uniqs

MineCoast
Premium Member
join:2004-10-06
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast

Premium Member

Returning iPhone User

I was a diehard iPhone user from 2008 until 2012, owning the 3G and 4 during this time. I believe the last iOS I used was iOS 4 or 5, so needless to say, a lot has changed. As soon as the iPhone 6 Plus was released, I ordered it for my mom as she had been having issues with battery life and sluggish on her Samsung Galaxy and ever since I have switched her, she has been in love with the iPhone, as have I. It seems like the iPhone has come such a long way since I have previously used it.

I ordered an iPhone 6 Plus last night for myself which should be here soon. I do need an app suggestion however, if this is possible. I currently have an LG G2 which has a OSP program I can install on my computer which allows me to "remote desktop" into my phone and send/receive texts, use apps, etc. This is great for when I am at work and need to send/respond to apps, ignore calls, use various apps via my desktop computer instead of using my phone and makes it nice for copy/paste as well. I've attached a screenshot for reference. Is there anything like this for iPhone? I can probably live without the "remote desktop" interface, but it would be nice to be able to send/receive texts from my desktop.

Also, any other suggestions would be great as well for a returning iPhone user

Thanks in advance!

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

No such app for the iPhone, but there is a way to send & receive calls, texts, it requires a Mac however.

MineCoast
Premium Member
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast

Premium Member

Hmm.... How about this?

»itunes.apple.com/us/app/ ··· 779?mt=8

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by MineCoast:

Hmm.... How about this?

»itunes.apple.com/us/app/ ··· 779?mt=8

Umm, did you read the reviews?

MineCoast
Premium Member
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast

Premium Member

I can only see 3 reviews. Anyway... I'm hoping it will work but we'll see. This is one reason why I haven't given up my LG, because of the OSP program. However, my LG is suffering from slowness, battery life issues, and being hot to the touch even after factory resetting and not restoring anything back to the phone, so figured would be a perfect time to switch. I really like the iPhone 6 Plus. This is just one of those drawbacks I guess

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to MineCoast

to MineCoast
There might be something like this if you jailbreak it.

MineCoast
Premium Member
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast

Premium Member

I'm sure there would be, but I don't jailbreak/root/mod any of my devices/software.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

said by MineCoast:

I'm sure there would be, but I don't jailbreak/root/mod any of my devices/software.

Your loss...

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to MineCoast

Premium Member

to MineCoast
I am not aware of any remote desktop apps to get to the iOS home screen from another computer. iOS does support text/mms/iMessage from your desktop or laptop, only catch for now at least is those have to be Macs.
modelamac7
join:2002-04-13
Waterford, MI

modelamac7 to MineCoast

to MineCoast
Learn about Handoff/Continuity. It does require a Mac and Yosemite.

MineCoast
Premium Member
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast

Premium Member

I've actually been thinking about picking up a Mac... so that is an option at least.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by MineCoast:

I've actually been thinking about picking up a Mac... so that is an option at least.

I recently got a MacBook Air and overall, I'm happy with it, primarily because of the nice integration with iOS (I've had every other iPhone since the first so I guess it was time to drink the Kool-Aid).

My next desktop will most likely be an iMac...

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick to TheTechGuru

Premium Member

to TheTechGuru
How is it his loss? I haven't rooted my devices since I had the HTC Vivid, and I had plenty of devices since then but now using the Nexus 6.

MineCoast
Premium Member
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast

Premium Member

Agree'd. I like using my devices/programs as intended by the developer, as soon as you start modifying it from stock, it's like opening a can of worms, such as new security risks, more things to break, etc. If Apple doesn't want us to "remote desktop" into our phones, then so be it... it is what it is and they have their reason and I respect that.

It's just a shame as this is a limitation I'm going to have to work around as this is a feature I have used for over a year and use on a daily basis... but, it is what it is. There are so many things I do not like about my android that this is something I can live with.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

1 recommendation

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by MineCoast:

as soon as you start modifying it from stock, it's like opening a can of worms, such as new security risks, more things to break, etc.

I've jailbroken every iphone I've had except the current one (including the very first iPhone which you actually COULD brick if you weren't careful). Never had an issue with security, never pirated software, and enjoyed numerous features and functionality over the years not available on stock iOS. No regrets.

MineCoast
Premium Member
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast

Premium Member

YMMV. I have a coworker who jailbroke his iPhone 6 Plus and reports that it's slower, etc now. I also tried jailbreaking my older iPhone's several times, and had issues installing legit apps as they would throw an error saying the app couldn't be installed on a jailbroken phone, and I also suffered from performance/stability issues.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

HiVolt

Premium Member

I've been jailbreaking iPhones since my first 3G.

That was the only phone that suffered with the jailbreak, due to its limited memory.

Since then I've ran jailbreaks on all phones and iOS versions. I don't do crazy shit, whacky themes or real outrageous mods.

I just do little tweaks and hacks that let me do things that Apple refuses to let me do.

My phone looks and feels exactly the same as a stock iPhone. In fact I just rebooted it after 45 days of uptime because i updated one of the JB tweaks that needed a complete reboot (not respring).