spc
Search similar:

uniqs

brian650
@comcast.net

brian650

Anon

Stand alone malware tools?

I'm looking for some good stand alone (no install required) malware removal tools that once downloaded do not then require an internet connection to be updated.

I'm mainly looking for apps that can scan for keyloggers & rootkits, but any kinds of malware/virus tools would be helpful also.

I will be scanning mostly XP (32bit) but may want to check a Win 7 (64 bit) PC also.

Thanks in advance for any help.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

ESET has a number that are designed for specific infections:
»www.virusradar.com/en/to ··· cleaners
»kb.eset.com/esetkb/index ··· SOLN2372

TheJoker
MVM
join:2001-04-26
Charlottesville, VA

TheJoker to brian650

MVM

to brian650
Since some removal tools don't automatically remove, but require interpretation of the results based on research to determine if a file or Registry entry is bad or not, you may want to consider applying for training at one of the ASAP or UNITE associated training programs offered at sites like Spywareinfoforum, Bleepingcomputer, WhatTheTech, and others.

Links to participating schools and sites:
»uniteagainstmalware.com/

amazingm
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
USA

amazingm to brian650

Premium Member

to brian650
Emsisoft Emergency Kit needs no installation: »www.emsisoft.com/en/soft ··· are/eek/
art22gg
Premium Member
join:2005-02-16
Courtenay, BC

1 edit

art22gg to brian650

Premium Member

to brian650
»www.techrepublic.com/blo ··· l-times/

»www.mcafee.com/ca/downlo ··· ger.aspx

»www.microsoft.com/securi ··· ult.aspx

»www.superantispyware.com ··· LEFOLDER

»securityxploded.com/spyd ··· over.php

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline to TheJoker

Premium Member

to TheJoker
So, the ASAP go-to list is no longer a go-to list.
»asap.maddoktor2.com/

GroundPoundr
join:2005-04-15
Stockton, CA

1 recommendation

GroundPoundr to brian650

to brian650
Herd Protect one of the better ones out there, they make a portable version.

»www.herdprotect.com/

Also Malwarebytes
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

Yeh id say malwarebytes as well.

I would like to see more thumb drive type portabe avs and as programs. Where you unzip to a drive run it update and it puts the new sig files in a sig directory of the drive. In other words no install no registry just a hard wired tool/signature type set up. That is how one of my fave file managers work 2xexplorer. I can slap it on a thumb drive change settings etc and all is saved on the drive.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to brian650

Premium Member

to brian650
Mcafee stinger (listed already)
ClamWin portable
Kaspersky Virus Removal tool (does update but as long as you keep the downloaded version updated)
Kaspersky TDSSKiller
AVZ utility - more technical; does like to be online but can work without Internet
Vipre Rescue
Emisoft Emergency Kit
Sophos Rootkit Remover
Hitman Pro

Every malware/anti virus company has some sort of tool and some are specific and some are database update required - it's the path of the future but generally most will have something.
The above are just a few

This is a handy link (excuse cross forum posting)
»www.bleepingcomputer.com ··· canners/

There are more specialized tools too there and be made aware, they need special knowledge to use.

TheJoker
MVM
join:2001-04-26
Charlottesville, VA

TheJoker to siljaline

MVM

to siljaline
said by siljaline:

So, the ASAP go-to list is no longer a go-to list.
»asap.maddoktor2.com/

I wouldn't say that, and didn't mean to infer that, but while it's a list of associated sites, its not specifically a list of sites that offer training.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

2 edits

Dustyn to GroundPoundr

Premium Member

to GroundPoundr
Trying this one out now.
Sounds similar if not slightly better than HitMan Pro?
If you have any experience with the two, how does this one fair?
EDIT: Tried it. It's a nice addition to my existing tools. I do find that scans take a while to complete.
Although, an info screen was presented to me about scanning again in 30 minutes? And that subsequent scans being faster afterwards?

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline to TheJoker

Premium Member

to TheJoker
I really don't know why someone requiring disinfection assistance would require training of any kind.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to brian650

MVM

to brian650
Any tool you use should be updated as close to use as possible. Even though they are stand alone and don't update when run they need to be kept up to date.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

1 edit

1 recommendation

redwolfe_98 to brian650

Premium Member

to brian650
i would recommend using kaspersky's rescuecd.. you have to download the ISO file and then burn it to a USB flash drive.. it will be pretty much up-to-date when you download it, but there could still be additional updates available, if you run the updater..

using microsoft's "rescuecd", which is named "windows defender offline", would be another option, except, from what i have heard, it won't run on old computers.. it has the same "system requirements" as windows 8, which uses technologies that are built into newer processors..

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay to brian650

MVM

to brian650
I have used Zemana Antilogger, the paid for addition, for some time now, but they have a free one too. I think that it does have to be installed and have the Net to update it if you don't have the paid for one though. I am pretty certain it's not what you're looking for, but check it out and decide for yourself.

»www.zemana.com/product/a ··· verview/