North York, ON

2 recommendations

resa1983

Premium Member

Rogers Executive Calls on Canadian Government to Shut Down VPNs

Another great story from Michael Geist:
»www.michaelgeist.ca/2015 ··· ut-vpns/
quote:
According to Kelly Lynne Ashton, a media policy expert, Purdy called on the Canadian government to shut down the use of virtual private networks:
quote:
Conference organizers posted yet another tweet, this one involving Purdy lamenting the inability to block over-the-top video services
quote:
If Rogers is upset over VPN use to access U.S. Netflix, it should take it up with Netflix. Instead, focusing on consumer VPN use by suggesting that the solution lies in blocking legal technologies in order to stop consumer access is a dangerous one.
Yet more to dislike/hate Rogers for (your choice).

Acrimonius
join:2014-12-06

Acrimonius

As usual, Rogers is just lamenting the fact that Shomi is a flop as everyone knew it would be.

Rogers obviously has a lot more to worry about than VPN's and Netflix these days. Certainly looks like Bell Crave has cornered the market for streaming video in Canada. Bell really has done their homework on this one. Every great show imaginable is available with Bell Crave.

Rogers Shomi lineup is about as lame as it gets. Kiddie shows and Chick flics. But then after Rogers recent CGN3 and Nextbox 3 disasters it's no surprise Shomi is on it's way down the Crapper also. It's only a matter of time..........

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to resa1983

Premium Member

to resa1983
Good luck banning VPNs...

They need to resolve the root issue and not go after the what they perceive as "fixes".

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

Blocking VPNs lol... Good luck to them, that will never happen.

How about Rogers fixes their terrible/broken services so that people actually want to use them.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

1 recommendation

HELLFIRE to resa1983

MVM

to resa1983
...sounds like a bunch of whining and thumbsucking to me... when's the last time ANYONE successfully legislated a
technology to oblivion?

Also, the ignorance shown by Kelly Lynne Ashton is incredulous.. but not unexpected by someone who's seen this type
on the other side of the helpdesk, usually along the lines of "it doesn't work, FIX IT!" Moron...

Regards

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to resa1983

Premium Member

to resa1983
They should just cut to the chase and ask to cut all the wires at the border so they can create a properly licensed Canadian Internet, overseen by Bell and Rogers.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to resa1983

Premium Member

to resa1983
Fuck you rogers worker. this part also I find funny take it up your ass but leave the net alone. I will watch what I want when I want.

quote:
If Rogers is upset over VPN use to access U.S. Netflix, it should take it up with Netflix. Instead, focusing on consumer VPN use by suggesting that the solution lies in blocking legal technologies in order to stop consumer access is a dangerous one.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to resa1983

Premium Member

to resa1983
Fuck Rogers is all I can say

TFA's - total fucking assholes
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to Acrimonius

Premium Member

to Acrimonius
Don't forget that $5 billion elephant in the room called NHL hockey. I read elsewhere viewership isn't as good as they had predicted. Advertisers won't put up with that for too long.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to resa1983

Premium Member

to resa1983
Well that's amusing seeing as most people access US-Netflix through DNS redirection and not a VPN.

VPNs are useful security tools, but not really the best way to access a foreign version Netflix.

I also hope Purdy chokes on his prime-rib tonight.

EQ
taraf
join:2011-05-07
Ottawa, ON

taraf

If VPN's are the reason that Shomi is losing money, how come Crave's making a profit? (and Crave is already carried by Eastlink, so I figure it's only a matter of time before everybody has it).

Also... what about business uses for VPN? lol... never fly....

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by taraf:

If VPN's are the reason that Shomi is losing money, how come Crave's making a profit?

I would assume the refusal to sell it to the general public is one reason it's losing money
Dunlop
join:2011-07-13

Dunlop to resa1983

to resa1983
I look at the CraveTV and Shomi catalogue, if Bell and Rogers would have joined forces they truly would have had a "Netflix killer" as there is content that is not on the US Netflix or even Hulu Plus.

Give a competative product and people might not want to deal with the hassle of VPN's or DNS redirection and sign up.
analog andy
join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC

3 recommendations

analog andy

said by Dunlop:

I look at the CraveTV and Shomi catalogue, if Bell and Rogers would have joined forces they truly would have had a "Netflix killer" as there is content that is not on the US Netflix or even Hulu Plus.

Give a competative product and people might not want to deal with the hassle of VPN's or DNS redirection and sign up.

I would still have used Netflix and a DNS service so that none of those companies got a penny from me.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

I just find it ironic that the same day the US gets Net Neutrality rules, a Rogers exec (Rogers being known in the past for Net Neutrality violations) essentially calls for a rollback on our Net Neutrality rules.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

Don't hold back, now.

How do you REALLY feel ?

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

said by MaynardKrebs:

Don't hold back, now.

How do you REALLY feel ?

LOL he's just saying what everyone, and I mean every last person in Canada has been thinking now for decades.

argDistiller
@pppoe.ca

argDistiller to HELLFIRE

Anon

to HELLFIRE
quote:
Re: Rogers Executive Calls on Canadian Government to Shut Down VPNs
...sounds like a bunch of whining and thumbsucking to me... when's the last time ANYONE successfully legislated atechnology to oblivion?

Also, the ignorance shown by Kelly Lynne Ashton is incredulous.. but not unexpected by someone who's seen this type
on the other side of the helpdesk, usually along the lines of "it doesn't work, FIX IT!" Moron...

Regards

ummmh Prohibition?

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to HELLFIRE

Premium Member

to HELLFIRE
said by HELLFIRE:

I gave a peek to her blog and read a few of her tweets during this whole dust up, don't confuse her with the people she's retweeting.

I find her publication work to be pretty mainstream, but I don't have evidence of outright ignorance and/or stupidity.

EQ

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to HELLFIRE

Premium Member

to HELLFIRE
Aero that's when!

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to Dunlop

Premium Member

to Dunlop
I looked at the CraveTV web-site after this thread and man I'd pay 9 a month for it they got some good stuff on there. To bad I don't want TV so no go for me.
69230940 (banned)
join:2014-12-10

69230940 (banned)

said by TOPDAWG:

I looked at the CraveTV web-site after this thread and man I'd pay 9 a month for it they got some good stuff on there. To bad I don't want TV so no go for me.

Not the $9/month that would kill ya, it's having to sign on with Bhell that would!! Might as well sell your soul now!

Then, in another 6 months, they triple the price of Crave!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to mr weather

Premium Member

to mr weather
said by mr weather:

Don't forget that $5 billion elephant in the room called NHL hockey. I read elsewhere viewership isn't as good as they had predicted. Advertisers won't put up with that for too long.

Advertisers don't care, its about add costs.
Rogers promised advertisers 20% rise in viewership over CBC and charged accordingly.

Not only did they not get the 20% but they fell below CBC',s numbers.

So in TV parlance they now have to ",make good" which means making up for the difference in free advertising.

That in turn reduces paid ad time, costing them money.
And this is only year one.

Treegravy
Premium Member
join:2011-04-21
Canada

Treegravy to resa1983

Premium Member

to resa1983
If any Rogers social media types are reading this: That guy that called in to laugh at your "deal" in the mailbox? That was me. Nyah nyah.
LastDon
join:2002-08-13

LastDon to resa1983

to resa1983
why the EU will always be ahead in their thinking

»torrentfreak.com/eu-comm ··· -150227/

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Acrimonius

Premium Member

to Acrimonius
said by Acrimonius:

Rogers obviously has a lot more to worry about than VPN's and Netflix these days. Certainly looks like Bell Crave has cornered the market for streaming video in Canada. Bell really has done their homework on this one. Every great show imaginable is available with Bell Crave.

Crave will end up being just as much of a flop. Just give it some time.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by Gone:

said by Acrimonius:

Crave will end up being just as much of a flop. Just give it some time.

If the continue to insist upon tying it to a cable/fibe supscription

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Exactly. And it's easy to claim you're making a profit when you're bundling the service with anything you can and taking the profit from the other bundled services on the balance sheet. Rogers and Shaw don't have that same luxury.
taraf
join:2011-05-07
Ottawa, ON

taraf

said by Gone:

Exactly. And it's easy to claim you're making a profit when you're bundling the service with anything you can and taking the profit from the other bundled services on the balance sheet. Rogers and Shaw don't have that same luxury.

I doubt Bell's stupid enough to insist on tying it to a cable TV subscription if that stops being profitable... I mean, weirder things can happen I guess, but I'd be very surprised.

Also, according to their shareholder statement, Crave is under the Bell Media umbrella, which is a different part of the org from Bell TV. The service itself is turning a profit, regardless of what it's tied to (witness the fact that it's being carried by non-Bell TV providers like Eastlink and Telus).
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to resa1983

MVM

to resa1983
@argDistiller
....yeah, and remember how long that lasted?

@El Quintron See Profile
Not saying she's outright one, but on this particular topic

Whatever, they can talk about it all they want, but this ain't going to go anywhere IMO...

Regards