All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Dab
@sbcglobal.net

Dab

Anon

[HVAC] Do i need a different thermostat to run a multispeed blower?

We just upgraded our HVAC. It's big and it's LOUD. It's a 4 bedroom house and about half of it (sq foot wise) is usually empty and those vents and doors are closed. The guy who installed it said it's a multispeed blower - but that it is only multispeed when it turns on. He says it saves energy by starting slow, then going faster, then faster, until it reaches full speed - but that there is no dual stage where it runs at 50% all day. Is this true? or did he just sell us a cheap thermostat and a new one would solve it?

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

Even when you have dual speed or variable speed blowers they are not controlled by the thermostat. Thermostats can control heating units that have two different stages but not fan speed. Many new blower units have a slow start up like yours has

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to Dab

Mod

to Dab
Dual stage refers to the heat part of the furnace and not the blower part. Did you buy a dual stage furnace or a single stage furnace with variable speed blower?

Ken
MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Ken to Dab

MVM

to Dab
Why don't we start with what furnace and thermostat do you have? My thermostat does control the speed of my blower, but that isn't very common.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to Msradell

Premium Member

to Msradell
said by Msradell:

Even when you have dual speed or variable speed blowers they are not controlled by the thermostat. Thermostats can control heating units that have two different stages but not fan speed. Many new blower units have a slow start up like yours has

Yes, but typically a two-stage furnace will run the blower at a slower speed when the thermostat calls for stage 1. If you have a cheap thermostat with a two-stage furnace, the furnace may be configured to stay in stage 1 for some number of minutes and graduate to stage 2 automatically. My two-stage furnace is configured that way - I don't have quite enough wires for 2 stage heating and cooling, and we don't really use the heat all that much (relatively) in SoCal for me to bother fixing it. I really wanted 2-stage for the AC portion.

To the OP, if you have the make and model # of your new furnace we can figure it out pretty quickly.

Dab
@sbcglobal.net

Dab to Ken

Anon

to Ken
It's kind of hard to tell - everything just says "american standard" on it. There are a few model numbers but not really sure what they are for.

I THINK this one is the blower: TAM7B0C60H51SCB
I don't see any other model numbers, but i am going to guess the heater itself is 1 stage. it also has an AC unit - all in the same appliance.

I think the thermostat might be ACONT802AS32DAA

Forgive me if that's not a model number, i'm totally new to all this

Thanks!

Termites
@cox.net

Termites to Dab

Anon

to Dab
said by Dab :

We just upgraded our HVAC. It's big and it's LOUD. It's a 4 bedroom house and about half of it (sq foot wise) is usually empty and those vents and doors are closed. The guy who installed it said it's a multispeed blower - but that it is only multispeed when it turns on. He says it saves energy by starting slow, then going faster, then faster, until it reaches full speed - but that there is no dual stage where it runs at 50% all day. Is this true? or did he just sell us a cheap thermostat and a new one would solve it?

Am guessing that you have a Trane XR-16? What info you provided so far.your thermostat is for Multi-Stage give use the model to your unit.because the XR-16 comes with the option of Multi stage.

Multi stage units do run at 45% my new unit does and it ramps up as it needs it to full power 100%
I have the wifi honeywell pro vision 8000. My unit is 4 stage heat 2-3 cool.
Termites

Termites

Anon

said by Termites :

said by Dab :

Am guessing that you have a Trane XR-16? What info you provided so far.your thermostat is for Multi-Stage give use the model to your unit.because the XR-16 comes with the option of Multi stage.

Multi stage units do run at 45% my new unit does and it ramps up as it needs it to full power 100%
I have the wifi honeywell pro vision 8000. My unit is 4 stage heat 2-3 cool.

Don't close your Vents or doors the unit needs the return air 3 ton unit is about 1200Cfm... Don't choke the unit..

It's a myth that closing vents save..

Dab
@sbcglobal.net

Dab

Anon

thanks for the help! i'll open those other vents.

as far as the multi stage - it always comes on at 100% i mean it starts up at maybe 20 to 50%, but within 30 seconds it's on full blast. i can hear it about every 5 seconds stepping up to a faster speed - maybe there are 5 steps or so. is there something in the programming or the wiring that could be wrong? the guys who installed it said that this wasn't possible to have it run on low for longer but didn't really give much explanation why. that's why i thought it was the thermostat.

also the unit is upstairs and the thermostat is downstairs - not sure if that makes any difference