Living the Vegas life.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Las Vegas, NV
·CenturyLink

VegasMan

Premium Member

2013 SHO Popping/rattle noise

Noticed a rattle/pop noise coming from what seems to be the right front at low speeds and more noticeable over small bumps, not really heard on smooth pavement. It sounds like a ball in a cardboard box. I thought something in the glove box was rattling but that wasn't it.
There is a current recall for the half shaft possibly coming lose. Does this sound correct for this failure. Or maybe a possible strut bushing?

I'm going to have my wife take it in next week for the recalls so I'm trying to get a better idea the sound might be because it's out of warranty.

Car has 41k on it.

Thanks
fixrman
From a broken heart to a hole in the sky
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Hatboro, PA

fixrman

Premium Member

It could be either condition or neither. Make sure to get the issue logged as a separate line item in the RO so that it gets investigated.
mob (banned)
On the next level..
join:2000-10-07
San Jose, CA

mob (banned) to VegasMan

to VegasMan
A half shaft moving out of tolerance would be very noticeable at all times when the car was moving, so your culprit is probably a bushing or strut /strut mount failing.

Or...you could have a friendly local critter using your car as storage for the winter.

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
join:2002-12-21
Mabinay

Asiabound to VegasMan

Premium Member

to VegasMan
Maybe it's the anti-rattle/springs for the brake pads. That would be the first thing I would check anyway.
Stick your finger through the rim and see if you can make a brake pad move. They shouldn't budge.

VegasMan
Living the Vegas life.
Premium Member
Las Vegas, NV
·CenturyLink

VegasMan

Premium Member

said by Asiabound:

Maybe it's the anti-rattle/springs for the brake pads. That would be the first thing I would check anyway.
Stick your finger through the rim and see if you can make a brake pad move. They shouldn't budge.

Tried that already.
VegasMan

VegasMan to mob

Premium Member

to mob
said by mob:

Or...you could have a friendly local critter using your car as storage for the winter.

Don't even bring that up. A few years back I had that happen on my Pontiac. $2400 in rewiring and she was good as new.

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
join:2002-12-21
Mabinay

Asiabound to VegasMan

Premium Member

to VegasMan
Good luck, then.

Mospaw
My socks don't match.

join:2001-01-08
New Braunfels, TX

Mospaw to VegasMan

to VegasMan
My 2010 Flex SEL EcoBoost is basically the same car mechanically. It does something kind of similar once in a while. I'ts been doing it for the 2.5 years I've owned it and my dealer has never found a problem.

I think it's the traction control activating. I can trigger it reliably at a specific store exit that has a bit of an incline and I think that my right front wheel lifts just enough to lose enough traction to make the car think it's slipping. And this happens at very low speeds and almost no throttle.

But my sound is more like a grinding for a second or two and I can feel some pedal modulation. So I might be off base.

VegasMan
Living the Vegas life.
Premium Member
Las Vegas, NV

VegasMan

Premium Member

Yeah I don't thing it is that. I know that sound and feeling.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to Mospaw

Premium Member

to Mospaw
sounds like a vibrator?

VegasMan
Living the Vegas life.
Premium Member
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

VegasMan

Premium Member

Well it ended up being a sway bar. $300 and all done.

Mospaw
My socks don't match.

join:2001-01-08
New Braunfels, TX

Mospaw

Glad you got it taken care of.