All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pkats
join:2003-02-13

pkats

UBNT & ePMP POE

I have mostly UBNT equipment in my network and I'm looking to add the ePMP stuff. They have different POE adapters that change the polarity of the POE. Has anyone plugged in a unit with the wrong POE? Will it fry the unit? I have not tried this myself but I know it will happen by accident some day and I would like to know what to expect.
Chele
join:2003-07-23

Chele

I was wiring a UBNT radio directly to DC system and I downloaded the wrong pin-out(Motorola). The UBNT radio gave that wonderful aroma of fried electronics:( The radio had the polarity inverted for about 5 minutes before I realized the screw up, but it survived. I tape the cable to the appropriate power supply when we have to use different voltages near each other.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA

viperm to pkats

Premium Member

to pkats
I make a jumper to reverse the pairs at one site we did like this, other then that I would assume it would fry the radio as mentioned above.
raytaylor
join:2009-07-28

raytaylor to pkats

to pkats
I have fried a few radios by wiring them up wrong.
However there is a rumor in the ubnt forums that the new nanobeams etc are polarity neutral - they must have a polarity correcting diode in them - which probably makes sense as they do have gigabit ports which uses all four pairs for data.