Search similar:

uniqs
TonyinOK
join:2015-03-02

TonyinOK to tigerpaw509

to tigerpaw509

Re: Trying to get U-Verse Internet

said by tigerpaw509:

Copper for pots service(plain old telephone )can run forever.For uv fiber to the node the limit is about 5500' depending on gauge and using 2 pairs(bonded).Lightspan is fiber to the neighborhood then copper to your house and provides pots and dls service.

So if I understand this correctly, I can receive Internet (what speed?) if I am less than 1 mile (line distance) from a vrad IF it is a bonded pair, right? This sounds like the setup I would need, and have it ran from the 2897 Alameda vrad.

And regarding the lightspan box (@60th Ave.), IF this somehow is connected to the distribution line, is it even remotely possible to receive service from it? I'm just exploring all possibilities, and eliminating them as needed.

tigerpaw509
join:2011-01-19

tigerpaw509

I have no way of knowing what speeds/services are available to you as I am just a tech who knows what I see in the pictures.Distance will determine if its single or bonded and the 5500' is what they call 26 gauge equivalent.So you could have 19 22 24 26 or a mix but its always measured as 26 gauge equivalent.The bigger the gauge the farther you can reach,all 19 gauge could reach 10,000' but be equivalent to 26 gauge at 5500'.

As far as which box you are feed from that cant be changed,your stuck with what you got.Also your box/vrad may be 1000' as the crow flies but its route could be 2 miles before it passes your house.

Hope this helps you but you should post in the uverse forum as they can help more.
TonyinOK

TonyinOK

Ok thanks for the "gauge equivalent" explanation. I understand now. Like I said, I have known all along it is line distance, not as the crow flies.

Also, is this not the U-Verse forum?

But seriously, thanks for the help.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to tigerpaw509

Premium Member

to tigerpaw509
said by tigerpaw509:

As far as which box you are feed from that cant be changed,your stuck with what you got.

Thats not 100% true. Though its probably high 90s% true. It is at least very difficult to get what crossbox/VRAD you are served out of changed - perhaps almost impossible, but not totally impossible

TestBoy
Premium Member
join:2009-10-13
Irmo, SC

TestBoy to TonyinOK

Premium Member

to TonyinOK
Up in Bell Atlantic land I landed a ticket for DSL trouble.
When I say I landed it... I landed it alright.
It was some manager's account..... so you know where this is going.

Anyhow.... so we had a bad pair between the CO and SAI someplace.
No free pairs either :O
Ironically, this particular spot there were 2xSAI sitting on the pad next to each other serving the two halves of this ritzy development.
Other one had free pairs..... so we ...... moved him from one to the other

And it was not pretty... but management approved.
And you better believe I got that one signed off on.
Use your imagination....
TonyinOK

TonyinOK

So at this point I have realized that sales/billing cannot create an "order number" without a tech/engineer coming out to my house and saying I can receive service. Tech support can not send a tech/engineer without an existing "order number." So when I got one person from each department on the phone at the same time, they realized my dilemma. They proceeded to argue between themselves about what needs to happen next (seriously?). The call ended without resolution, and me stuck in a loophole...

So I think there are only two ways to get a tech/engineer out to my property. Option one is to get in touch directly with my local network engineer (I finally got the name/number two days ago). He has not returned my call, and I'm unsure whether to be naughty or nice to this guy. I'm leaning toward nice, but don't know how to be nice AND get this guy's attention. Or option two is to call to "order" POTS, and have a tech come out, but then say "uh, I lied, I actually want internet only, can you make it happen?"

Thoughts on either of these approaches?

Milwaukee PT

Anon

Option 2 involves the CIM group (POTS/DSL) not Uverse group.....
uverse techs do not install/work POTS, CIM in supporting Uverse only gets sync from VRAD, CO, RT based on assignments from existing order.

If your assignments for POTS from CO is 3.5 miles away does not get you to VRAD that may be closer but wiring running opposite direction.

Seen a customer with VRAD 200 feet from front door across the street.... The VRAD serviced north and west of placement, customer on south side of street. Able to get service (bonded 18/1.5 from VRAD 5000 feet south) instead of bonded 45 that the neighbors to north could get.
muegen
join:2015-02-08
tx

muegen

Having the POTS line would at least put the address in the system (if it is not currently in there) so that if it does in fact have a VRAD would then show up as UVGREEN. Although, after my research... I don't believe there is currently a VRAD at his SAI unless records just have yet to be updated.

Milwaukee PT to TonyinOK

Anon

to TonyinOK
For those addresses that cannot receive a hardwired ADSL2+ or VDSL Uverse connection, the company offers the following mobility product....

»www.att.com/cellphones/a ··· net.html
muegen
tx

muegen to Milwaukee PT

to Milwaukee PT
Heh, Yea I've seen this too. Or...See a VRAD across the street but you are 4000ft away because the cable just loops around the neighborhood.

-Seen a customer with VRAD 200 feet from front door across the street....
TonyinOK

TonyinOK to muegen

to muegen
Right. There is no vrad at MY sai, but there is the one at 2897 Alameda, as stated before. Wouldn't a bonded pair setup at that vrad @5000 ft make me eligible (assuming line distance runs correctly - I want a tech to my premises to eliminate the "assuming" part). But to refresh my memory, a vrad is required for ANY internet other than dial-up, correct?

Again, thanks for all the help everyone.

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

1 edit

alchav

said by TonyinOK:

Right. There is no vrad at MY sai, but there is the one at 2897 Alameda, as stated before. Wouldn't a bonded pair setup at that vrad @

No matter what we say here, you are not getting AT&T Internet unless you go through them. The only way AT&T will check is with an Order, and if they offer regular DSL they will tell you. Original DSL was from the Central Office with a Phone Number, no VRAD was needed. Have you talked to your neighbors, does anyone have Internet? In order for you to get a Bonded Pair from that VRAD there has to be a Cable run from there to your area. AT&T will not do this just for one person or home. So if you want Internet from AT&T to your area you have to talk to your neighbors, and then approach AT&T as a group. Bottom Line is you need an Order.

There is more to this than meets the eye, people want the cheapest Internet possible, and they don't need anymore Land Lines. So if regular DSL is available with a Phone Number no one is going to want to pay for this. My guess is that no one even has an AT&T Land Line in your area. So Internet from AT&T is probably not there because no one is willing to pay for it. If you want AT&T Internet you have to unite your neighborhood.
muegen
tx

1 recommendation

muegen to TonyinOK

to TonyinOK
They would have to tie in your distribution cable over to that other vrad for you to get service from it. This is 99% not going to happen. The only time you can usually switch VRADs is if your F2 runs by another F2 as well (like the edges of some neighborhoods) that's fed by another VRAD.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by muegen:

They would have to tie in your distribution cable over to that other vrad for you to get service from it. This is 99% not going to happen. The only time you can usually switch VRADs is if your F2 runs by another F2 as well (like the edges of some neighborhoods) that's fed by another VRAD.

Yup. Agreed
TonyinOK

TonyinOK to TonyinOK

to TonyinOK
So I am screwed when it comes to U-Verse. Is that what the conclusion is?

So how about dsl? I'd be thrilled with 3/6mbps with dsl. From what I've read here, no vrad is required with dsl, correct? Assuming that is true, what seems to be the problem regarding why I'm not able to receive dsl? Sai is there, distribution line is there, what else is needed for that? Pots? I CAN order pots, but that's it.

I'm so tired of living without the net...

Milwaukee PT

Anon

DSL from CO is still limited by distance about 2.5 wiring miles....

Evidently you either did not read or do not want the AT&T option for 25% of footprint that cannot receive some form of Uverse. That is the mobility product, link below....
»www.att.com/cellphones/a ··· net.html

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South

skj to TonyinOK

Mod

to TonyinOK
AT&T is trying to rid itself of DSL. In my neighborhood, for example, once a DSL line is relinquished AT&T will not hook anyone else up to DSL. This is in spite of U-Verse not even being available in my neighborhood. I do, thankfully, have a cable option. The wireless option stinks because they really get you in terms of the very limited data they provide for the cost.

alchav
Saint George, UT

alchav to TonyinOK

to TonyinOK
said by TonyinOK:

So how about dsl? I'd be thrilled with 3/6mbps with dsl. From what I've read here, no vrad is required with dsl, correct? Assuming that is true, what seems to be the problem regarding why I'm not able to receive dsl? Sai is there, distribution line is there, what else is needed for that? Pots? I CAN order pots, but that's it.

I'm so tired of living without the net...

So what is AT&T telling you, and what do your neighbors have? Do you know where the C.O. is located, it might be too far for DSL. Also DSL equipment is obsolete, and that C.O. might have been upgraded and that equipment disconnected. So a demand for a new VRAD in your area has to be justified.
TonyinOK

TonyinOK to Milwaukee PT

to Milwaukee PT
While I did read your post, and clicked your link, I do need to apologize for not clarifying, one of my primary uses for the net will be for gaming. Hotspots and satellite are 100% useless to me. Perhaps if the latency and data caps were significantly improved, I would possibly consider.
TonyinOK

1 edit

TonyinOK to alchav

to alchav
AT&T is telling me no dsl, no U-Verse. Considering at best, the closest Vrad is 3/4 of a mile, I can understand not getting U-Verse (even though a bonded pair should get the job done). But no to dsl confuses me. Unless they are truly trying to phase it out. But what they don't understand is that to a LOT of people, dsl is NOT obsolete. I guess what they do understand is how to fill their pockets. And I won't contribute if that's what it comes down to....

Edit: I still don't know where my CO is...

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U

Premium Member

»/coinfo
TonyinOK

TonyinOK

That was freakin cool! But idk what it meant... It looks like there is only 1 in Norman - Southwestern Bell 26. But I can't get an address/location.
muegen
tx

muegen to TonyinOK

to TonyinOK
A bonded pair would not get the job done because that vrad does not tie into your f2 distribution cable at any point. Likely, you will have to wait for them to place a vrad at your sai on the NW corner of that intersectoin.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U to TonyinOK

Premium Member

to TonyinOK
Wow, I guess there is no address with that one. Most of the ones in IL have an address listed with them. I'll see if I can't dig up the address. It's most likely downtown
Gardentool
join:2013-01-18
Oklahoma City, OK

Gardentool to TonyinOK

to TonyinOK
With all the new greenfield construction that has been happening east of 24th street off of Alameda and Highway 9, it might be possible this equipment is solely to feed services to those new neighborhoods? AT&T has been known to pass many potential U-Verse customers just to get access to newer neighborhoods.

I think the CO might actually in downtown Norman on Gray. I do not remember the cross street off hand, but there is an AT&T building there. If I remember right it's fairly close to the downtown post office. It's definitely not within 2.5 miles of every place in Norman that ever had DSL offered, but it was pretty centralized at one time before all this new construction over the past 15 years or so.

I'm not in Norman but fairly close, and the ped in my backyard that feeds me FTTP looks the same as the picture you originally posted. It's raining right now so I don't want to go see exactly what it says but it does say either ONT or Fiber on the sticker.

alchav
Saint George, UT

alchav to TonyinOK

to TonyinOK
said by TonyinOK:

AT&T is telling me no dsl, no U-Verse. Considering at best, the closest Vrad is 3/4 of a mile, I can understand not getting U-Verse (even though a bonded pair should get the job done). But no to dsl confuses me. Unless they are truly trying to phase it out. But what they don't understand is that to a LOT of people, dsl is NOT obsolete. I guess what they do understand is how to fill their pockets. And I won't contribute if that's what it comes down to....

If your CO is near the Post Office in Norman, it looks like you are within 3 miles, so at the edge of DSL limits. They are telling you no DSL, so when your CO upgraded to U-Verse they did away with the DSL equipment. Older equipment takes up more space, and gets harder to maintain so they pull it out to make room for the new gear. Like I said, you have to talk to your neighbors or maybe stores or businesses along the path back to the CO. If you can find someone that has the Old DSL, and talk to some AT&T Techs to see if the CO still has that old equipment. You might be able to plead your case, but you have to be nice and make some friends. The only other way is for AT&T to put a VRAD near you, and you have to talk that up.
TonyinOK

TonyinOK to TonyinOK

to TonyinOK
Interesting info. Thanks everyone! Today I called again, and this time a person (not sure what position) actually suggested what I thought about before. I "ordered" pots and will consult a tech when they arrive.

I will post the results.

alchav
Saint George, UT

alchav

said by TonyinOK:

Interesting info. Thanks everyone! Today I called again, and this time a person (not sure what position) actually suggested what I thought about before. I "ordered" pots and will consult a tech when they arrive

Smart thinking, with a POTS Line you have the basics for Old DSL and if the equipment is there they can test your Line and possibly build DSL onto it. Keep your fingers crossed.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

1 recommendation

compuguybna to TonyinOK

to TonyinOK
Click for full size
Click for full size
this appears to be a "CO" where I live.
TonyinOK

TonyinOK to TonyinOK

to TonyinOK
Well, a technician came out this morning. I explained my situation, and he took his time and ACTUALLY evaluated my case. After looking at lots of info and schematics, he said "dude you should easily be able to get at least dsl." He went hunting for a RT nearby (that I was unaware of), looked at my crossbox, and returned after about 20 minutes.

He came with bad news...

Apparently the crossbox at 3601 Alameda is for pots only. And this RT he spoke of was a "ghost" and was nowhere to be found. He stated that I was in a very unusual "dead zone." He couldn't believe I was ineligible for anything, considering my proximity to everything. He took about 30 minutes talking with me about what my options were (more like weren't), and I once again came to a dead end. I asked if he knew of anyone higher up who may be able to help me. He gave the CYA answer of "maybe some of the engineers, but I wouldn't know how to contact them." I said I have one of their numbers, and said his name. He then threw the formalities out the window and said "Damn, you really are serious! How did you get his name, much less his number? Nevermind, I don't want to know, but that is definitely the guy who could make something happen. He's never in the office though...

So essentially I'm screwed, unless I get into the business of miracles, or come up with about $25k to run a mile's worth of F2 (his words). No hard wiring for me. PTP or WISP here I come