recoil
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Exton, PA

1 edit

recoil

Premium Member

[ONT] Ethernet only install

Hello, I am moving to West Chester, PA 19380 on Friday. Install is scheduled for Saturday. I came here because I don't know how to request an ethernet install vs. coax. We are getting internet only, no cable TV. We do not want the Verizon MOCA router, especially for $8 a month for Wireless G and 100Mbps ports. Home is already wired for FIOS.

I am planning on picking up a nighthawk since I will be on the third floor and want to go from the ONT straight to the nighthawk. I was doubting I would be able to get someone on the phone to help me with this, hopefully someone here can help. The install is under my room mate Emily's name, but I can get all of her information if needed.

Summary: Can someone help with an ethernet only install? Home is already wired for FIOS.
marc3565
join:2009-10-08

marc3565

From your phrasing i wanted to make sure you understand this site is not an official FIOS site and is where users help other users.

If there is an existing ethernet cable running from the ONT to where you want the router most techs will install it that way. Everyone at Verizon will insist you have an Actiontec router for the install. Several other posts on here about using your own router and your options.

recoil
Premium Member
Exton, PA

recoil

Premium Member

said by marc3565:

From your phrasing i wanted to make sure you understand this site is not an official FIOS site and is where users help other users.

If there is an existing ethernet cable running from the ONT to where you want the router most techs will install it that way. Everyone at Verizon will insist you have an Actiontec router for the install. Several other posts on here about using your own router and your options.

Hi Marc. Thanks for replying. I was hoping techs were browsing here like in the old days with DSL, I saw some old posts saying to post their question here about this topic.

I guess I'll have to pickup an old actiontec off ebay and bridge the nighthawk. That is very annoying that they require this, what a racket. My home install is still ethernet but I saw the posts online saying that people were having trouble doing this nowadays.
TheKnossos
join:2003-05-14
Timnath, CO

TheKnossos to recoil

to recoil
You may want to remove your address from your post. The »Verizon Direct forum is probably what you're looking for.

recoil
Premium Member
Exton, PA

recoil

Premium Member

said by TheKnossos:

You may want to remove your address from your post. The »Verizon Direct forum is probably what you're looking for.

Doh, blonde moment. Removed the address.
TheKnossos
join:2003-05-14
Timnath, CO

TheKnossos to recoil

to recoil
All good, it happens =)

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to recoil

MVM,

to recoil
said by recoil:

I guess I'll have to pickup an old actiontec off ebay and bridge the nighthawk. That is very annoying that they require this, what a racket. My home install is still ethernet but I saw the posts online saying that people were having trouble doing this nowadays.

You only need the actiontec for the initial install. It can be disconnected immediately after the technician leaves. If you run the Ethernet cable yourself, the tech will have no problem enabling the Ethernet port on the ONT during the install. Just be up-front and tell him what you want before he starts activating the service.

There's been one person (as far as I know) that was successful in refusing the Actiontec completely during installation, but that's probably not something to bet on.

recoil
Premium Member
Exton, PA

recoil

Premium Member

Interesting. I was reading stories where the tech refused to enable the ethernet port on the ONT. That's great news. I'll get some cat5 I should be able to run it myself. Thanks a lot!
gs0b
join:2014-08-14
Bucks, PA

gs0b to recoil

to recoil
FYI, the latest Actiontec router is 802.11n single band, 1G Ethernet. It's a decent device. The 802.11g, 100M router hasn't been installed by Verizon for many years.

The new Quantum router is an 802.11ac dual band, 1G Ethernet device. It too works quite well.

You can buy a new 802.11n Actiontec for $75 here:
»verizon.com/fiosaccessories

You can get a free ($6 S&H) 802.11g router from this page; it's called the WPA2 upgrade.

The Quatum is purchased from the main Verizon site or during the sign-up process. List price is currently $199. Some folks are getting free Quantum routers with upgrades to 75Mbps and higher tiers.

The choice between coax and Ethernet is made at install time. Tell the tech you want Ethernet and you'll get it. If you make it easy for the tech to use Ethernet, that will reduce or eliminate any problems.

My understanding is Verizon won't complete an install without one of their routers. So, you may need to rent one for a month or buy one through the various methods already suggested. Then, you can swap in your own router whenever you want.

A Verizon router is only required with TV service. You shouldn't need to bridge a Verizon router. Just remove it and plug in your own since you don't have TV.

Good Luck.

tito79
join:2010-03-14
Port Saint Lucie, FL

tito79 to recoil

to recoil
I believe they install either type at your request ethernet or coax.

recoil
Premium Member
Exton, PA

recoil to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
I have the 50M tier now with no router.

They offered us the 54G/100 for $8/mo and the 300N/1G for $10/mo and didn't offer us the Quantum. The N router is ok, but is not powerful enough for the third floor of the house I'm moving to.

I have the 50M service now at home and am cancelling my month to month. My room mate is transferring her service to our new address and they are generously letting her drop cable and have the 75/75 for $55/month to finish out her two year, but she has the old crappy router G and they are charging her $10 a month for it.
fcfc2
join:2014-05-17

fcfc2 to recoil

to recoil
Hi,
It's what you don't say that is important. Is there ethernet run from the ONT to where you want to setup your router? What speed / tier are you getting? The 150/150 and up require an ethernet install but on the lower tiers the standard install is via coax to a Verizon router. The newest one, the G1100 is a dual band AC unit with gigabit ports, it sells for $199, or rents for $10 per month. A step down would be the Actiontec M1424WR Rev. I, a single band "N" speed with gigabit ports. The Actiontec units can be purchased from the Fios Equipment and Accessory Store for $75+ shipping. They are cheaper off Ebay. The specs you mention are for the older Actiontec Revisions but these also can be bridged to support the lower speeds. There is some conflicting information regarding using an older Revison Actiontec for the initial install, information from the Direct forum says it is ok.
If you are going with the lower speed tiers, I would consider running your own Cat 6 from the ONT to where you want your router. Some recommending having some Verizon router handy for potential trouble shooting problems. If you go with the standard coax install initially, you can run ethernet later and call Verizon or use the Direct forum to have them switch over to ethernet.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to recoil

MVM,

to recoil
said by recoil:

I have the 50M tier now with no router.

They offered us the 54G/100 for $8/mo and the 300N/1G for $10/mo and didn't offer us the Quantum. The N router is ok, but is not powerful enough for the third floor of the house I'm moving to.

The rep was mistaken. The $8/month is for the Rev I. Actiontec (802.11n and 1Gbps). The $10/month is for the quantum gateway (802.11ac). They no longer give the 802.11g routers out to new customers.
praetoralpha
join:2005-08-06
Pittsburgh, PA

praetoralpha

said by Thinkdiff:

The rep was mistaken. The $8/month is for the Rev I. Actiontec (802.11n and 1Gbps). The $10/month is for the quantum gateway (802.11ac). They no longer give the 802.11g routers out to new customers.

I've had FIOS for almost 4 years, and I have never been charged for my basic Actiontec (802.11g) router. An initial call was needed to activate the ethernet port. I have, however, needed to call support about twice after speed changes defaulted the ONT back to coax.

recoil
Premium Member
Exton, PA

recoil

Premium Member

Interesting. Thank you everyone for contributing and helping me wrap my head around this. I'm going to call Verizon later.
nyrrule27
join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

nyrrule27

Per the new rules when you place an order they have 3 options. Rent, purchase, or supply your own. If they told you you had to get one from them they are wrong. And when the tech comes out, if it's an easy run the tech might run the ethernet for you. If not they mihgt charge you. Or you can have him install tour router near the ont and then yo can run the cable later

ENHERE
@verizon.net

ENHERE

Anon

I had the tech install Cat5e cable from my ONT in the garage about 70 feet to my office. Helped him run the cable thru the garage and down to my cellar and then up thru the wall to my office on the 1st floor. He provided the wall plate but I ran over to Home Depot and got a plastic communications back shell to go into my drywall rather than screwing the wall plate directly into the drywall. The cost for this was about $2 and I was not charged for running the EN cable. I left instructions with the rep when ordering that I wanted an EN install NOT coax. The tech had to reset the ONT to EN as it defaults to coax. Took about 10 minutes after mounting and powering up.

lovswr
join:2001-09-15
Riverview, FL

lovswr to gs0b

to gs0b
said by gs0b:

A Verizon router is only required with TV service. You shouldn't need to bridge a Verizon router. Just remove it and plug in your own since you don't have TV.

What if one has internet & home phone service? I just got this, two days ago, & it is an Actiontec MI424WR. The run is CAT5 from the ONT. If I understand what you wrote, the router is only needed for Internet? Thus I can remove the verizon supplied router & use my own (& get rid of the $8 dollar fee as well)? It would seem that the phone services are "backhauled" from the ONT directly into the existing inside RJ-11 wiring.

recoil
Premium Member
Exton, PA

recoil

Premium Member

said by lovswr:

said by gs0b:

What if one has internet & home phone service? I just got this, two days ago, & it is an Actiontec MI424WR. The run is CAT5 from the ONT. If I understand what you wrote, the router is only needed for Internet? Thus I can remove the verizon supplied router & use my own (& get rid of the $8 dollar fee as well)? It would seem that the phone services are "backhauled" from the ONT directly into the existing inside RJ-11 wiring.

You should be fine. Just call and ask them to switch over to Cat 5 and return the router.

I opted for coax since the cable would have been hard to run, and they ended up giving us the N router for free. We have the 75/75 plan.

It is possible I may try ethernet in the future, I am only achieving 83/72. Even on the gigabit port for some reason I can't achieve 75 upload. Very frustrating. My last two households both surpassed upload and download. This is brand new coax also with no splitters since we don't have cable. All of the ends are terminated properly...???
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY

gadgetboyj to lovswr

Premium Member

to lovswr
said by lovswr:

said by gs0b:

Just make sure if you return your router, you get a receipt stating you returned it. You want to be able to prove to them that you did in fact take it back in case they decide not to take the rental fee off of your account.