spc
Search similar:

uniqs
swindler
join:2007-04-30
Flower Mound, TX

swindler

Good choices for universal remote?

I've been a FiOS customer since 2005, and at that time, I had three DVRs, all of which came with a remote which could control the volume on an AV receiver. All three of my setups have AV receivers, and so this was an essential need, but all I use the remote for is to change the volume. I leave the receiver on, and perform video switching manually when needed.

I've had several DVR swaps since then, but Verizon stopped providing remotes with the DVR swaps, so eventually my remotes got old. So now I have remotes that are so worn that you can't read the buttons anymore, but moreso there are a few keys which don't work well (like the 'OK'). You have to smash it to get it to work. I've tried disassembling and cleaning, but it's only slightly better.

So I ordered a $15 replacement remote via the STB support menu, and received a remote which I've now learned supports only two devices and has no ability to control volume on an AV receiver. After investigating at verizion.com and reading threads on this forum, I see this was changed years ago - so that Verizon doesn't have to support peripheral devices which may or may not work with the remote. I find this to be a very selfish and short-sighted act on Verizon's part. But I do admit that it is consistent with Verizon's mission statement of providing the least amount of support as possible.

For the TV the only thing I really need is ON/OFF, and for the AV receiver the only thing I really need is volume. This is why this is so frustrating, as we all need a fully functional remote for the STB which logically needs to come from the provider, and most people need so little as far as controlling the TV and AV equipment, that it only makes sense that this is native to the remote provided.

Sorry about the ramble, but now I'm faced with buying a universal remote that can offer me what the Verizon remote does not. Ideally, I would like to find something that fully supports the STB command options, and then has minimal capability for TV and AV control. I've tried Harmony remotes in the past, and aren't a big fan of them, but would consider them again. Are there universal remotes than can be recommended by anyone in this forum?

Perhaps one approach would be to find an old four-device remote that is in 'like new' shape. Are there outlets for refurbished versions of the four-button remote?
Myzteziz
join:2014-06-26
Port Richey, FL

Myzteziz

Me and a few others on here use Logitech Harmony 650 remotes.
In my opinion they work great and are pretty much future proof since you can program just about anything with them.

As far as refurbished 4 button remotes you can get used or even new cheap ones on ebay.
marc3565
join:2009-10-08

marc3565 to swindler

to swindler
Verizon was selling the 4 button remotes. but i don't see them listed currently.
»teleproducts.verizon.com ··· Products

dcowboy
join:2012-05-10
Pequannock, NJ

dcowboy

Used to be able to order 1 free remote per yr from fios - did they stop doing that ?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by dcowboy:

did they stop doing that ?

Yes.

CeeZee
join:2007-04-11
Wynnewood, PA

CeeZee to swindler

to swindler
I just got the Harmony 650 and am kicking myself that I didn't do it years and years ago. Very responsive and simple to set up.
swindler
Flower Mound, TX

swindler

I see several votes for the Harmony 650, and might give it a try. I have an old Harmony 880 which only lasted six months before the battery swelled. At the time, I had read that battery overcharging was very common for their line, and gave up on it. I'm assuming Logitech is clear of that issue with their new models?

For me, it wasn't about spending money on another solution. It was about being denied what I expected to be a simple and basic feature. And to have had it for 10 years and have it pulled back, made me a little PO'd.

When I posted, I had just come off a FiOS chat which left me very frustrated. I'm a little more calm now.

Thanks for the comments.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

I have had a number of Harmony remotes, but I have switched all my TV's to Harmony 650. They are stellar remotes, and once you learn all the nuances on myharmony you can really make them do amazing things. Also you can have multiples and control them (the older ones made you have an account for each one).

They often go on refurb. I think I paid $40 or so refurb (I have 4 of them).

»www.amazon.com/gp/offer- ··· urbished
marc3565
join:2009-10-08

marc3565 to swindler

to swindler
One option is to walk into a Fios store with the 2 button and ask if they have any 4 buttons returned you can swap for. When i was swapping a box the lady gave me 2 of the 4 buttons.

VzKid
@mycingular.net

VzKid

Anon

Call the FSC we still sell the four button remotes if you want one. They are $17.99 though.

CeeZee
join:2007-04-11
Wynnewood, PA

CeeZee to swindler

to swindler
I used to get the 4 button ones from eBay, new. But they wear out so quickly it finally spurred me into getting a universal one. Also the Harmony 650 seems to work from a wider range of angles than the FIOS one ever did.
Myzteziz
join:2014-06-26
Port Richey, FL

Myzteziz to swindler

to swindler
said by swindler:

I see several votes for the Harmony 650, and might give it a try. I have an old Harmony 880 which only lasted six months before the battery swelled. At the time, I had read that battery overcharging was very common for their line, and gave up on it. I'm assuming Logitech is clear of that issue with their new models?

The 650 uses 2 standard AA batteries so no worries about overcharging a built in battery. I use the remote a lot and can go a good 3 months on them. I did recently switch to rechargeable AA batteries though. I used to buy big packs of batteries at Sams Club, but figured I'd just use rechargeable ones.
swindler
Flower Mound, TX

swindler

I found an old four button remote in the drawer that stopped working years ago. (I'm bad at throwing things out.) So I took it apart and swapped the keys with my working one and now I have a like new remote. Problem solved...for one anyway.

I am still going to try the Harmony 650 at some point. So many people seem to like it. But I might try getting a battery for the 880 first. Truthfully, I'd just rather have the AA cells, but since I have the 880 I will give it another try to see if I didn't give it a fair shot last time.

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium Member
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

Thespis to swindler

Premium Member

to swindler
I've been using two URC MX350 remotes with a MRF 250 IR addressable receiver for almost 15 years. Still going strong.
»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· 5HJ31P6F

Branch
:D
Premium Member
join:2014-07-22
VHO 4

Branch

Premium Member

Call FiOS and ask for retrntion, then ask them for the 4 buttons for free. If you are nice, they will give em to you.
fishacura
join:2008-01-25
Phoenixville, PA

fishacura to swindler

to swindler
+1 for harmony. Awesome UI to program and always getting updated.