onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

Samsung

I had no idea that Apple was selling better than Samsung. With all those different kind of Samsung phones out there, some with a much lower price than Apple, you would figure Samsung would be way ahead.
I mean, I've had an iPhone since the 3G. And I never strayed because of how well it's made, the simplicity of use, there is no bloat ware installed on it from the carriers, and the carrier name isn't plastered everywhere on the damned phone (ya know, as if you forgot who you are with).

I guess people are starting to realize...Quality over quantity...

»9to5google.com/2015/02/2 ··· -freeze/

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by onebadmofo:

I had no idea that Apple was selling better than Samsung.

They don't (usually) sell more volume, but they have better margins. This quarter when Apple finally introduced large form factor iPhones, they just barely edged out Samsung in total volume - a trend that will likely end once the installed base of iPhone users finish their migration to the 6.

I guess Apple finally realized... that bigger phones sell better.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

Not only has Samsung been losing sales, based upon the article below...
More Android users are switching to iPhone than at any point previously measured
Apple has been gaining users from other Android OEMs as well.

Of all the iPhone 6 models sold since the launch of the iPhone 6, Tim Cook said that only 15% of new iPhone purchases were from shoppers upgrading from a previous iPhone. I interpret that as, only 15% of customers were old customers and that 85% of the sales were either people who've never had a smart phone or people who've jumped ship to the iPhone from Android (or other platform).

If you ask me, Google, Android, and the Android OEMs should be running scared. I have a feeling that people, including myself, have been waiting for Apple to come out with a bigger iPhone and once they did that they immediately jumped ship to the iPhone.

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium Member
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

Thespis to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
The reality:
"Google’s market share shrank by 1.6 percentage points to 76.6 percent of the total smartphone market."
»www.geekwire.com/2015/ap ··· e-sales/
More than 75% of all smartphones sold run Android. They aren't going away any time soon.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7 to onebadmofo

to onebadmofo
This thread threatens to become a Samsung hater's band wagon. Also, comparing android (a OS) to Apple (a hardware manufacturer) is not fair. Android by it's nature has to be more flexible than iOS to work on the plethora of devices it works on. You don't hear about people flashing iOS onto non Apple phones, so it's not the software people are buying. I think its the package, even the branding, that have people continuing to buy Apple products even when hardware changes are minimal.

Also, isn't Samsung gong to be making the A9 chip for Apple? Can't claim Samsung is all junk and then turn around and use their products in your phone.

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK

Majestik to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
I read that back in November somewhere that they wasn't selling as many of the that new S phones. Most in know went to Samsung and others because of the size. I've notice most at work are saying they are tired of the tinkering with the android and just want to just pick it up and use it. I guess it gets old after a while.
Tmobile had so many new customers and iphone orders they had a few issues new customers had to deal with.

I still can't get over how expensive cell phones are but the iphone plus was the best choice for me. It actually lowered my bills overall.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

3 edits

Thinkdiff to Hard Harry7

MVM,

to Hard Harry7
said by Hard Harry7:

You don't hear about people flashing iOS onto non Apple phones,

That's because you can't. Not because people don't want it.

If somebody found a way to make iOS work on a shitty $100 phone, it'd probably be a best seller.
said by Hard Harry7:

Also, isn't Samsung gong to be making the A9 chip for Apple? Can't claim Samsung is all junk and then turn around and use their products in your phone.

Samsung is a huge company that has many branches. One is a semiconductor fab. The A-series chips are all completely designed by Apple, but Samsung (and others) fabricates the physical chips. Similar relationship to Apple designing the iPhone and Foxconn building it. The quality of their fab has no bearing on the quality of their phones.

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

said by Thinkdiff:

That's because you can't. Not because people don't want it.

Good point. What I was trying to say was, if you found a way to put it on a 100$ phone, it would probably be as prone to bugs and problems that people say android phones are. IMO alot of iOS stability and ease of use comes from Apple's ability to focus the software very well to their specific hardware. I find it similar to how video game consoles are able to keep pace with PC games even though the PC can have much better hardware.
said by Thinkdiff:

The quality of their fab has no bearing on the quality of their phones.

If it had no bearing, then why did Apple pay 100's of millions of dollars to avoid it?

"..... Apple spent about $400 million to get PA Semi and Intrinsity and tens of millions more for a license from the U.K.'s ARM (ARMH), which provides the base intellectual property behind just about every mobile chip. Apple then likely forked out more than $100 million over the past four years on chip engineers and research."

»www.bloomberg.com/bw/art ··· -samsung

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

3 edits

1 recommendation

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Chip design and fabrication are two incredibly separate fields. I design chips every day, but I would never be able to run a modern fab in a million years. Apple has been pouring tons of money into chip design, and arguably they are one of the best chip design houses in the world after only a few years.

Apple does the technically difficult part - designing the architecture of the CPU, making the individual parts, creating the system, doing the layout of the chip, testing, etc. Then they pass off a single file with the complete design to Samsung. Samsung does the physically difficult part (in terms of cost, actual physics, etc). They simply turn Apple's design into a physical chip. Think of it as the difference between writing War and Peace and hiring somebody to print it. Samsung is just "printing" Apple's chips.

Granted, Apple has been trying to switch to other semiconductor fabs to avoid giving Samsung so much money, but that's a multi-faceted strategy. It's generally never a good idea to rely on a single supplier for such an important part of your product, so Apple has been working with TSMC to tool-up their fabs to get the same quality as Samsung's in hopes that they can use both. It's very unlikely Apple will ever be able to completely leave Samsung's fabs unless Intel wisen up and allow access to their's (which are already better than Samsung's).
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned) to onebadmofo

to onebadmofo
It don't suprise me much really. Like johninsj mentioned they just introduced a large form factor phone. That is going to get them a few% on its own. Apple has always had a close second place behind samsung. If apple ios was open source or on non apple products apple would lead the ios market and samsung the android market in sales. And we would see similar figures (in percents) Over all apple i products have very little market share in smart devices.
Nanaki

Nanaki (banned) to Hard Harry7

to Hard Harry7
That is true. Apple like samsung uses synaptic to drive the touch screen. In fact all smart phones do. As for samsung parts in other phones you would be surprised at how many lcds in other phones are samsung lcds. I found a samsung galaxy s2 display in a htc phone (forget model now) When i say the s2 display i mean i was able to plug it in to a s2 mother board and it worked perfectly. Conections etc all exactly the same.
Nanaki

Nanaki (banned) to Majestik

to Majestik
See i just don't see this need to tinker with a android to get it to work. I see that you can tinker with it as much as you want. Other than my tossing on themer just because i could my moto g is currently strait stock with no tweaking. My ol kindel fire hd 8.9 has been modded a few times it is running cyanogenmod cm11. Long story about that one. But long story short it was reported as stolen and bought strait from best buy after the fact.

I can pick up any of the android phones we have in stock here and use it. I can transfer files between them contacts between them etc with out any problem. Even with itunes icloud etc it is always hit and miss with iphones.
Nanaki

Nanaki (banned) to Thinkdiff

to Thinkdiff
And then apple turns around and tries to sue them. To me that is just a stupid move. With out samsung apple would be dead.
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned) to onebadmofo

to onebadmofo
Apple will never be the leader in market share. They don't sell cheap phones high volume, thin margins. But their quarterly profits show that you don't have to be the leader in the market to make the most amount of money, just have the highest profit margins and a sizable market share. I think Apple makes decent products, but I really believe they wouldn't be in the position they're in today without the Apple trademark. I think this is why Microsoft is having such a hard time. Branding and reputation everything and if people have an unsatisfactory memory of your products it does't matter how good it is, they won't give you the time of day if they have other options.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

Windows phones just do not have the apps. I love the build quality of most all of the windows phones. I love how responsive the touch is etc. But with out the apps they just wont do well.
DarkSithPro (banned)
Tempe, AZ

1 recommendation

DarkSithPro (banned)

said by Nanaki:

Windows phones just do not have the apps. I love the build quality of most all of the windows phones. I love how responsive the touch is etc. But with out the apps they just wont do well.

I bet you a large portion of potential customers would immediately decide against a Windows phone just because of the name "Windows". Key words such as Internet Explorer and Windows will trigger bad memories of malware and crashes which is devastating for a company.

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7 to DarkSithPro

to DarkSithPro
said by DarkSithPro:

make the most amount of money, just have the highest profit margins and a sizable market share.

Isn't that a nice way of saying Apple makes more money by selling fewer of a cheaper product at a higher price point? If so, then we agree. XD
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned) to DarkSithPro

to DarkSithPro
Never really had those issues and i have always had at least 1 normally 2 computers running windows. I almost always have a linux box running bind for my dns needs firewall etc. Normally i just toss together a smoothwall box and call it a day though lol.

But as we have seen recently there are more and more malware programs out there for android and mac and a few on ios. It like all things is driven by market share. All operating systems are full of holes many are security related ones. With out them there would not be jail broken iphones or rooted droids. I just rooted my moto g today and unlocked the boot loader. Took me sub 20 minutes and another to get all my apps back.

DarkSithPro (banned)
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned) to Hard Harry7

to Hard Harry7
said by Hard Harry7:

said by DarkSithPro:

make the most amount of money, just have the highest profit margins and a sizable market share.

Isn't that a nice way of saying Apple makes more money by selling fewer of a cheaper product at a higher price point? If so, then we agree. XD

Having not just the phone design in house, but the OS as well means the phone will generally be more stable and faster, taking advantage of every piece of hardware like a console does. That's probably why people see benchmarks where a dual core Apple A whatever chip matches, or exceeds the current gen Qualcomm quad core soc. Also the phones exterior is metal, not plastic, meaning premium materials. So I'm at a loss as to what you mean by cheap?
DarkSithPro

DarkSithPro (banned) to Nanaki

to Nanaki
said by Nanaki:

But as we have seen recently there are more and more malware programs out there for android and mac and a few on ios.

You mean a jail-broken iPhone, right? So if it's not rooted then there is 0 malware, meaning NONE out there for the iPhones, right.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
said by Majestik:

they weren't selling as many of the that new S phones.

It doesn't help that for the most part each new addition to their Galaxy lineup of phones was nothing but interative updates, nothing really spectacular. Yes, I know that Apple is somewhat guilty of doing the same thing but at least Apple appears to actually be trying and Samsung, I don't know what they are doing other than making TouchWiz an even bigger boat anchor.
said by Hard Harry7:

IMO alot of iOS stability and ease of use comes from Apple's ability to focus the software very well to their specific hardware.

Part of it comes from the fact that Apple knows the hardware inside and out along with the software and thus can marry the hardware and software together far better than anyone else can.

It doesn't help that the Android OEMs can't seem to write good quality software to save their lives. Their add-on crap often pulls the device down so badly that you practically need that quad-core CPU in it to come close to decent performance. Case in point, TouchWiz. I've not seen anything outside of games eat so much CPU and RAM as TouchWiz does, it's a resource pig of the worst kind.
said by Nanaki:

Windows phones just do not have the apps.

True, Windows Phones don't have the apps and because of that they don't have the userbase. A lot of companies who make smartphone apps just don't see the need to make Windows Phone apps because the demand isn't there. There's got to be a sizable userbase to support an app ecosystem, which Windows Phone just doesn't have. Windows Phone is a failure and in a lot of ways I wish that Microsoft would realize this and stop trying to one-up everyone else (which inevitably results in failure) and get back to where Windows has been highly successful... the desktop.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

to DarkSithPro
It is only a matter of time. And i have seen brpwser high jacks already on earlier ios vers.
DarkSithPro (banned)
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned)

said by Nanaki:

It is only a matter of time. And i have seen brpwser high jacks already on earlier ios vers.

Ahaaa; I was speaking facts, not hypothetical. I anticipated a response like this Just admit it. The Apple ios security model is more secure than Android.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

said by DarkSithPro:

The Apple ios security model is more secure than Android.

I would say yes, mainly because security updates for those who are using Apple devices get those security updates rather quickly.

Compared to Android's fragmented nature in which you just have to hope that your carrier will be nice to you and give you that Android update your device needs. Which more often than not, doesn't happen.

I'm not at all saying that Apple doesn't have security issues, that isn't at all what I'm saying. What I am saying is that unlike in the Android camp, users of Apple devices are guaranteed to get timely updates so when a security issue does come about in iOS those users are going to get the update the closes the security hole.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
Windows phone could have been an Apple Killer. From an ecosystem angle MS still dominates desktop computing and they have the second most popular gaming console. If MS had actually made their divisions work together you would have had a home entertainment setup before Apple was even thinking about set top devices.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

said by Kearnstd:

Windows phone could have been an Apple Killer.

The number one reason why it didn't happen that way is Steve Ballmer. He was the wrong person for the CEO position.

There was far too much infighting inside the halls of Microsoft instigated by Ballmer and team which cause much of the dysfunction that the new CEO, Satya Nadella, is trying to clean up after. He's got a long and hard road ahead of him if he wants to clean up Microsoft and get them back on track, I wish him luck; he's going to need it.
trparky

trparky

Premium Member

There's also the thought that I don't think Microsoft could have done it even if they did have the right person in the CEO position. Microsoft's reputation is too tarnished by the lack of security seen in many of their programs and products. Many people associate Windows with viruses and security lapses. They need to clean that reputation up before people start to trust them.

Right now, people run Windows because more often than not, they don't know any better or the computer they bought was preloaded with it. Most people don't know that other alternatives exist and that Microsoft isn't the only option. That and the fact that Windows is basically the industry's standard.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

Being the industry standard is also why MS cannot solve lots of problems. Apple has before and likely will again issue a major OS update that makes anything before that version simply no longer work.

MS is bound to stacking legacy code atop legacy code. They can never just start with a proper clean slate.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

Yeah, it's a wonder that Windows runs as well as it does considering the two decades of shitty code that's in it. If Microsoft could "pull an Apple" and say to the industry that they're going to re-write the whole damn thing, I'm sure that we would end up with a far more elegant solution that runs far better and on less hardware than we have now.

I'm also sure that there would be far less security issues because most of the security holes that need to be patched as of late have been in the decades old code and people wonder why some of the patches have been buggy, because nobody knows the old code anymore. The people who do have moved on years ago.
Nanaki (banned)
Akron, OH

to DarkSithPro
it is only a matter of time before someone find a way to use say the same exploit that is used to jailbreak iphones to infect ios at the root level. In fact they can likely do it now but do not want it to be found out.