New FCC internet law

They passed this new law yesterday for open internet. Will it effect FIOS

Thanks
SDunused
join:2015-01-13
belgium

2 edits

SDunused

Net Neutrality or no, VZ was already purposely congesting Netflix traffic last year in order to get Netflix to pay them a premium. After Netflix paid VZ they provided non-throttled/congested traffic to Netflix services.

expect to see these types of tactics continuing into the future.

also you should expect internet prices to go up since this law was passed.
if they truly can't take premiums from big dogs like Netflix or Hulu anymore, they will get their money from somewhere, (HINT: us)

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

Expect what tactics to continue? That's what this bill was all about, to prevent the Netflix tactics.

Branch
:D
Premium Member
join:2014-07-22
VHO 4

Branch

Premium Member

Yes, I agree with MattCarl. This bill outlaws said tactics...
SDunused
join:2015-01-13
belgium

2 edits

SDunused

said by Branch:

Yes, I agree with MattCarl. This bill outlaws said tactics...

you guys trust a government issued bill, we all saw where that got us with Obama care. All seems like a good idea at first.

"open internet" monitored by the government on their terms.
we'll see how this goes.

what's funny is VZ's peering has been failing since Christmas 14' again, it's almost like they were getting ready to win this whole Net Neutrality ordeal so they were purposely allowing routing/peering points to fall apart beforehand
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL to Branch

to Branch
The FCC determination that the Internet will be regulated as a utility (like both land-line and mobile phone systems) is not a law. It applies an existing law to the Internet. It will likely not include cost or business controls, just like the approach taken for mobile phone systems. But it will allow regulation of things like a neutral (you can't give for priority for your own traffic over other, for example) traffic control model and, also -- and perhaps more importantly -- privacy controls that current ISPs mostly ignore.
Shady Bimmer
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03

1 recommendation

Shady Bimmer to SDunused

Premium Member

to SDunused
said by SDunused:

Net Neutrality or no, VZ was already purposely congesting Netflix traffic last year in order to get Netflix to pay them a premium. After Netflix paid VZ they provided non-throttled/congested traffic to Netflix services.

Please let's not turn this into yet another one of those threads. There are far too many of them already.

Sadly there are many different opinions of what "net neutrality" means. As the saying goes, opinions are like *ssholes: Everyone's got one.

The details of what exactly will be covered, what it means, and how it will impact the consumer have not yet been disclosed. All we know is that this seeks to bring modern broadband under 70+-year old laws.

Only time will tell but things may get interesting.

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

nothing00

said by Shady Bimmer:

The details of what exactly will be covered, what it means, and how it will impact the consumer have not yet been disclosed.

I'm a huge fan of more competition and better broadband for this country. I'm not part of the "Congraulations! Title II has passed the FCC!" crowd. I need to see exactly what was passed and whether it will actually maintain and enhance the open, innovative platform the Internet has been and provide a better value to consumers in the [near] future.

This was not a bill. This is not a law. This is a ruling by the FCC under authorization that a pre-existing law gave them.

Bovan
@grandenetworks.net

Bovan

Anon

Too soon to tell but the FCC now has the power to do things like require access be extended to existing infrastructure, poles etc etc which will make it easier for ISPs to enter new markets.

I think that will be one of the big points of emphasis by the FCC. Promoting more competition.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by Bovan :

Too soon to tell but the FCC now has the power to do things like require access be extended to existing infrastructure, poles etc etc which will make it easier for ISPs to enter new markets.

I think that will be one of the big points of emphasis by the FCC. Promoting more competition.

They did not include "unbundling" in this proposal, so you will not see competition in the last mile networks like you did for DSL.
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87 to enigma1944

to enigma1944
The only thing that would give this law any real power is to enforce LLU. Anything else probably won't have any teeth to give ISPs real concern after they file their appeals suit and water it down.

Ike2
@verizon.net

Ike2 to SDunused

Anon

to SDunused
Bigger Government and Higher Taxes......and eventually rationing like in ObamaCare.

enigma1944
join:2005-08-23
Pittsburgh, PA

enigma1944

Thanks for all your answers. It appears to be a confusing issue. The FCC is a controlling entity and as such can establish regulations and nothing more. Law in this country is established by Congress.

I think we need laws to control the internet because it is one of the spaceships of the future.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to enigma1944

to enigma1944
I was with Mark Cuban on Net Neutrality when he said "Why fix something that is not broken".....

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

It was broken, look at the Netflix fiasco, that's what started all of this

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

matcarl, read this great CNET article. You can't compare the Netflix interconnection deals with Net Neutrality:

»www.cnet.com/news/comcas ··· trality/

somebodeez
MVM
join:2001-09-24
here

somebodeez to SDunused

MVM

to SDunused
said by SDunused:

also you should expect internet prices to go up since this law was passed.
if they truly can't take premiums from big dogs like Netflix or Hulu anymore, they will get their money from somewhere, (HINT: us)

They have been raising prices all along. That is nothing new.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

1 recommendation

matcarl to nycdave

Premium Member

to nycdave
said by nycdave:

matcarl, read this great CNET article. You can't compare the Netflix interconnection deals with Net Neutrality:

»www.cnet.com/news/comcas ··· trality/

That story is from a year ago. Part of the new bill is to make sure nothing shady is going on with paying for connections. Netflix had Open Connect deals with several providers, but a lot wouldn't take it, so they reluctantly paid the ones that wouldn't. This bill takes a close look at all those complaints. Netflix is happy with the decision and here is their point of view:

»www.multichannel.com/new ··· e/388395
Reeaalist
join:2014-07-31
Corona, NY

Reeaalist

This site explains all with Net Neutrality.

»www.battleforthenet.com/

Also you get comedian John Oliver talks about it.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

That link doesn't work in IE and in Google Chrome it's asking me to fill out a form to Congress with my name, address, and email, forget it, I guess I can't see the video.

tito79
join:2010-03-14
Port Saint Lucie, FL

tito79 to Reeaalist

to Reeaalist
Yeah because its a joke leave the internet the way it is law suits coming usa will be broke faster than trillion dollar budget,

nycdave
MVM
Melville, NY

nycdave to matcarl

MVM

to matcarl
It doesn't matter that the article is almost a year old. The same principle is true today.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

But did you read the other side of the story that I posted from Netflix?

nycdave
MVM
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

Yes, there's 3 sides to every story.

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

2 recommendations

nothing00 to nycdave

to nycdave
said by nycdave:

You can't compare the Netflix interconnection deals with Net Neutrality

And from the article:

The short answer to your question is that the dispute between Netflix and Comcast is not a Net neutrality issue because it does not have to do with how Comcast is treating Netflix's traffic once it's on the Comcast broadband network. Instead, it stems from a business dispute the two companies have over how Netflix is connecting to Comcast's network.

That's... wrong. If we accept that nonsense above then 'net neutrality' means absolutely nothing.

It wasn't a business dispute about how Netflix was connecting to Comcast's network. Netflix wasn't connecting to Comcast's network. Comcast decided to discriminate against traffic based on its origin - Netflix.

Discriminating against traffic is what net neutrality is all about. Comcast attempted to use the transparent cover of a peering dispute to do this. And that's why interconnection agreements are supposed to be covered in this latest ruling.
kmwoolls
join:2013-10-04
Spotsylvania, VA

kmwoolls to enigma1944

to enigma1944
will this new law affect the PSN and Xbox Live? Will it help the downloads for games and updates?

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to matcarl

to matcarl
said by matcarl:

Matcarl, I look forward to a couple years from now when the courts have played out the FCC Ruling and every Internet customer is complaining about $75/yr in new fees and charges since it's now regulated as a Public Utility...
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87

said by bohratom:

said by matcarl:

Matcarl, I look forward to a couple years from now when the courts have played out the FCC Ruling and every Internet customer is complaining about $75/yr in new fees and charges since it's now regulated as a Public Utility...

Yes, yes - I too hate competition

Pureblood
'Let's Go Brandon'
Premium Member
join:2000-10-18
PorkRoll NJ
·Optimum Online
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WAX630

Pureblood to enigma1944

Premium Member

to enigma1944
The administration’s plan to create a “free and open Internet” means, as usual, the opposite of what it says. As Gordon Crovitz explains in the Wall Street Journal, it is really a monumental, bare-faced power grab.

sludgemaster
Premium Member
join:2005-12-06
Bronx, NY

2 recommendations

sludgemaster to enigma1944

Premium Member

to enigma1944
To be clear, the FCC did not pass any law -- the FCC can't pass laws -- only Congress can. The FCC proposed some new regulations, that if approved after public notice and comment, may regulate broadband service like phone service under the existing law.
The FCC hasn't even released the text of the proposed regulations yet.
Yes this will affect Verizon. In fact it came about because Verizon successfully sued the FCC to invalidate its previous attempt at regulating broadband.
Verizon also supplied major motivation for the FCC to act when it blackmailed Netfilix into paying for prioritization. This became the prime example of why the FCC needs to regulate broadband.
This will also provide subscribers like us with some teeth when Verizon sells us broadband service at particular download/upload speeds and fails to deliver.
As usual Verizon shot itself in the foot -- twice! This is what happens when an 800 lb. gorilla begins to loose weight!
Verizon will likely file an action in the D.C. Circuit Court to invalidate the regulations if they are promulgated.
In the meantime you can expect more of the same shenanigans from them until we can enforce against them under the new regulations.
By shenanigans I mean shaking down users for prioritization fees, refusing to pay for upgrades to peering, poor routing, and refusing to deliver the services they contracted to deliver.
It will be about a year and a half until game over.