. Like others have suggested, talk to neighbors and see if any have U-Verse. Give us a City and State, and maybe we can find more information.
benk016
join:2011-06-05
Owasso, OK

benk016

This is the PED in my back yard that my ONT is fed from. That look just like ours. So I'd say it is a fiber ped.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Hmm, at least in my area, that model ped is only used for Copper

The FTTP peds, at least around me, have that same cylinder top/cap, but the base is square: »www.charlesindustries.co ··· el18.jpg

That being said, I don't think there is any reason that model ped depicted cannot be used for Fiber -- I just haven't seen it
benk016
join:2011-06-05
Owasso, OK

benk016

I'll have to find the pics of the inside of mine. They don't lock it so I took some pics one day. There isn't much to it inside.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U

Premium Member

If its fiber, there should be a splice tray inside, the Fiber Feeder breakout cable, and the Fiber Drops spliced to the broken out fibers in the splice tray

TonyinOK
@mycingular.net

TonyinOK to alchav

Anon

to alchav
Well this is definitely fiber, AT&T has confirmed this already. City is Norman, OK.

I'm very curious, what is VRAD? I've been trying to investigate everything myself. That way I can hold their hand and show them everything (because otherwise they look at a screen and read a script), and also to call them out on any bs.
TonyinOK

TonyinOK

Anon

Also I don't know a whole lot of the lingo (such as VRAD), so try to refrain from acronyms please? Lol.

AT&T has sent out an engineer to evaluate my case. While I hope this is true, I don't put milk and cookies out for santa claus anymore...
TonyinOK

TonyinOK

Anon

Also, none of the houses on my (dead end) street have it, or any other cable-fed service. I'm basically fighting for all of us (~15-20 houses). But I'm the first house (aka the top of the T, not the bottom), so if push comes to shove, screw my neighbors. After all, I'm doing all the work.

But you would think with at least 10 confirmed houses that would instantly pay for service (including TV) AT&T would want some extra $$$. Idk.

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South

skj to TonyinOK

Mod

to TonyinOK
said by TonyinOK :

I'm very curious, what is VRAD?

You have questions? We have answers.
»AT&T U-Verse FAQ »What is a VRAD?

alchav
Saint George, UT

alchav to TonyinOK

to TonyinOK
said by TonyinOK :

Well this is definitely fiber, AT&T has confirmed this already. City is Norman, OK.

I'm very curious, what is VRAD? I've been trying to investigate everything myself. That way I can hold their hand and show them everything (because otherwise they look at a screen and read a script), and also to call them out on any bs.

VRAD (Video Ready Access Device,) you need this before any U-Verse Service can be deployed in your area. You can have all the Fiber in your area, but unless the equipment is there nothing can be connected to your house. Check the Link below to see if U-Verse is available for your home. So Norman is South of Oklahoma City, I was stationed at Fort Sill near Lawton many years ago. Some good memories, I was an Instructor Pilot there after coming back from Vietnam.
»www.att.com/shop/availab ··· ity.html

TonyinOK
@mycingular.net

TonyinOK

Anon

So I have researched this almost non-stop since my last post. I know for sure there is at least 1 if not 2 vrads (need to double check) approximately 0.6-0.8 miles from my house. I have also read about the limitations of copper lines. If this is copper, then I understand why I can't get service (weak internet only at best, and that's IF the line runs direct to my house). But this is supposedly fiber confirmed by AT&T. And to be perfectly honest, if AT&T actually tries to work with me, but can only give ~3Mbps, I'll take that in a heartbeat. Beats the heck out of ZERO. So if it is FTTN (I'm learning ) like they say, what could possibly stop me from receiving service? Unless the vrad card is full...
muegen
join:2015-02-08
tx

muegen

It is fiber. Fiber to the VRAD. I have very rarely come to a VRAD that didn't have available ports. When they are near capacity, we add another cab (4 cards per cab, 48 ports per card). The ped depicted is for copper. Like stated, all fiber peds(for use in FTTP, not FTTN) have square bases. The limiting factor here in your case would be distance (assuming a VRAD serves that particular terminal), or your address is just not yet in the database as green.

Ask anyone in the neighborhood if they have uverse. If so, then write down their address. When you get told no by CARE, just escalate to a manager and then provide your findings and ask them to make a case for service so they send a tech out to verify distance to the SAI and the presence of a VRAD.

TonyinOK
@mycingular.net

TonyinOK

Anon

Yes, I am listed as what they called "future green." But they said I could be labeled that way for many years. Again, my only neighbors are on my street, all without service. The cross street is a major highway without houses for ~3/4 of a mile. There are two very large subdivisions across the highway from each other at that point. The intersection where you can cross from one to the other is where the VRAD and other equipment are located (I believe there is an SAI there as well).

But let me make sure I have the basics understood. Fiber comes from the CO to the VRAD (and/or?) SAI. Then out of those can be EITHER (?) fiber or copper. That is then run through however many places until it reaches your node. From the node copper (only?) is run to my house, because my street is made up of older houses ~'61.

Sound right?

In any case I guess more precise information is called for at this point. My street is Lakeside Dr. in Norman, OK. The VRAD location is located on Alameda Dr. just East of 24th Ave(East). My guess is approximately the 2700-3100 block. Can anyone see the details of the U-Verse setup and give me a straight answer? Thanks for all the help!

tigerpaw509
join:2011-01-19

tigerpaw509 to nixx

to nixx
Copper cable

Anon
@att.net

Anon to TonyinOK

Anon

to TonyinOK
Distance from the vrad would limit the availability of the service as well
muegen
tx

muegen to TonyinOK

to TonyinOK
Fiber from CO or RT ---> VRAD, Copper from VRAD ---> SAI (right next to it), Copper from VRAD ---> termindal/node/pedistal (all the same) ---> house.

Did some digging, it doesn't look like you have a VRAD out there (in service at least) quite yet. I do see a slew of work orders for this year though at your SAI.

Keep in mind, I cannot say for sure the above is 100% accurate without further research and details. Could you take a picture of your SAI(cross box)? VRAD, functional or not, would be within a short walking distance.

Take a look for whats around 36th st and Alameda Dr NW and SW corners.

alchav
Saint George, UT

alchav to TonyinOK

to TonyinOK
said by muegen :

Keep in mind, I cannot say for sure the above is 100% accurate without further research and details. Could you take a picture of your SAI(cross box)? VRAD, functional or not, would be within a short walking distance.

Take a look for whats around 36th st and Alameda Dr NW and SW corners.

I see what muegen is saying, your Cross Box or SAI should be close to your VRAD in order for you to have U-Verse. That VRAD you found at 24th Ave is too far, so first you have to find your SAI because that is where your Facilities or Copper is located. So once you find your Cross Box and there is no VRAD near by one has to be Engineered and installed.
muegen
tx

muegen

Correct. The sai I found for that particular street is on the NW corner of Alameda Dr and 36th st. There is fiber close, and likely already in the works, but there's just to telling for sure unless he sees a vrad next to his SAI. (or any type of construction cable work etc near it)

TonyinOK
@mycingular.net

TonyinOK

Anon

Well that helps a little. Is there any chance you could post a link to any of this information you found? Or is it "priviledged" information? If so can you generically elaborate on those work orders? I just want to help them help me.

There are countless addresses in my area with the wrong zip code, mine included until a week ago (changed ~20 years ago and AT&T never updated their info). Considering that, I don't have a lot of faith in AT&T's record keeping. Perhaps other info is wrong too. That's why I'm investigating on my own.
TonyinOK

TonyinOK

Anon

Click for full size
And regarding the pedestal, there is also one of these on site, in addition to the round one. But I don't know if this matters or not. Sorry if it shows up sideways.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

That's just for conventional copper wiring, not for fiber cables. That's where your existing copper telephone cables come from.
TonyinOK
join:2015-03-02

TonyinOK to TonyinOK

to TonyinOK
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
OK I have further info to contribute, with lots of pics. The line running through my yard HAS TO be fiber, because I have proof that it is a distribution line. This line runs all the way to Lake Thunderbird to the East. There is no way they are using copper for a distribution line. There are multiple sites I have located an taken pics to prove.

I will have to post in multiple messages, I guess there is a limit of 4 pics per post. All 4 pics in this post are of equipment located at E. 36th and Alameda, NW corner. No other equipment exists on the other 3 corners.
TonyinOK

TonyinOK to TonyinOK

to TonyinOK
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
These 4 are also of equipment located at E. 36th and Alameda, NW corner.
TonyinOK

TonyinOK to TonyinOK

to TonyinOK
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
These are pics of equipment feeding the subdivision West of my house, 2897 Alameda. These are on the North side of Alameda (and I'm assuming they're feeding only the north side).