... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

lutful

Premium Member

Atheists are being brutally murdered

US-Bangladeshi scientist Dr. Avijit Roy, author of Bishwasher Virus (A Virus called Religion) and prominent Atheist blogger, has been hacked to death near Dhaka University campus while returning from a popular liberal book fair.

This article provides in-depth information: »www.dnaindia.com/world/r ··· -2064779

Avijit Roy is the third blogger/ author who has been attacked by Islamic fundamentalists. Way back in 2004, writer Humayun Azad was similarly attacked in the Dhaka book fair premises. Couple of years back, blogger Rajib Ahmed, ... was killed by hardliners. According to police, the modus operandi in Avijit's case bears uncanny resemblance to those incidents.

Some older leaders of the (currently moderate) islamic party had vehemently opposed the liberation war of 1971 which created Bangladesh from East Pakistan. Some elements of that party were responsible for mass murder.

That party is being attacked relentlessly by the secular government and large majority of the population, with several politically convenient executions. There was also a sham election in January 2014 without the main opposition nationalist party.

Such background is allowing extremists to gain recruits in a traditionally liberal society, which is very different from Pakistan.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

2 recommendations

Snakeoil

Premium Member

After the attack on that French newspaper. I recall the Pope, and a few Muslim Clerics saying that when it comes to religion, there should be/is no freedom of speech.
Meaning if you disrespect their god, then you should be punished for it.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

lutful

Premium Member

In Myanmar, buddhist monks are leading the attacks on Rohingya muslim population.

Hindu fundamentalists, who caused mayhem against Indian muslims during their last tenure, are again in power in India.

Africa has ruthless extremists like the Lord's Resistance Army who claim to be christians, and the christian rebels in Central African Republic are committing genocide against their muslim population.

*** Fundamentalists of any religion hate "freedom FROM religion" even more than "freedom OF religion".
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by lutful:

*** Fundamentalists of any religion hate "freedom FROM religion" even more than "freedom OF religion".

Those darn Christians and their First Amendment, fundamentalist assholes, huh?

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

2 recommendations

BonezX to lutful

Premium Member

to lutful
said by lutful:

Because if your not with us, your against us.

That sorta sounds like a foreign policy statement.

But seriously, you shouldn't be able to define the government of a nation by a religion, that just leads to issues regardless(also allows them to claim your denying their religious right to be a bunch of assholes).

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

said by BonezX:

said by lutful:

Because if your not with us, your against us.

That sorta sounds like a foreign policy statement.

But seriously, you shouldn't be able to define the government of a nation by a religion, that just leads to issues regardless(also allows them to claim your denying their religious right to be a bunch of assholes).

especially in a country that claims to be a "melting pot" of all cultures and their religions.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

DrStrange to lutful

Premium Member

to lutful
Somehow I'm not surprised that I haven't heard any credible reports of mobs of atheist/humanist extremists burning down churches and killing religious leaders/activists. They mostly only flame and maim on Twitter [or late-night talk shows]. I'm also not surprised that even the most violent Pagan [i.e. Nature-worshipping] extremists only destroy property and have a stated prohibition against harming people or animals. Wiccan extremists generally use magic, so I'm not sure you can identify anything they might be responsible for unless you can sense the magic. I am surprised at the Buddhists in Myanmar. I think the conclusion one can draw from all this is:

Religion isn't the problem. Extremism is the problem.

I've seen bumper stickers that read: "The last time we mixed religion and politics, people got burned at the stake". It's happening again. We need to stop it. Everyone in the world has a responsibility to rise up against the extremists and say 'STOP!'. If we all do this at once, they don't have a chance against us.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

FBI team is in Dhaka, collecting evidence.

»www.theindependentbd.com ··· emid=121
pauldenton
join:2003-12-20
London

1 recommendation

pauldenton to DrStrange

to DrStrange
said by DrStrange :
Somehow I'm not surprised that I haven't heard any credible reports of mobs of atheist/humanist extremists burning down churches and killing religious leaders/activists.
hmm - that would rather depend how far back one is willing to go.....
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De ··· volution

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
Bristol, CT

DrStrange

Premium Member

That's true, and it's also true of various Communist regimes in the last century. I suppose I should have specified 'in recent times'.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

also depends on what you define as Atheist.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
Bristol, CT

DrStrange

Premium Member

Atheist = doesn't believe in the existence of a deity. Is there another definition?
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

said by DrStrange:

Atheist = doesn't believe in the existence of a deity. Is there another definition?

We need a new term between Agnostic and Atheist.

Many people simply want to live a peaceful and productive life on earth, free from any discussion of god or afterlife.

I took my son to a few "humanist" meetings ... and they talk even more about religion!
pauldenton
join:2003-12-20
London

1 recommendation

pauldenton to DrStrange

to DrStrange
said by Collins Dictionary, American English :
noun

a person who believes that there is no God

an atheist rejects all religious belief and denies the existence of God; an agnostic questions the existence of God, heaven, etc. in the absence of material proof and in unwillingness to accept supernatural revelation; deist, a historical term, was applied to 18th-cent. rationalists who believed in God as a creative, moving force but who otherwise rejected formal religion and its doctrines of revelation, divine authority, etc.; freethinker, the current parallel term, similarly implies rejection of the tenets and traditions of formal religion as incompatible with reason; unbeliever is a more negative term, simply designating, without further qualification, one who does not accept any religious belief; infidel is applied to a person not believing in a certain religion or the prevailing religion
said by Collins Dictionary, British English :
noun

a person who does not believe in God or gods

»www.collinsdictionary.co ··· /english

their US english definition implies an active belief there is no god, whereas the British English definition is a passive failure to actively believe in any 1(+)

whereas
said by Oxford Dictionary, British & world english OR US english :
noun
A person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods:
»www.oxforddictionaries.c ··· /atheist

for "agnostic"
said by Collins Dictionary, American English :
noun

a person who believes that the human mind cannot know whether there is a God or an ultimate cause, or anything beyond material phenomena

said by Collins Dictionary, British English :
noun

1. a person who holds that knowledge of a Supreme Being, ultimate cause, etc, is impossible Compare atheist, theist
2. a person who claims, with respect to any particular question, that the answer cannot be known with certainty

»www.collinsdictionary.co ··· /english
said by Oxford Dictionary, British & world english :
A person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God.
»www.oxforddictionaries.c ··· agnostic
but
said by Oxford Dictionary, US english :
noun
A person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.
»www.oxforddictionaries.c ··· agnostic

"Agnostic" is a much more recent word, first coined by T.H.Huxley circa 1869 - first appearance in print in an article: "The Theological Statute at Oxford" in The Spectator, May 29, 1869 (p. 642), written by someone else......
»archive.spectator.co.uk/ ··· t-oxford

- Atheist is a much older term
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

Click for full size
Another blogger has been hacked to death, even more brutally. Two perpetrators were caught red handed, literally, but their instigator escaped.

»www.cnn.com/2015/03/31/a ··· r-death/

Above hateful/criminal comment was left on the "answers to insulting comments of atheists page" in facebook. URL has bangla text, so may not show up:
»www.facebook.com/notes/% ··· nref=lhc

I am appalled that Facebook can't stop extremists from glorifying murders and posting new death threats.
lutful

lutful

Premium Member

Yet another blogger was murdered.

»bdnews24.com/bangladesh/ ··· to-death

Das, 30, used to blog on 'Mukto-mona’, a website propagating rationalism and opposing fundamentalism started by Roy, who was killed in February in Dhaka.
“Four armed assailants attacked him when he was going to the city in a rickshaw,” Hossain said. Das was rushed to the hospital, where he succumbed to his wounds.
A Twitter profile claiming to be of extremist group ‘Ansar Bangla 8’ said the al-Qaeda in Indian Sub-continent (AQIS) claimed responsibility for the killing.

A purported AQIS message warned of killing of more “atheist bloggers”.

»www.theguardian.com/comm ··· ijoy-das

The slaughter in the street of the Bangladeshi science writer Ananta Bijoy Das by assailants armed with machetes marks the third time this year that an atheist has been murdered in that country for his opinions.

The government’s reaction has been weak, where it was not indifferent. Two young men were arrested after a previous murder, but only after they had been seized by onlookers, not the police.

Hate spews from USA/Canada and Europe ... and sadly some real fighter for "freedom of expression" are brutally murdered in the real front lines of the global struggle against these lunatics.

saillaw
Premium Member
join:2007-05-08
Dismay

1 recommendation

saillaw

Premium Member

Where is the outrage from the peaceful Muslims? Where is their outrage against the attack that killed 40 in Pakistan today?

The Moderates need to get control of the religion.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

said by saillaw:

Where is the outrage from the peaceful Muslims?

The outrage is not shown on TV, probably because it will contradict the carefully cultivated opinion about muslims and islam.

There have been parallel protests in Dhaka, the moderates having hundreds of thousands of activists, and the reporters went to the smaller fundamentalist rally.
lutful

lutful to saillaw

Premium Member

to saillaw
»www.thenews.com.pk/Today ··· ondemned

ISLAMABAD: Almost all the politicians, including prime minister and federal ministers, civil society and people from other walks of life strongly condemned the firing incident on a bus in Karachi
Jamaat-i-Islami (JI) Ameer Sirajul Haq strongly condemned the incident and termed it an act of ‘barbarianism’ and ‘terrorism’. The JI, he said, condemned terrorism in its all forms and manifestations. ... He voiced concern over the involvement of foreign elements in terrorism activities, who wanted to dent national unity and fan sectarianism in the country.

He is probably thinking of the usual suspects, but I am asserting that rogue intelligence operatives (from Canada, UK, Germany, Australia and US) are pretending to be terrorist sympathizers and financiers, and actively recruiting some lunatics for high profile attacks, which help their puppet masters get elected, and fan the flames of islamophobia.
lutful

lutful

Premium Member

Nilodri Chatterjee (aka Niloy Neel) was brutally murdered in his own home during the afternoon of Aug 7 in Dhaka.

Original local news: »www.dhakatribune.com/cri ··· ed-dhaka

Protest march: »www.dhakatribune.com/ban ··· y-murder

Claimed by Al Qaeda in Indian Subcontinent (AQIS) but probably a local banned group.
»www.dhakatribune.com/cri ··· loy-neel