uniqs

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc

Roughly 800 feet from cable broadband: need ideas & lingo

Click for full size
Click for full size
I'm trying to help a friend get cable broadband to the property she just purchased. She has a ton of acreage, but she's a bit over 800 feet from a subdivision where cable is offered. My friend is hoping the company will just run a line to her place, but I highly doubt it unless they were compensated. I've seen DSLR threads (can't find them now) of parties erecting temporary power poles with an electric meter/solar, demarc, and waterproof box to house a cable modem. I'd like help with the best plan of attack to make this happen. If you can clue me in on the lingo I need to know for the cable company or others, I'd appreciate it. I think she'd be willing to spend a few thousand, if need be.

The property adjacent to the road is not hers, but she is on good terms with the neighbor and could work something out more than likely. The second image with the green is a wetlands map. I believe the area is dry, but I'm including it in case some regulation may apply.

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby

First thing, ask the cable company.

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON

1 recommendation

Brano to bbbc

MVM

to bbbc
Second thing, read through this »[Connection Sharing] Need to know best way to get internet 1,000 ft
pb2k
join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB

pb2k

The question is, how tall are those trees? With a 5ghz bridge you'd want the antennas at least 10ft higher than the trees to to get good RF LoS (google freshnel zone calculator to get a more precise value).

keyboard5684
Sam
join:2001-08-01
Pittsburgh, PA

keyboard5684 to bbbc

to bbbc
Since they are on good terms with the property owner in between, just run fiber across the property to a box across the street from the subdivison. Everyone is quick to suggest wireless because it is easier, but fiber is considerably more reliable with a ton of other advantages.
tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

1 recommendation

tomdlgns

Premium Member

said by keyboard5684:

Since they are on good terms with the property owner in between, just run fiber across the property to a box across the street from the subdivison.

yup, i'd get a quote for directional boring 6 strands of multi mode fiber.

might cost more money up front (depends what is needed to get wireless working), but less headaches, better security and (as stated) more reliable (and faster).
pb2k
join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB

pb2k

said by tomdlgns:

yup, i'd get a quote for directional boring 6 strands of multi mode fiber.

That would add another zero to the end of the price tag. If you want to trench anything, rent a ditch witch. I'd also go SM fiber, as GPON will probably become available sometime in the next 100 years.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to bbbc

MVM

to bbbc
quote:
My friend is hoping the company will just run a line to her place, but I highly doubt it unless they were compensated.
Yea - they aren't going to do it for one house. Even if it was a group of houses it would be in the 5 figures at least. And that would be for a straight shot from the street to a house and no trees in the way.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7 to bbbc

to bbbc
I think the most poignant question would be what price point you're reaching for. Also, what are her needs? High bandwidth? Any VPN's where latency might cause problems? Etc

bbbc
NorthAmerica

1 edit

bbbc

Click for full size
Potential path?
Click for full size
Trees
said by toby :

First thing, ask the cable company.

My friend told me she asked the cableco and they told her $500, which is a figure I'd jump at. Unfortunately, I don't know anything more specific than that. When I made an inquiry with the cableco, I was told (by a call center CSR) my friend's place is a ½ mile away and they'd have someone call me back, which hasn't happened. I think I need to try to touch base with the cablco's local linemen / management in-person.
said by Brano :

Second thing, read through this

Read that thread before posting this. I need to find picture examples and threads to show my friend. If anyone has pix of a Wi-Fi scenario and one of fiber being trenched (amateur rural residential), I'd appreciate it.
said by pb2k :

The question is, how tall are those trees?

From the looks of it, tall enough to be a hassle. I have not been to the property yet.
said by keyboard5684 :

Since they are on good terms with the property owner in between, just run fiber across the property to a box across the street from the subdivison. Everyone is quick to suggest wireless because it is easier, but fiber is considerably more reliable with a ton of other advantages.

I don't know if my friend could support a Wi-Fi setup if there were problems in the future / down the road. Fiber looks like a pain in the ass to install, but I think I may have found a path that's already a quarter clear (horizontal red line) if you look at the second pic in this post. The thin red line is the boundaries of her property.
said by pb2k :

If you want to trench anything, rent a ditch witch. I'd also go SM fiber

Her cousin builds houses, so he may be able to help with the ditch. She also has 30 year olds on the payroll, so they could be the grunt help theoretically. Since I'm clueless with regards to fiber, can you link me (URL) please to the appropriate fiber spool. Do you have to protect the fiber with an additional jacket barrier? I read you need to use sand because of rock movement.
said by CylonRed :

Yea - they aren't going to do it for one house. Even if it was a group of houses it would be in the 5 figures at least. And that would be for a straight shot from the street to a house and no trees in the way.

I'm hoping she understands this.
said by Hard Harry :

I think the most poignant question would be what price point you're reaching for. Also, what are her needs? High bandwidth? Any VPN's where latency might cause problems?

She hasn't mentioned a budget, but I have a feeling she would spend a few thousand to make something happen. Her needs businesswise are fairly simple - email, web, and basic uploading. I do know that I got her hooked on Roku a few years back, so streaming is where we'd get into trouble. Because she has two young men at her place that like to download, this is another bandwidth concern. Latency isn't an issue since she uses cell instead of VoIP, but I have no clue if the guys play games. I do think she'd go wacko with satellite broadband's high price and caps.

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

said by bbbc:

My friend told me she asked the cableco and they told her $500

Take that offer and run! I highly doubt you will get anything close to that DIY. Just the trench digging equipment is like 200$ a day, and any decent outdoor wifi solution will probably cost way more then that. Why didn't she grab the offer if she is willing to pay thousands?

bbbc
NorthAmerica

bbbc

said by Hard Harry :

Take that offer and run! I highly doubt you will get anything close to that DIY.

In total agreement, but this is what she told me in a quick conversation and the cableco's online notes don't seem to reflect any figure / dollar amount.

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

Another thing to consider is upkeep. If ISP builds it and storm comes through, your covered. If you build it, then it's your sweat and money that is on the line. Not such an issue with fiber, but something to consider none the less.

Off topic, her ISP allows the viewing of account notes online? I wish my ISP did that. I can only imagine some of the stuff they wrote on my account. LOL