spc
Search similar:

uniqs
doechsli
join:2003-11-26
Louisville, KY

doechsli

[Carpentry] Notching 6x6 Post

I have a project on tap for the summer and it will require me to notch a 6x6 vertical post to accept a 4x6 post to form a right angle. The plans call for the 6x6 to be notched in the middle so that 1 inch of material remains on each side. That means that I will need to remove a "block" 4 inches wide by 6 inches deep (actually 3.5x5.5 but I digress). Normally I would use a circular saw/chisel and kerf a notch but it won't go that deep (5.5 inches). Anyone have an alternative? Sawz-all? Hand saw? I hope my description was clear enough......

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg

MVM

mark it out, drill holes all the way thru at the corners, then saw it out either with a small handsaw or a sawzall.

I hope this does not have to support much weight, removing that much from the middle of the 6x6 will kill its load bearing capacity!

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

said by davidg:

I hope this does not have to support much weight, removing that much from the middle of the 6x6 will kill its load bearing capacity!

If all the weight is coming from the 4X4 that's being inserted into the notch, and if the notch and 6X6 are vertical, it will be fine as long as through bolts are used to hold the 4X4 in place.
doechsli
Louisville, KY

doechsli

The weight is on the timber inserted in the slot.......and it will be bolted as you describe.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to doechsli

Premium Member

to doechsli
You still may want to run this by the Metro Construction Review/permit department,
(502) 574-3321. I'm not sure what you're building but it sounds like it's going to be large enough to require a building permit so it needs to comply with codes. It's easier to talk to them upfront to make sure what you are planning on doing will meet the requirements they have. If you don't they may make you take it down and redo it.

Tursiops_G
Technoid
MVM
join:2002-02-06
Brooksville, FL
ARRIS TM1602

Tursiops_G to doechsli

MVM

to doechsli
Do you happen have (or have access to) a Drill Press? If so, you can buy a Mortising Drill attachment that will make quick work of it...
Otherwise, perhaps you might be able to rent a 1/2 HP Mortising machine for a day...(?)

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to doechsli

MVM

to doechsli
Do you have a drawing?
I am having a hard time imagining this.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

Grumpy4 to doechsli

Premium Member

to doechsli
How about split the difference and half the notch in each?

»upload.wikimedia.org/wik ··· .svg.png

Some glue and screws or bolts and it's as strong as the full mass of either.

bobbagels
Just Another Scorpion Mechwarrior
Premium Member
join:2000-11-15
Matawan, NJ

bobbagels to doechsli

Premium Member

to doechsli
I know EXACTLY what you wanna do.
I do it all the time when I do decks. Especially on the elevated houses I do. When a house is elevated more than 4' the code here is mandatory to notch ALL our post's.

To make the notch in the middle of the 6"x 6" we use circular saw first, then finish it up with both the saws all and jig saw. Its easy and should cause you no grief at all.

Also you could make the notches on either side of the 6x6 and bolt em in but if your drawings show in the middle follow that. Actually when notched in the middle, thats the better job.
(must be bolted as well)

"I hope this does not have to support much weight, removing that much from the middle of the 6x6 will kill its load bearing capacity!"
No offense to anyone, but that is total BS. Notching is how its done.

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member
join:2012-10-20

Tex to doechsli

Premium Member

to doechsli
said by doechsli:

That means that I will need to remove a "block" 4 inches wide by 6 inches deep (actually 3.5x5.5 but I digress).

Maybe I'm dense or you're not clearly explaining what you intend to do, but how do you remove 5.5" of a 6"X6" when a common 6"X6" is 5.5"?

Msradell
Premium Member
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by Tex:

said by doechsli:

That means that I will need to remove a "block" 4 inches wide by 6 inches deep (actually 3.5x5.5 but I digress).

Maybe I'm dense or you're not clearly explaining what you intend to do, but how do you remove 5.5" of a 6"X6" when a common 6"X6" is 5.5"?

You remove 3.5" in the middle of the 5.5" of the 6x6! The slot you cut will be 5.5" deep.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

This comes back to my request for an illustration of the desired cut.
doechsli
Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

doechsli

here is what I'm building.....

»lumberjocks.com/projects/65776

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

That notch is a rabbet joint.

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member

Tex to doechsli

Premium Member

to doechsli
Are you talking about this joint?

doechsli
Louisville, KY

doechsli

exactly....

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member

1 recommendation

Tex

Premium Member

That post is not notched down the middle. You don't notch posts down the middle. The remaining lumber would be too thin and risks failure.

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium Member
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC

4 edits

1 recommendation

The E

Premium Member

Most notching I've seen (including my deck) is "L" shaped.
Two inches of material would be left on one side, the 4x rests on the shoulder of the notch, then bolted.

Msradell
Premium Member
Louisville, KY

Msradell to Tex

Premium Member

to Tex
said by Tex:

That post is not notched down the middle. You don't notch posts down the middle. The remaining lumber would be too thin and risks failure.

Actually, if you look closely at the picture it is notched in the middle! If you look closely at the drawing you can see that the being that if that is opposed is much narrower in the post extends up the other side. Kind of unusual but it probably looks much better.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold

MVM

There may be two different middles you are talking about

The notch is NOT in the middle of the 6x6 (defining middle as somewhere between the two ends of the post), instead the notch is at the top end of the post.

The notch is centered in the middle of the top end of the 6x6 with roughly 1 inch of wood remaining on either side. The 4x6 rests inside this notch.

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member

Tex to Msradell

Premium Member

to Msradell
I don't know what picture you're looking at, but it is not notched in the middle.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Eliminate the confusion and call it a rabbet. Then everyone knows it's on the end. I would question whether it's a notch at all as notches tend to be cuts in the middle as opposed to the end.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to Tex

Premium Member

to Tex
said by Tex:

I don't know what picture you're looking at, but it is not notched in the middle.

If you look at this picture the cross support which is lined up with the top beam is spaced in from the edge of the 6X6 IMO

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

1 recommendation

LazMan to doechsli

Premium Member

to doechsli
Some people are making it overly complicated - use a circular saw to cut as deep as you can for the vertical cuts; finish with a saws-all and jig saw. Clean it up with a good sharp chisel.

Code around here requires notching as well; although a shoulder cut would be more common - aesthetically, for something exposed, centred would be fine to.

Work slow, measure twice, cut once - it's no big deal...

Msradell
Premium Member
Louisville, KY

Msradell to SparkChaser

Premium Member

to SparkChaser
said by SparkChaser:

said by Tex:

If you look at this picture the cross support which is lined up with the top beam is spaced in from the edge of the 6X6 IMO

That's definitely what I'm seeing! You can see where it stops before the far side of the upright. Both in the picture you showed plus the details shown earlier.