mlr_90
Premium Member
join:2006-10-29
Ridgeway, VA

1 edit

mlr_90

Premium Member

[Install] Comcast Plant Extension

OK...So after 15 years of trying to get cable, I finally have what I think is a reasonable plant extension cost. They started out 5 years ago wanting $65,000 to run cable to my house. Fast forward to Feb 2015 and the price has dropped to $17,000 of which I'm responsible for $8000. I email corporate and the call. We argue and the send someone out from construction(they've already done site surveys). Total cost now is $3,350 for a 1200' extension. How does this sound?

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

Re: Comcast Plant Extension

Jump on it!!!
mlr_90
Premium Member
Ridgeway, VA

mlr_90

Premium Member

My only real problem with this is that they are going to pass three other residences to get to my house. I asked them that if these residents decided they wanted to get cable six months from now would they be charged a connection fee. It doesn't seem fair for me to pay for the plant extension and then someone else benefit from it. I know there's no way they'd split the extension cost. I guess if I want it bad enough I'll just have to deal with that possibility.
bennypete
Premium Member
join:2014-10-06
Hanover, PA

bennypete to mlr_90

Premium Member

to mlr_90
Normally there is a deduction already factored into your cost for each home passed, so you are already benefiting whether they actually sign up or not.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew to mlr_90

Premium Member

to mlr_90
Going rate is usually around $5 per foot so your last quote is a great deal.
mlr_90
Premium Member
Ridgeway, VA

mlr_90

Premium Member

Thanks. I thought it was a great deal considering the original quote. Trying to get them to send an invoice to get it going.

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium Member
join:2005-06-21
Seattle, WA

WiFiguru to mlr_90

Premium Member

to mlr_90

Re: [Install] Comcast Plant Extension

Yep! Jump on it now while you can. If you wait too long, the price will probably go away.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to mlr_90

to mlr_90
Good luck to you. I hope it all works out well and you enjoy the service. You've waited long enough.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to mlr_90

Premium Member

to mlr_90

Apologies for the late reply....

I looked at it this way. They wanted $65,000, then $17,000 which you had to cough up $8,000 and now they have dropped to $3,350. You aren't going to get them any lower and compared to what they originally wanted, it is a steal. Or, you could just that $3,350 for the cost of you dial-up or satellite internet.
ualdayan
join:2004-07-17
Antioch, TN

ualdayan to mlr_90

to mlr_90

Now, I've always wondered - I've had to have them replace my drop before when squirrels gnaw on the cable and water runs down inside the cable. When it's a 1200' cable coming to your home - what happens when something damages the cable somewhere along the line to you?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew

Premium Member

The damaged part is cut out and replaced with new cable or the whole cable is replaced if damaged enough.

Tyler
join:2010-06-04
North East, PA

Tyler to ualdayan

to ualdayan
I don't believe they are running a 1200' drop to his house, but rather extending the plant to his house, then running a drop from the pole to his house.
mlr_90
Premium Member
Ridgeway, VA

mlr_90

Premium Member

The check was sent last week. Now I guess we'll see how long I have to wait.

maxbrando
Premium Member
join:2014-06-01

maxbrando to Tyler

Premium Member

to Tyler
said by Tyler:

then running a drop from the pole to his house.

or pedestal
JohnShade
join:2009-03-07
Pearland, TX

JohnShade to ualdayan

to ualdayan
It's a Comcast issue.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to ualdayan

Premium Member

to ualdayan
The original costs covers all future problems. Once your connected anything outside the house is comcasts responsibility to repair.
mlr_90
Premium Member
Ridgeway, VA

mlr_90

Premium Member

Looks like I'm a month out. Construction supervisor said it was in design and they are waiting on DOT permit. 1200' underground. I figured some of this would be aerial.

landrover
join:2013-09-17
Martinsburg, WV

landrover to mlr_90

to mlr_90
That's great, Keep the thread updated, I'd like to see the extension.
I tried getting one that covers 8 houses and they want $34k.
Won't budge on it at all.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to mlr_90

Premium Member

to mlr_90
said by mlr_90:

I figured some of this would be aerial.

Well Aerial cost more in the long run (atleast around here) seems aerial costs rent per pole per month and underground is a one time permit fee to list the info in the 811 records.

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium Member
join:2003-09-18
Lard

THZNDUP to mlr_90

Premium Member

to mlr_90

My only real problem with this is that they are going to pass three other residences to get to my house. I asked them that if these residents decided they wanted to get cable six months from now would they be charged a connection fee. It doesn't seem fair for me to pay for the plant extension and then someone else benefit from it. I know there's no way they'd split the extension cost. I guess if I want it bad enough I'll just have to deal with that possibility

You said you asked 'them' (guessing Comcast), what did they say?

Is it possible that your charges now take additional requests for service after 5yrs from your neighbors into account hence the lowering of of your portion of the charges? Ask 'them',( your neighbors.)

Your reduction could also be based upon a calculated chance made by Comcast that a percentage of your neighbors will hook up eventually and that has been figured in already. If not you would just have to wait until there are enough homes passed for Comcast to eat the cost themselves as a prudent financial decision.
mlr_90
Premium Member
Ridgeway, VA

mlr_90

Premium Member

Well...here it is May 8th and I have flags coming down the road and the utilities have been marked. I have two gentlemen stop by from Comcast today to apologize for the delay. I appears the the person originally in charge of the construction is no longer with the company and these two will be overseeing the extension. To top it off, He shows me the map that he has that has all the other residences on the road that could be serviceable from the road. Now they are saying that they are looking at servicing the whole road. So...I'm like "my $3500 is helping to service the whole road huh?" The guy is like "what $3500 dollars? You've already paid for the extension?" I tell him that I paid for the plant extension to MY house. He said he was going to look into it. He agreed that it wasn't right. Could have a refund coming my way? Hopefully. Either way, I'm not backing out of the deal. If I have to pay it then so be it. My family pretty much owns the road . They say hopefully no more than thirty days

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk

I hope you get a refund plus the service to your house. Either it's a win win. Keep us posted.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to mlr_90

Premium Member

to mlr_90
The guys that come out dont know jack about the cost you paid. Your 3500 got the ball rolling. Thats just the way it is. I doubt a refund will be coming.
mlr_90
Premium Member
Ridgeway, VA

mlr_90

Premium Member

The guy that was over construction before had his name on the invoice so they do have something to to do with it. It even had his cell number on it. These guys are taking over and going through the paperwork. I know I'll probably never see the money. You'd better believe that if the whole road gets it on my dime, the county and the local newspaper will get wind of it. I guess if I don't get anything back this will be my contribution to my neighborhood. Lol
Expand your moderator at work

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad to mlr_90

MVM

to mlr_90

said by mlr_90:

I guess if I don't get anything back this will be my contribution to my neighborhood. Lol

Well then, maybe you can deduct part of the cost from next year's taxes as a (neighborhood) charitable expense.

Otherwise, yes, you'll be forever known that "nice guy down the street who got us cable."

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Zenit_IIfx to mlr_90

Premium Member

to mlr_90
I am sure you are aware how much it sucks when there is no wireline broadband in an area.

Your neighbors better throw a party for you once this is all set up, you have earned it! Hell, they should chip into that $3500, when divided among a few people the costs plummet.

$3500 is a great bargain to get service, its so difficult at times to get extensions done as you have learned.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to mlr_90

Premium Member

to mlr_90
said by mlr_90:

Well...here it is May 8th .... I appears the the person originally in charge of the construction is no longer with the company and these two will be overseeing the extension. Now they are saying that they are looking at servicing the whole road. So...I'm like "my $3500 is helping to service the whole road huh?" The guy is like "what $3500 dollars? You've already paid for the extension?" I tell him that I paid for the plant extension to MY house. He said he was going to look into it. He agreed that it wasn't right.

I wonder how many missing $3500 payments are missing and if that is whythe original guy is no longer with Comcast?
mlr_90
Premium Member
Ridgeway, VA

mlr_90

Premium Member

Well... The payment went to Maryland so I don't know. At the bottom it said if I had questions to call the guy in charge of the construction and have his cell number.
mlr_90

mlr_90

Premium Member

Click for full size
Getting closer